Page 104 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1086

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

Yes we've been getting a bit off topic and I'm sorry about that

In the interviews I've heard Page has been kind and polite and I do believe his mellowed with age. He was very pleasant in It Might Get Loud also. On the other hand in the books I've read that contain both researched material and memories from associates there's a lot of evidence of his ego. His studio working habits, his dealings with women, his life style with a castle for home and cars he didn't drive himself and a collection of rare expensive guitars and bizarre Aleisteir Crowley stuff, his drama queen style of moving and playing on stage, his dramatically coloured clothes with the symbols, him being upset about a Plant book that was going to be published in the seventies etc. speaks of large ego at least to me even if we don't believe all of those stories. Of course there is also a lot of good to be said about him, like his charity work and later years' commitment to his family plus historic events like his trip to China. His greatness simply has a downside and he's quite a complex personality in my opinion but I guess that goes with being an artist(especially a really famous one) as their art is always about themselves in one way or another. I accept this as a fact.

This is my interpretation and it definitely isn't the whole truth. I just wanted to point out that considering how rockers live their lives it's really odd to me to claim they don't have somewhat enlarged egos as fame and riches and fan worship affect anybody who gets a load of them.

I'll give this a rest and agree to disagree for now to avoid going more off topic.

While typing this I once again started thinking how great stories these band members have however I might otherwise frown on the actions in them. So I would be interested to share your experiences about Led Zeppelin related interviews, books and stuff. For example I happened to find a Jimmy Page biography that was new to me last time I went to the music library. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact name but I think it was something like Jimmy Page:the man, the magus, the musician. I read some of it while in the library and it was definitely interesting, a bit heavy on his Crowley interest but otherwise good even if most of the stuff isn't exactly new information. It just goes a tad deeper than probably most Led Zeppelin books. I think I'm going to get it and read it properly.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm gonna have to say I disagree. I think people would go nuts to see JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham with a new singer in a new band. I mean, look when Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes...HUGE SUCESS. Everyone loved it.

Of course guitarists and drummers can have egos but from what I've seen, nothing like lead singers.

I still say that people put way too much faith and credit in the frontman, and not near enough on the band. I might just resurrect that thread FP reminded me of. It's a topic I could talk forever on and try to keep this thread more on topic. I suggest anyone who wants to talk lead singer vs the rest of the band continue it over there.
    Sorry Austin, but your dislike of lead singers appears to prevent you from having any appreciation of Plant's role at all. You think he's just another singer. He isn't. You obviously have no interest in Zeppelin's lyrics, just the noise (you are very similar to my husband in some ways).

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Sorry Austin, but your dislike of lead singers appears to prevent you from having any appreciation of Plant's role at all. You think he's just another singer. He isn't. You obviously have no interest in Zeppelin's lyrics, just the noise (you are very similar to my husband in some ways).
    Not at all...I'm just saying I don't see anything wrong with a new band featuring JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham that happens to play Led Zeppelin music. They can play their solo stuff too, but I think they should continue to play LZ music in some form. They don't need to call themselves Led Zeppelin (and the more I think about it, I'd prefer a new name for them that to call themselves LZ), but I don't think Page should refrain from playing Led Zeppelin songs with other people.

Again, the combination of Chris Robinson and Jimmy Page was great. Was it Led Zeppelin and sounded exactly like Plant, of course not. But it was enjoyable for me. I'd hate for Page not to be able to play his classic riffs anymore for an audience.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Not at all...I'm just saying I don't see anything wrong with a new band featuring JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham that happens to play Led Zeppelin music. They can play their solo stuff too, but I think they should continue to play LZ music in some form. They don't need to call themselves Led Zeppelin (and the more I think about it, I'd prefer a new name for them that to call themselves LZ), but I don't think Page should refrain from playing Led Zeppelin songs with other people.

Again, the combination of Chris Robinson and Jimmy Page was great. Was it Led Zeppelin and sounded exactly like Plant, of course not. But it was enjoyable for me. I'd hate for Page not to be able to play his classic riffs anymore for an audience.
    None of them have any solo stuff worth mentioning unless you count Bonham's work with Black Country Communion. Plant, on the other hand....

Regarding Page's work with the Black Crowes I think I attempted to listen to some of it and hated it. We have the live album. Perhaps I will give it another try.

You obviouusly believe that Plant can be replaced and nobody would care. You seem to have no time for him or any appreciation of his talent and just lump him in with all these other egocentric singers you talk about. I'm not going to repeat myself any further so I'm bowing out.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think the only issue here is if those three without Robert Plant did tour as Led Zeppelin, would people show up? Would they fill the seats? Of course the guys would be SLAMMED in the media and by many fans, but so what? If the guys are having fun every night and making money and some fans turn up and enjoy the show, with someone else singing, who cares? The Eagles perform TITTL, to much resentment from Randy fans, but who cares? LZ would be an entire show of that!

I for one really enjoyed hearing Taylor Hawkins, the DRUMMER from Foo Fighters, sing Rock 'n Roll in Wembley Stadium with JPJ and JP and Dave Grohl absolutely wailin' away on drums - it was awesome! He doesn't sing like Robert Plant and wasn't trying to - they were just having a blast up there. I wasn't offended that they were playing that song without RP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFciwFJrg8

I can't remember what channel it was on (VH1), but I saw a tribute to Jim Morrison that featured some of the guys from the Doors and different lead singers filling in. I remember Ian Astbury from the Cult, a fan who sounded just like Morrison (a la Journey), Scott Weiland and others, and it was great. Obviously, he is dead and Plant is NOT, so that makes things different, but I really enjoyed the show.

I have no problem with Robert Plant not wanting to do it, but the other guys shouldn't have to sit home. I guess that's my take. Get some rad singers for a tour, male and female, and let them have at it. The fans who think its a travesty will stay home, and those who want to hear some LZ will go.

I enjoyed seeing a video with the Foo Fighters and Jimmy Page playing a couple of Zep songs, nothing wrong with that even if JPJ had joined them, obviously the guys can't sit at home and do nothing, they can do what they will as long as they don't try to sell it as Led Zeppelin, your idea of taking several different singers MC suggests an interesting scenario I'd be ok with because it would be different enough from the original

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I think the only issue here is if those three without Robert Plant did tour as Led Zeppelin, would people show up? Would they fill the seats? Of course the guys would be SLAMMED in the media and by many fans, but so what? If the guys are having fun every night and making money and some fans turn up and enjoy the show, with someone else singing, who cares? The Eagles perform TITTL, to much resentment from Randy fans, but who cares? LZ would be an entire show of that!

I for one really enjoyed hearing Taylor Hawkins, the DRUMMER from Foo Fighters, sing Rock 'n Roll in Wembley Stadium with JPJ and JP and Dave Grohl absolutely wailin' away on drums - it was awesome! He doesn't sing like Robert Plant and wasn't trying to - they were just having a blast up there. I wasn't offended that they were playing that song without RP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAFciwFJrg8

I can't remember what channel it was on (VH1), but I saw a tribute to Jim Morrison that featured some of the guys from the Doors and different lead singers filling in. I remember Ian Astbury from the Cult, a fan who sounded just like Morrison (a la Journey), Scott Weiland and others, and it was great. Obviously, he is dead and Plant is NOT, so that makes things different, but I really enjoyed the show.

I have no problem with Robert Plant not wanting to do it, but the other guys shouldn't have to sit home. I guess that's my take. Get some rad singers for a tour, male and female, and let them have at it. The fans who think its a travesty will stay home, and those who want to hear some LZ will go.
    Very well put, MC! I think you nailed it. Go ahead and do it and have fun, but don't call it LZ!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I love Led Zeppelin, they are definitely one of my favourites and they are my go to hard rock band. They could definitely do more than just hard rock though and I enjoy their blues or folk influenced songs just as much if not more than the Whole Lotta Love or Black Dog type songs.

I'd rank the albums I've heard as follows:
    1) IV - I agree with the general consensus of this being their masterwork. I like Four Sticks, I think it has a good riff and an interesting sound, but the rest is fantastic - Black Dog confirmed that the monster hard rock Led Zeppelin sound from I and II was back, Rock And Roll continued this with extra energy, Battle Of Evermore is very powerful considering the simplicity of the instrumentation, Misty Mountain Hop has another strong riff and interesting lyrics, Going To California is beautiful with great lyrics and I reckon When The Levee Breaks stands as the band's ultimate fusion of the blues with hard rock. And then there's this little known song called Stairway To Heaven... yes, it might be overplayed, but it remains a terrific piece which builds superbly. All in all it has great variety and is a fusion of the music they made before but not without new ideas either.

2) II - Although I think IV is the best album this is probably the one I enjoy playing the most. It lives up to its nickname of the Brown Bomber as it contains several of the most distinctive riffs in rock music - see Heartbreaker, The Lemon Song, Bring It On Home and of course Whole Lotta Love, all of which I love. Livin' Lovin' Maid is fun and also rocks and I really like the blues-influenced What Is And What Should Never Be. There is also some diversification from the blues/hard rock sound with the lovely Thank You and the acoustic Tolkein-inspired Ramble On while Bonham plays a good drum solo on Moby Dick assisted by a neat intro riff. All in all it's strong throughout and really rocks!

3) Physical Graffiti - Definitely one of the best double albums I think, there was easily enough strong material to justify making it a double. Disc one (sides one and two if you prefer) is a tour de force, Custard Pie is a great opener and the high quality is maintained through The Rover, the epic In My Time Of Dying, Houses of the Holy and the funky Trampled Under Foot. I actually didn't love Kashmir immediately but now I really like it. I also rate In The Light (dynamic with a great combination of synth and rock music), Ten Years Gone (excellent guitar work), The Wanton Song (great riff) and Sick Again (good hard to rocker to close) highly, and have a great fondness for the short acoustic instrumental Bron-Yr-Aur. The only songs I don't love are Night Flight and Black Country Woman although I don't consider them bad. Boogie with Stu is silly but is fun rock 'n' roll nonetheless!

4) I - I consider this to be one of the greatest debut albums of all time, at a similar level to Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Pronounced...' Good Times Bad Times was a great way to introduce the band to the world, and the excellent Communication Breakdown while Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, How Many More Times and my own favourite Dazed And Confused show the dynamics of their music and give a sense that it could explode at any moment. The two blues covers are both good, You Shook Me being the better of the two I think. Your Time Is Gonna Come is much underrated - its combination of hard rock drums with soft rock guitars is great, while Black Mountain Side is a pleasant instrumental with acoustic guitar and tablas.

5) III - I think this album is underrated. The introductory Immigrant Song is absolutely brilliant and is definitely my favourite here, but Friends/Celebration Day, the bluesy Since I've Been Loving You and the rocker Out On The Tiles make for an excellent side one. I understand why some fans don't care for the acoustic folk-rock on side two but Gallows Pole is quite thrilling and extremely well arranged, an increased maturity in the songwriting here is shown on the gorgeous Tangerine (I love that pedal steel) and the thoughtful That's The Way. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp is good fun too. The only track I don't care for is Hats Off To (Roy) Harper but it has grown on me somewhat.

6) Houses of the Holy - Although only sixth in my list this is still a great album! Over The Hills And Far Away is a true classic and a perfect example of 'light and shade', while I think the explosive opener The Song Remains The Same and the rather progressive No Quarter also stand as real highlights. The Ocean is great too, and has a very cool riff, while The Rain Song is beautiful both musically and lyrically. Dancing Days is good although not a personal favourite. The Crunge and D'yer Mak'er are not great songs but they do both make me smile - I used to prefer the latter but now think the former is better as the humour is more sophisticated and musical whereas the latter is a one jo-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-ke song.

7) Presence - It's a good album and it does rock hard, but it just isn't as good as the first six. Having said that, Achilles' Last Stand is an awesome song, Royal Orleans is funny while Tea For One, For Your Life and Nobody's Fault But Mine are also quite strong.

I have not heard Coda or In Through The Out Door in full although I heard a couple of songs from the latter on a classic rock station I was listening to on my computer (I think one of them was Fool In The Rain) and wasn't terribly impressed.

Overall I would say the relative importance of their music and lyrics varies from album to album, but the lyrics improved from III onwards - as much as I love I and II the later albums show a clear broadening of subject matter beyond the 'cock rock' of their 1969 releases, so for instance I consider the lyrics of Going To California to be perhaps that song's greatest virtue whereas Whole Lotta Love's primary appeal to me is in its classic guitar riff.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Has anyone else on here heard of Yuletide Zeppelin? Someone has taken a number of Led Zeppelin songs and incorporated well known Christmas compositions into them, for example by replacing the guitar solo on Whole Lotta Love with the vocal melody of Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

I think it's really well done, some of the matches are just cool (Rock And Roll with Jingle Bells is great fun!) while others like the pairing of Dazed And Confused with Carol of the Bells have a great atmosphere.

Here's Yuletide Zeppelin I:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCXuyIXOj08

I don't read through this thread too much--but I can't believe how emotionally charged the discussions about Led Zeppelin and a possible regrouping have been!

I would only note that Mr. Plant and Mr. Bonham were both band members in Band of Joy before they became members of Led Zeppelin. I would think that Mr. Plant would have been adamant about the missing John Bonham and his contributions to Led Zeppelin, and that he might have stood up for his missing friend in a discussion about the future of a Led Zeppelin regrouping. I would also think that Jason Bonham would be a great choice for a set or new material!

Mr. Page has recorded some nice playing on The Firm's two solo albums, (with Bad Company/Free's Paul Rodgers on vocals), and on his solo album "Outrider." I think it is congruous that his persona has often been quiet and understated in the media, and that he would additionally have a strong ego to perform the lead guitar role in Led Zeppelin.