Page 62 of 145 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I do note that on the announcements of the two additional concerts that it says, "The Eagles – Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B. Schmit, with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey"

There is a "with" added in there which would indicate that to me that the "Eagles" consist of only Henley, Walsh & Schmit. However I do get that several people don't consider those three performing together to be "Eagles" either.

The banner (Glenn Frey 1948-2016) that is at the very top of the page does take you to what I think is a very fitting page recognizing Glenn's passing.
    ltef – I get what you are saying and words do matter. I realize it may seem petty to some that I’m bitching about font sizes and pictures. However, I am an instructional web designer, so I know that images often form perceptions even more than words. I make a living thinking about what first impressions will be made when someone visits a web page. So, yes, smaller font size indicates that you are minimizing the importance of something. And the picture with Vince and Deacon included lends more weight than the words. A photo on the band’s official website implies that these are the official members. That is why you never saw an official band photo that included Steuart Smith or Scott Crago for example.

Thanks for pointing out that there was a link in Glenn’s acknowledgement – you are right … I didn’t notice it. Again, that only makes me feel worse because I know lots of effective design techniques that can be used to call attention to these kinds of things. I went back and clicked on the link and it takes you to what was the ‘landing’ page for the site after Glenn’s death – when you went to the site, that is the first page you saw before you went into the official site. Personally, I would have preferred that they had kept it that way, but, if they wanted to subordinate it, as I said, it could have been done a lot more effectively than what exists now.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    It seems there are many organizations, bands included, that carry on without their founding members, after they are no longer with us.

I would have thought that there may be some sort of discussion between Glenn and his family, if not other members of the band, what he would like to have happen in the event of his death. Because of his family's support and son's participation in this lineup, it would indicate to me that Glenn would be okay with this. I'm pretty sure he has indicated at times that he saw the Eagles as a business and that the money played an important factor.

I don't expect my comments to change any minds and I'm sure that these points have been made in this thread by others already, but I respectfully am on the side that thinks what they are doing is fine and that their legacy is in no way diminished.
    I would have also guessed that Glenn may have expressed his feelings about this too, especially to Cindy. However, I don’t think we can make any assumptions. The only mentions I’ve seen are two statements that Don has made. (I think both to the L.A. Times on two different occasions, but I’m not positive.)
    • Bringing Deacon in was my idea,” Henley said. “I think of the guild system, which in both Eastern and Western cultures is a centuries-old tradition of the father passing down the trade to his son, and to me, that makes perfect moral and ethical sense. The primary thing is I think Glenn would be good with it — with both of these guys. I think he’d go, ‘That’s the perfect way to do this.’ ”

• “People want to hear these songs played live, by the band that recorded them – and not by a tribute band." Henley said. “God knows there are enough of those. And even though it’s not exactly the same band – they want to hear the songs. I think we’re doing it in a highly ethical manner that I think Glenn would approve of.”

So, in both statements, Don says that he thinks Glenn would approve. That tells me he doesn’t know – and I would also think that if Cindy knew what Glenn’s feelings were on the matter, that she would have shared them with Irving and the band. I also noticed that, in both statements, Don asserts what is the ‘ethical’ way of going forward. If he knew Glenn would have approved, he could just say so, and wouldn’t need to offer any other justifications.

Based on many of Glenn’s actions and statements over the years, I tend to believe he would not have wanted the band to continue without him. This has already been discussed here, as well as in the Eagles 3.0 thread, so I’m trying not to rehash the same arguments that have been repeated over and over. However, the truth is we will probably never know for sure what Glenn would have wanted. Having said that, I have no doubt that he would be very proud of his son no matter how he felt about the band carrying on.

So, you are right in that no one's minds have been changed, and I respectfully disagree that this is all just fine and the band’s legacy is not being diminished. I thought it was interesting that Don acknowledged in the second statement that “it’s not exactly the same band”. As I said in my earlier post, I think the precedent has now been set and that this could slowly evolve into the ‘Eagles’ without any former members as long as there is money to be made. If family blood is all it takes to make it ethical and moral, then all of the members, both past and present, have plenty of heirs that can fill that bill. And finally, just for the record, any criticisms that I make about the future direction of the band would also extend to the Frey family since they are, apparently, on board with the decisions that have been made. However, of course, I wish Deacon nothing but the best and hope he has a bright future ahead of him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I completely disagree that there will be a tribute.

After all, as far as these people seem to be concerned Glenn Frey is no longer relevant to them. If they had wanted to do a tribute they would have done so before now.

Glenn was 'worn out' when I last saw him in March 2015. It's sad, but it's a fact.
    I agree that they're not going to do a tribute. They would have done something by now if they were. They are capitalizing on the "brand" fine without it. I'd like to see a tribute song from Henley, Joe, & Timothy, like the remaining members of Queen did for Freddie Mercury, but I'm not holding my breath that this will ever happen.

I was not fortunate enough to see them live when Glenn was alive (and would not do so now), but I've seen pictures from the HOTE tour and he looked worn out...it just breaks my heart to see it. To me, this current incarnation is not the Eagles. That ended in January 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Re the music: Personally, I was completely underwhelmed by Vince Gill and really don't get why he was hired as a touring member other than to take the pressure off Deacon who simply can't be expected to fill in on all his dad's lead vocals. That's #1. Number 2 - Vince Gill and his long time country music industry/fans connection plus availability to commit to *30 to 40 or more concerts a year was most likely a valuable consideration.
    Vince has always been a huge Eagles fan himself and, as one of the most influential artists in Nashville, has been lobbying to get the Eagles inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame for quite a few years now. This has been somewhat controversial with resistance from some of the more traditional country music artists and fans. Although, I'm sure it's not the only reason, it may be one factor in why he was asked to join the band. It may lend a little more credibility to the argument that they belong in the HOF.

Banned

Cool Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I have been reading the numerous postings in this thread, and…

What I get is that people are:

1. Sad that the band has, with the death of Glenn Frey, ceased to be the Eagles.

2. Angry that the surviving members have decided to continue despite No. 1.

And I get both sides of this. For me, the Eagles stopped being the Eagles after Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner left, but then, I'm old and deranged, so…

I don't know what Frey would've said about the current situation, but it might be helpful to remember that there are lots of reasons - some obvious, some not so obvious - why performers decide to retire, or continue on with their public careers.

One of the obvious reasons is money. Not that the survivors aren't well-off, but I haven't seen Henley's or Walsh's tax returns, and who knows where they might be financially. I will tell you candidly that I've known other artists who you'd think would have all the money in the world, and… nope. Which is why they will HAVE to keep touring till they die. Again , I'm not saying that's the case with these guys, but it happens more than you'd think.

Another thing is ego, or at least a form of it. Once somebody has been in the Big Time, performing in front of thousands of cheering, ecstatic fans, it's hard to turn your back on it. Even I'm familiar with it: when I go onstage to announce a band or even to hand someone his guitar, I get a huge rush looking out at those thousands of people, waiting, excited, intense…

And that feeling goes both ways. You feel it out there in the dark, sharing the moment with all the other fans; the performers feel it times a thousand when the stage lights come up and they are, for the moment, the center of the universe.

If anyone asked me (and nobody did), I say, go see the shows, don't worry about what the group calls itself, and enjoy it for what it is. Performance is precious and fleeting, but memories last forever.

peneumbra - I appreciate your sentiments, but with all due respect, this discussion has been going on for almost a year and all these arguments have already been made over and over again.

I will respond to one of your main points here, but truly have no interest in rehashing this all again. If you are truly interested, I would suggest you read through the thread, as well as the original Eagles 3.0 thread. You don't have to read them in their entirety to get the gist of the discussion. The bottom line is no one is saying these guys should not continue to perform and, yes, they have every right to make money. But, they have an unlimited number of options available to them for performing without continuing the band as 'Eagles' without Glenn Frey. End of story!

Banned

Wink Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Yes, I've read through the postings and your point is well taken.

One possible reason for the use of the name "Eagles" is that promoters would likely offer much less in guarantee for, say, "Henley/Walsh/Schmitt" or something like that.

Another has to do with ownership of the name "Eagles." If it can be shown that the trademark holder has abandoned it, someone else could possibly use it for their own gain. This has happened in the music business before.

Anyway, sorry to prolong this whole thing. C'mon, let's go have a beer!

(You wouldn't mind buying, would you? I'm tapped out…)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post

One possible reason for the use of the name "Eagles" is that promoters would likely offer much less in guarantee for, say, "Henley/Walsh/Schmitt" or something like that.

Another has to do with ownership of the name "Eagles." If it can be shown that the trademark holder has abandoned it, someone else could possibly use it for their own gain. This has happened in the music business before.

It goes without saying that the word 'Eagles' means more than 'Henley Walsh & Schmit'. That is not the point. They apparently could not accept that their price has fallen without that particular name. So they decided to cling on to it, legitimate or not.

As for ownership, how could they 'abandon' the name? If anyone else tried to use it they would be sued until they bled. Do you seriously believe that a band calling itself 'Beatles' would have lasted more than five minutes? The trademark & whatever is already protected.

Yep - I'm sure that's true. They chose the most lucrative option. Both sides of this issue is debated many times throughout this thread and the aforementioned Eagles 3.0 thread.

I'm sure there is some validity in what you say here. However, there must be some legal protection against this. Otherwise, I'm certain we would have seen another version of The Beatles by now.

Sure - I'll be glad to spring for a beer, especially since I won't be spending as much money on concerts now. Look me up if you ever come through Central Virginia.

ETA: I guess Freypower and I were posting at the same time. Funny how The Beatles were the first to come to both of our minds.

For me personally, I just wish people would quit buying tickets.

No tickey's = no shows, and we can put this baby to bed. The sooner they stop the better I'll feel. It still won't change the fact it has tarnished the legacy, but it won't be ongoing anymore and I'll have a little respite with that. That's just me.

Unfortunately there will always be the casual fans that are not aware of what went down, and the more hardcore fans that still want to go/don't see it the same way/don't care, so it might take awhile. But I really look forward to that day.

I don't mean that to say I have anything against those going, more to them, but if they sold no tickets, this would come to a screeching halt a whole lot sooner.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Sure - I'll be glad to spring for a beer, especially since I won't be spending as much money on concerts now. Look me up if you ever come through Central Virginia.

Thanks for the laugh Dreamer.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."