Thread: Does Your Music Taste Reveal How Smart/Dumb You Are?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Does Your Music Taste Reveal How Smart/Dumb You Are?

Someone put together a chart on SAT/ACT scores and who the people are fans of. I didn't see where it said how far back in time they went. Fans of our guys didn't fare too well. I wonder how it would compare to a chart of fans back in the day?

It's interesting, even if I doubt it means anything. In overall categories, those who listen to Gospel music were below those who listen to Rock or Classic Rock, HipHop, R&B, and Country. However, individual Christian Contemporary bands listed were higher than Gospel overall (I wouldn't put them in the same category).

Dylan and U2 fans rank pretty high.

Closer to home, I'm shocked that fans of Hendrix and AC/DC scored higher than Eagles fans. Go figure.

This is a link about the chart, and this is the actual full length chart.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Default Re: Does Your Music Taste Reveal How Smart/Dumb You Are?

That's ridiculous. I love The Eagles and other music from the 70's. I am also a huge heavy metal and death metal fan, and also enjoy some country music as well. I'll admit I'm no Mensa member, but I'm certainly not an idiot, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    That's ridiculous. I love The Eagles and other music from the 70's. I am also a huge heavy metal and death metal fan, and also enjoy some country music as well. I'll admit I'm no Mensa member, but I'm certainly not an idiot, either.
    I agree with you WW. Honestly I don't see what type of music you prefer has to do with how smart you are. What if you do have a huge range of music you like, as I do. Who thinks up these charts anyhow?

I think it's pretty telling that he only used college current college students scores. Data can always be made to look however you want it to. I did get a chuckle out of Lil Wayne being dead last, and Beyonce wasn't much better (although I'm sure she'd be offended) I don't much care for either of their music.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

In answer to the thread title, if that chart is anything to go by ... no way!

Personally I stopped paying the chart any real attention when I noticed that Coldplay fans were apparently more intelligent than Pink Floyd fans - I quite like Coldplay's early music (their last two albums have been poor) and they are one of the few bands all my family actually like but many of the Coldplay fans I've come across on the net just come across as fangirls/fanboys who seem to love anything the band does - I have lost count of the number of times when I've read comments saying that all their music is great and that the band is just evolving (when IMO they've clearly dumbed down over the years). Floyd fans, in my experience, tend to be rather more discerning.

I personally think it's important to rate the music a band makes on its own merits rather than just because it's by a band you like - for instance, I do not care for songs such as I Wish You Peace, Absolutely Curtains or Hats Off To (Roy) Harper but as the bands in question made so many more excellent songs that they are not a stain on their reputations and I probably enjoy The Last Resort, Time or Dazed And Confused (plus many others) more for knowing that those songs are so much better than the ones I mentioned earlier.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I have a 4.0 GPA and I'm obviously a huge Eagles fan....
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.