Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Don's new album(s) in progress

Default Re: Don in the press

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    Dolly Stewart?
    What, you mean you guys haven't heard that Dolly Parton ran off with Rod Stewart to Las Vegas for a quickie wedding after some hasty divorcing?

"Have I told you, Dolly, that I love you... have I told you there's no one else above you... fill my heart with gladness... take away all my sadness... show some cleavage, that's what you do."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

LOL!!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, I guess that settles it then. Unless, of course, Ronnie is confused (but why would he be?), or the final track listing hasn't been decided yet.

Well, I think this is being done to attract people who might not otherwise buy the CD. Even if Don gets told that the hardcores are unhappy, the hardcores do not make up the vast majority of the buying public. Indeed, most hardcores will buy anything Don puts out anyway.

On the other hand, the inclusion of Eagles songs might attract the casual buyer. Look how well Common Thread sold (admittedly, that was almost 20 years ago). I think this is a business decision, plain and simple - especially since Ronnie Dunn was specifically told to mimic the Eagles arrangement exactly. That suggests to me that Don isn't re-recording these out of burning desire to give Eagles songs a new artistic reinterpretation. JMHO.

Look on the bright side. At least we're getting a few new songs. Some folks, like Rod Stewart and his five American Songbook compilations, don't even give their fans that.

Plus, it's cool to hear that icons like Dolly Stewart will be appearing. How about "Islands in the Stream"? Speaking of IITS, I imagine Kenny Rogers will be appearing as well, since he discovered Don. At least, I hope he will. I think he's great.
    A FEW. The objection here is to the apparent decision to re-record Eagles songs.

And of course the elephant in the room is... most of the Eagles' 'country sounding' songs were sung by Glenn. I know Don has sung Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone & Lyin' Eyes live. What if he records those and then decides perhaps he should sing them live with the Eagles?

I don't think that is very likely but I see precisely no reason to rework his old songs. No reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    A FEW. The objection here is to the apparent decision to re-record Eagles songs.
    Well, there could be more than one objection, ya know! At any rate, like I said, I was trying to look on the bright side.

I know Don has sung Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone & Lyin' Eyes live. What if he records those and then decides perhaps he should sing them live with the Eagles?

I don't think that is very likely
    It's beyond unlikely. This scenario is absolutely preposterous.

but I see precisely no reason to rework his old songs. No reason at all.
    No artistic reason, perhaps, but it might get him some more green.

Maybe Ronnie thought it would be funny to get everyone to freak out. LOL Seriously though, I'm just excited for a new album regardless of what songs are on it. Maybe I'll complain once I see an official album list but until I'll be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    Seriously though, I'm just excited for a new album regardless of what songs are on it.
    I'm with you there. A new CD of Don to over.
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by ive always been a dreamer
    I guess Don's not alone, but I can't say that I'm rejoicing over the notion of artists releasing remakes of their own hits.
    TOTALLY AGREE....WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?????????????

No, Don's not alone by any means. I mentioned earlier the success of Rod Stewart's cover albums, and that has not gone unnoticed. This is a trend that has been growing for years, especially as classic rock artists continue to tour successfully and find themselves with a fanbase that laps up their older material but perhaps is not as keen on listening to new material that they don't recognize.

I can see how an album consisting mostly of covers and re-releases would be very appealing. Quick, easy, profitable...

1) You don't have to take the time to write a lot of new songs that may or may not go over well; no stressful agonizing over every lyric and note; no sweating over whether your new songs live up to the old material.

2) People who may not buy an album of all-original material will be more likely to pick up an album with a lot of old favorites, getting you more money and also getting any new songs you include some additional listeners.

3) You can record them much more quickly, especially if you make minimal changes in arrangements. You already know what they're going to sound like. There's a reason why Don Henley, famous for his painstaking perfectionism, nonchalantly breezes through recording Ronnie Dunn's part on SBR in a couple hours. Just tell him to sing it like the Eagles do... what could be easier?

4) For those with contractual obligations to fulfill, these types of albums are a great way to take care of business with the record company. You want three more albums? Here's a greatest hits and a couple albums of covers. Ouila!

5) Including re-recordings of your old stuff mixed in with covers of other artists not only appeals to fans who like your older music, but also gives you a bigger profit margin as you have fewer royalties to pay.

While this type of album is not what I had hoped, I do understand the decision, and I still maintain that a few new songs is better than no new songs. Ideally, he'd do like Tim and Joe and put out all new material, but you can't always have the ideal. If it's this or nothing, I'll take this.

Think of it this way. At Pebble Beach in 2008, Glenn said he might do an album of big band covers. He also said he didn't think he'd ever release an album of entirely original material again. Now it looks like Glenn won't even do the album of covers. At least Don is giving fans something new to enjoy. When I view it in that light, I say, "I'll take what I can get."

I just hope the amount of "de-Eagled" versions of Eagles songs is minimal...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

While this type of album is not what I had hoped, I do understand the decision, and I still maintain that a few new songs is better than no new songs. Ideally, he'd do like Tim and Joe and put out all new material, but you can't always have the ideal. If it's this or nothing, I'll take this.
    Soda, I understand all of the arguments and logic for doing this, but I still don't like it. The difference for me is that if Don was putting out an album of all new songs, I would be one of the first in line to buy it just because it is Don. However, I don't know if I'll buy this album or not. I'll just have to wait and see what's on it. But this fan may not be spending my money to hear Don remake a bunch of old songs. So for me, if it's this or nothing, I'll just have to wait and see.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Think of it this way. At Pebble Beach in 2008, Glenn said he might do an album of big band covers. He also said he didn't think he'd ever release an album of entirely original material again. Now it looks like Glenn won't even do the album of covers. At least Don is giving fans something new to enjoy. When I view it in that light, I say, "I'll take what I can get."
    This, unfortunately, appears to be correct. I could write a very long diatribe on what I think of this situation; the 'I'll take what I can get' approach is not ideal but it is apparently more than Glenn will ever offer.