Page 59 of 145 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn 's songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn . It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it. I have seen Henley solo since Glenn died. I have seen the tribute band that I have always gone to. Tonight I christened my new DVD player with the Farewell 1 DVD. In short I felt very emotional.

The last 2 years have brought me from the end of a period in my life where I was literally riding the crest of a wave to one where I feel at times that I am barely holding on. I've had to reevaluate a lot of things in my life and I know whats worth fighting for and what isn't. So what I suppose I'm trying to say very clumsily is to those who want the band to go on have fun, enjoy the shows, find whatever you are looking for, but please realise that not all of us revel in it and allow us to have our opinions too.

JTA, Soda has been a fabulous administrator of the Border since it started over 11 years ago- she always moderates with fairness and objectivity. The last 2 years have not been easy for her either and she is doing an excellent job navigating through this quagmire of a thread.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I say to people who are enthusiastic about this: stop coming to this thread and scolding us. Go enjoy your band. Don't worry about whether or not we support it.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I am not pissed off about this because I'm a Glenn fan. I'm pissed off about this because I'm an Eagles fan.
    For me, honestly, it's both. In my opinion no Glenn or Don = no Eagles. But as a big Glenn fan, it doubly bothers me how some could overlook it and or the fact that I feel he has been wronged. I've said it before for me there is no band without Glenn or Don. But for me, Glenn will always be the Eagles. Just my feelings on the matter. I wouldn't go see them if Glenn were there and Don wasn't, but the feeling still stands. I won't lie, it was a double whammy. One of the two that can't be replaced did, and it was the one IMO who was the guy for me. Not only as an Eagles fan, but as one who was a Glenn Frey fan.

Everyone has their reasons for being against this, those are just mine.

Regardless, I agree that pitting Glenn fans against Don fans isn't a good idea going forward. Both sides are being defensive and that's fine. It's to be expected.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I tend to be diplomatic about this, but since we who don't like what the band is doing continue to be "harassed" in our own thread, I don't see too much point in diplomacy anymore. So I'll say it more clearly than I have before: In my opinion this new "Eagles" is ridiculous.

EDIT:

This site is maintained by a fan. It's not an official site. So the idea that she's obliged to support the current activities is utterly ridiculous. Anyone who feels miserable here is totally free to build a website of their own. Although, as has been pointed out, there's plenty of playground here for people who enjoy the current band. And a lot of us who don't enjoy it still find it interesting to read about about recent concert experiences etc. At least I do.
    Last edited by chaim; 01-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    For me, honestly, it's both. In my opinion no Glenn or Don = no Eagles. But as a big Glenn fan, it doubly bothers me how some could overlook it and or the fact that I feel he has been wronged. I've said it before for me there is no band without Glenn or Don. But for me, Glenn will always be the Eagles. Just my feelings on the matter. I wouldn't go see them if Glenn were there and Don wasn't, but the feeling still stands. I won't lie, it was a double whammy. One of the two that can't be replaced did, and it was the one IMO who was the guy for me. Not only as an Eagles fan, but as one who was a Glenn Frey fan.

Everyone has their reasons for being against this, those are just mine.
    OK, I see what you mean, but...

Regardless, I agree that pitting Glenn fans against Don fans isn't a good idea going forward.
    THIS.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I think it is important to note that we are not the only fans who are non supportive of the current lineup. I have read numerous comments on other fan pages, forums and in the comments section of various online media outlets.

The opinions range from No Glenn = No Eagles to complaints about the high ticket prices, Vince Gill, and Don Henley. I see very little if any negative feedback about Timothy or Joe.

While it's clear there is support for this lineup I think the addition of Vince Gill has enabled them to capitalize on his popularity with country music fans and the country music industry at large.

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter to me. The Eagles with Glenn Frey singing the songs we all want to hear still exists. I'm listening right now and to be quite frank that's more than enough for me. It's the real thing. Not a substitution.

FWIW: I've referenced Don Henley's directive "Accept No Substitutes" often in my posts about 3.0 because I believe though clearly it isn't meaningful to Henley any longer it is still relevant.
    Last edited by Dawn; 01-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn 's songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn . It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it. I have seen Henley solo since Glenn died. I have seen the tribute band that I have always gone to. Tonight I christened my new DVD player with the Farewell 1 DVD. In short I felt very emotional.
    I know what you mean. It's very hard for me to watch the videos too, especially with the two year anniversary coming up.

The last 2 years have brought me from the end of a period in my life where I was literally riding the crest of a wave to one where I feel at times that I am barely holding on. I've had to reevaluate a lot of things in my life and I know whats worth fighting for and what isn't. So what I suppose I'm trying to say very clumsily is to those who want the band to go on have fun, enjoy the shows, find whatever you are looking for, but please realise that not all of us revel in it and allow us to have our opinions too.
    I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much. I hope people hear what you're saying regarding opinions (and it wasn't said clumsily, BTW).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote: Dawn - It appears to me this issue has it's roots in the mindset of certain 3.0 supporters who take exception to suggestions that had it been Don who passed away instead of Glenn perhaps they would view the situation differently. Or at the very least understand why fans who do not support the band continuing WITHOUT Glenn Frey feel as they do. While I agree it shouldn't get down to that level (Glenn fans v Don fans) the suggestion was a valid one because it does bring into focus why non-supporters of 3.0 could/would view the current lineup as non-legitmate even with Don Henley's endorsement.

Dawn - Like Glenn said - that about clocks it for sure.

Quote: Glennsallnighter - I've written various responses to this post, they all seem wrong so I have deleted them and begun again. Over the past few years I have had many discussions with people whom I know both on and off the Border about the future of the band. I respect the views of those who feel that the band can and must go on. I suspect that at least some of these people may never have seen a live Eagles show and now feel that they have a last chance saloon opportunity to see them and know what has made us all such groupies for so many years. What kept us going back, paying high prices, travelling far and wide, whatever. Others perhaps went to see the surviving Eagles and to them little has changed - Get Deacon and Vince in to sing Glenn 's songs and continue as normal. I hope you guys to whom I am referring never felt insulted by anything that I said.

JTA, Soda has been a fabulous administrator of the Border since it started over 11 years ago- she always moderates with fairness and objectivity. The last 2 years have not been easy for her either and she is doing an excellent job navigating through this quagmire of a thread.[/quote]

GA - Well said and could not agree more.

I agree, well said GA. Thank You. ~ Dawn

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Actually - this entire page about clocks it. Well done everyone!

And GA - I am sorry that you have had such a rough year. Your post was far from clumsy. I loved it, especially this:

"Just to me, The Eagles are not the Eagles without Glenn It was his band, he started it, he maintained it and as far as I'm concerned he called time on it.

I couldn't agree more. When Glenn quit in 1980, the band ceased to exist until he agreed to reunite in 1994. If he were still with us, Glenn would have remained as long as he wanted the band to exist. Everyone always acknowledged that the decision about whether or not to continue the band always rested with Glenn when he was alive and after his passing, the remaining members unanimously set the expectation that they would not continue without him. Simply put, they all stated there could be no Eagles without Glenn. That's the way it should have been.

But, as I’ve said in the past, I guess if anyone doesn’t believe that Glenn’s contributions to the band are unparalleled and he is essential to any band called 'Eagles', then any attempt to convince them is probably feudal. On the other hand, any attempt to convince us otherwise is also an exercise in futility. So, I think it would be great if we can all just accept that and be respectful of one another.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016