Page 65 of 145 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

The Eagles radio channel may play some songs from live performances by the faux Eagles but for the most part, it celebrates the real deal.

At any rate, in the absence of Souther actually saying he's changed his mind, logic dictates that we assume he hasn't.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The Eagles radio channel may play some songs from live performances by the faux Eagles but for the most part, it celebrates the real deal.

At any rate, in the absence of Souther actually saying he's changed his mind, logic dictates that we assume he hasn't.
    I would tend to agree with this, although there are plenty of folks who seem to have changed their mind about this with no explanation. Just because, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    All of these changes in 2 short years.

Actually though, these 2 short years seem so long.....

I have not posted any of my feelings here because it just makes me sad. All of my longtime EAGLES buddies know how I feel about the guys continuing, it just does not make sense to me.
    Mainly because I agree with GA..... "The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn. It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it."

Since Glenn's passing, I have been to the guys' solo shows - Timothy twice, Joe once and Don once at his Runaway Tour and then his birthday concert. Loved all of their solo concerts and will continue to support their solo efforts. However I cannot make myself go to one of the band's concerts. It was hard enough when Timothy and Joe were on stage with Don at his birthday concert. I cannot imagine how I would feel seeing Vince or Deacon singing Glenn's leads. It would be too sad for me.

But as others have said, we are all different and have our own reasons for going/not going. I have found this thread interesting in reading the discussion. And I feel the purpose of the thread is to express our feelings, no criticism or judgement needed.

I was texting a friend earlier and we were both reminiscing about how excited we would all get when EAGLES concert dates were announced. We would be texting and calling each other on what cities & dates would work for us. The craziness we went thru getting good seats. The overtime I would have to work in order to buy the VIP packages. Those were such AMAZING times!!! So much fun!

And for those who are going to these next concerts, I hope you have as much fun! Enjoy every moment, life is precious!

Reading back over this post, I am even more sad. I think I will need to join Dreamer and peneumbra for a beer.
    And I loved your post, HB. I very much remember the days of all the scrambling for tickets madness whenever new shows were announced. It was crazy and I'm so grateful for all those shows I was able to see. It makes me happy and sad at the same time whenever I think about it. And, I'll be glad to have a beer with you anytime.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I very much remember the days of all the scrambling for tickets madness whenever new shows were announced. It was crazy and I'm so grateful for all those shows I was able to see. And, I'll be glad to have a beer with you anytime.
    We did spend a lot of time on the phone sorting out the logistics of it all.
    I know you agree, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

Hopefully we can get together this year for that beer!

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

I sure miss the early years when it was as simple as checking the ride share board at my college campus for transportation to an Eagles concert (or any other band/artist) and buying tickets at our local record store. Once I got my own car I preferred to do the driving although it was a bit cramped trying to fit 6 people into a VW

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Very interesting and enlightening 1992 interview with Glenn Frey who reveals his thoughts and feelings on the band getting back together ... or not.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkbWG5RPYG8

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Very interesting and enlightening 1992 interview with Glenn Frey who reveals his thoughts and feelings on the band getting back together ... or not.

Dawn - Thanks for posting that. I had read a print interview from that time which pretty much said the same thing as this interview. I was trying to remember - it's been so long ago. Glenn talks about touring Europe that summer. I don't remember him touring much for Strange Weather, which I think was probably his best album, IMHO.

Stuck on the Border

I sure miss the early years when it was as simple as checking the ride share board at my college campus for transportation to an Eagles concert (or any other band/artist) and buying tickets at our local record store. Once I got my own car I preferred to do the driving although it was a bit cramped trying to fit 6 people into a VW
    I fondly remember those days too. I remember going to concerts with friends and cramming six people in my then GF mustang. Sometimes I wish there were still record stores near me where I could buy concert tickets. It seemed easier than dealing with TM and sitting at a computer trying to get good seats.

This is particularly devastating to the logic that has been proffered for continuing the Eagles without Glenn:

He says "I'm not the kind of person that wants to keep an 18-year-old kid in Holland from seeing the Eagles 'cause he's never seen them but he likes our music - I felt there was definitely was a need - people wanted us there. "

Sounds familiar. So why did he still say no? Because he explains that alone wasn't enough. He wanted them to work together, to write together, to be a real band. "It had to be legitimate." Why wasn't it legitimate? "The sad truth of the matter was Don Henley and I could not get together artistically and personally."

He wraps it up with the most damning statement of all: "It appeared to me that, except for the money, there wasn't much there for me."

Amen, Glenn. So says a man with integrity.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This is particularly devastating to the logic that has been proffered for continuing the Eagles without Glenn:

He says "I'm not the kind of person that wants to keep an 18-year-old kid in Holland from seeing the Eagles 'cause he's never seen them but he likes our music - I felt there was definitely was a need - people wanted us there. "

Sounds familiar. So why did he still say no? Because he explains that alone wasn't enough. He wanted them to work together, to write together, to be a real band. "It had to be legitimate." Why wasn't it legitimate? "The sad truth of the matter was Don Henley and I could not get together artistically and personally."

He wraps it up with the most damning statement of all: "It appeared to me that, except for the money, there wasn't much there for me."

Amen, Glenn. So says a man with integrity.
    Amen Soda, and as Glenn said, that about clocks it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the link Dawn. While I was revisiting that interview, I saw a link to another 1992 Swedish one that is similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bmu61NjPJo

One of my favorite lines from this one is when he says he learned that there was a lot more to life than making records. He also says everyone said he was a lot nicer when he moved to Colorado. lol And I loved what he said about the importance of the privileged giving something back.

And Soda to you for that last post. You nailed it.

And it made me think of this statement from Don to the L.A. Times last year that I posted recently. The contrast is stark and reminds me of why this comment gets under my skin so much everytime I read it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley
    People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them – and not by a tribute band." Henley said. “God knows there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band – they want to hear the songs. I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of.
    Don's claim that the current version of the band is the band that recorded these songs even though it's not exactly the same is just simply absurd. I always believed that the claim of legitimacy was valid with the two original members who wrote and sang most of the band's popular and successful songs. This current version includes only one member that recorded 2/3's of the band's catalog and current set list. Really Don - this is your idea of what legitimate and ethical means ???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016