Page 12 of 145 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Same with Vince Gill. BTW I presume he's staying on with the Eagles indefinitly as well?

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

Outrage, soda? That's hilarious. No one said we should treat Deacon with kid gloves, but is anyone actually evaluating his talent or ability, or just the decision-making that's none of our business? Meanwhile, my comments should be "spared" while this thread is full of personal attacks against the band members for whom this entire website is dedicated. And now they're extending to Deacon, who doesn't deserve any of those petty, small remarks. Mostly because he is great. I was hoping the attacks would be beneath an Eagles-fan community that I have been mostly thrilled to be a part of for my entire life, but I have been proven wrong. My bad. I guess I should stop before I work myself into another outrage. I'll save the rest for the next inevitable reply to something ridiculous.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Exactly. I mean other than the times his dad ever brought him onstage, was he ever heavily into music to begin with? Especially "classic" music. He might have just learned to play and had other interests that he cared about more.
    I don't think Deacon is the songwriting type, but we'll see. I'd much rather see him doing his own thing with a new group or solo than be a caricature of his dad. Or if there is an interest outside of music, go pursue that. Be your own person.
    The one article I read about Deacon when this all was announced in March 2017, Deacon said he began playing guitar at age seven on "a baby Martin" Glenn bought for him. So some sort of musical desire was there. I saw last year on his FB page that he went school to study music production/ engineering. I think he has posted stuff on soundcloud(or whatever it's called). He appears to like hip hop type music like most of the kids his age. He certainly has talent, and the RS article in another thread Don stated he(Deacon) had wanted to start writing music. Deacon is 24. When Glenn wrote TIE he was 21-22 years-old. In an old you tube interview I saw years ago, Glenn said he was 23 when hie wrote TS and Desperado. As to Deacon's writing ability, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do hope he eventually pursues his own career - he appears to have the talent necessary. Certainly less talented people have made it in the music business.

PS - I would love to know when all those dates were booked for the tour next year. I'll bet they were in the process of being booked due to time constraints, before that interview was given.
    AS A SIDE NOTE: Like it or not, Deacon is now a very visible public figure. As such, he will have to get use to any criticism and of course praise written/said about him just like any other public figure. Not to sound mean or nasty - it is just fact.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 11-21-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    Outrage, soda? That's hilarious. No one said we should treat Deacon with kid gloves, but is anyone actually evaluating his talent or ability, or just the decision-making that's none of our business? Meanwhile, my comments should be "spared" while this thread is full of personal attacks against the band members for whom this entire website is dedicated. And now they're extending to Deacon, who doesn't deserve any of those petty, small remarks. Mostly because he is great. I was hoping the attacks would be beneath an Eagles-fan community that I have been mostly thrilled to be a part of for my entire life, but I have been proven wrong. My bad. I guess I should stop before I work myself into another outrage. I'll save the rest for the next inevitable reply to something ridiculous.
    Like it or not, Deacon is not immune from criticism just because he is Glenn's son. When he chose to take on this role, he opened himself up to criticism from those who see this as wrong. Truth is, we have been mostly treating him with kid gloves but it shouldn't be that way. Maybe we shouldn't comment on the value of his decisions, but his benefit to the band musically and the right or wrong-ness of those decisions of it is much to be discussed. He made his choices. That's fine.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    The one article I read about Deacon when this all was announced in March 2017, Deacon said he began playing guitar at age seven on "a baby Martin" Glenn bought for him. So some sort of musical desire was there. I saw last year on his FB page that he went school to study music production/ engineering. I think he has posted stuff on soundcloud(or whatever it's called). He appears to like hip hop type music like most of the kids his age. He certainly has talent, and the RS article in another thread Don stated he(Deacon) had wanted to start writing music. Deacon is 24. When Glenn wrote TIE he was 21-22 years-old. In an old you tube interview I saw years ago, Glenn said he was 23 when hie wrote TS and Desperado. As to Deacon's writing ability, I guess we will have to wait and see. I do hope he eventually pursues his own career - he appears to have the talent necessary. Certainly less talented people have made it in the music business.

PS - I would love to know when all those dates were booked for the tour next year. I'll bet they were in the process of being booked due to time constraints, before that interview was given.
    AS A SIDE NOTE: Like it or not, Deacon is now a very visible public figure. As such, he will have to get use to any criticism and of course praise written/said about him just like any other public figure. Not to sound mean or nasty - it is just fact.
    If Deacon truly loves music, then I am ALL for more younger people playing guitar and music. But I still think he should forge his own path. I'm not a hiphop fan but I'd give his music a listen and if I like what I hear, buy it without any reservation. I want Deacon to succeed, but as his own musician. I really do.

If anything, I hope his time in the "Eagles", will put him into a broader light so he has a chance to succeed in music unlike most that are uber talented but never get discovered.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Good food for thought NKIT, thanks!

To your point, when he was just starting out Glenn was hungry (both literally and figuratively) and believed that writing their own songs was the key to the level of success he hoped/wanted to achieve for the band. In Deacon's case, he approaches somgwriting from a different perspective but one that is uniquely his own. I really wish him all the best.

Second, Glenn warned of getting too enmeshed in the rock and roll lifestyle and the demands of touring and recording certainly took their toll on Glenn and the others. I trust the lessons learned have not been in vain.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Like it or not, Deacon is not immune from criticism just because he is Glenn's son.
    I'm going to leave this here just so we can all read it and marvel without it being surrounded by equally uninsightful comments.

Go ahead then, WalshFan, criticize Deacon. Have at it. What a fan you are. Better than me, that's for sure. You'll criticize Deacon Frey, like it or not. So brave. Take the shots. Not going to participate or even attempt to enjoy his contributions, but you'll be the first to line up when it's time to attack. What a fun existence! I wish I could learn to hate something that I've always loved, but dammit, I can't come up with the great things to say like "Like it or not." Tell us more, WalshFan. We're all so lucky to hear the thoughts of a guy willing to take shots at a 24-year-old with the gall to sing Already Gone. IN PUBLIC!!!!!

I'm going to leave this here just so we can all read it and marvel without it being surrounded by equally uninsightful comments.

Go ahead then, WalshFan, criticize Deacon. Have at it. What a fan you are. Better than me, that's for sure. You'll criticize Deacon Frey, like it or not. So brave. Take the shots. Not going to participate or even attempt to enjoy his contributions, but you'll be the first to line up when it's time to attack. What a fun existence! I wish I could learn to hate something that I've always loved, but dammit, I can't come up with the great things to say like "Like it or not." Tell us more, WalshFan. We're all so lucky to hear the thoughts of a guy willing to take shots at a 24-year-old with the gall to sing Already Gone. IN PUBLIC!!!!!
    Enjoy his contributions? I think it's pretty clear by now, EIK, that I DON'T. So I'm not a fan because I despise the new lineup, which is not even really the Eagles to me. Some ego you must have to put yourself on a higher perch because you are ok with this and we are not. But just for the record, I really don't care what you think of me or my "existence". Standing up for what I believe is right and equally calling out things I believe to be wrong is not a bad thing, as you seem to believe.

But by all means, keep patting yourself on the back through sarcastic posts to make yourself feel better about my disliking the Eagles continuing without Glenn. Do whatever it takes to help you sleep at night! I won't judge you. Adios.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

EIK - Your comments to Austin were very nasty and uncalled for IMO. He has just as much a right to express his opinion as you do. You do not have to like it but there is no need to get so nasty and make your attack so personal.
    Like it or not, Deacon Frey is now a public figure as a member of the Eagles. Therefore, he will have to take the compliments with any criticism leveled to/at him. I am sure he is will aware of this and probably discussed all of this with his mother before he made the decision to join the band. Deacon is 24 - a grown young man. He is in fact older than his father was when he founded the Eagles in August 1971. Glenn was only 22(he turned 23 in Nov.that year). No one that I know of has said that Deacon is not talented. If someone says they hope he pursues his own path in life there is nothing wrong with that. It is simply their opinion, which they have a right to say - the same right as you have to disagree with it.
    This is just my opinion but I felt it necessary to say something.

Banned

I agree, there would be nothing wrong with that, if that is what was said. Except that it wasn't. Dang. Instead, it was said that "it looks bad" that Deacon is riding Glenn's coattails. Or whatever the verbage was. Keep me posted, however, on which strangers it is acceptable to make personal attacks against. Now that we know it's okay to level them against Deacon, I assumed posters were fair game, as well. But unlike Austin, who quickly backtracked, I'll stand by my thoughts and stand up for Deacon. Whether you like it or not.