Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press - Retro Edition!

Rolling Stone review of 1982
    Loser: California rock
    The smooth-as-glass soft-rock sound that reaped sizable profits throughout the Seventies came a cropper in 1982. Get Closer by Linda Ronstadt (above) went gold – a surprising feat, since it never cracked the Top Thirty – but was nevertheless a far cry from her platinum successes of old. "It was disappointing but not surprising," says Mike Wyner, chief record buyer for the forty-four stores in the Record World-TSS chain. "She's not an original talent, and her sales have been declining." The Envoy by Warren Zevon sold even fewer copies than Ronstadt's LP, and while solo albums from Glenn Frey and Don Henley have been picking up steam, their sales were below expectations.

This 1977 Billboard article reminded me of Funk50's comment in the Eagles 3.0 thread, about this summer's festivals being the biggest concerts the band has ever performed. Back in the day, the Eagles headlined the "Day on the Green" event which included performances by Foreigner, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, Heart, and the Steve Miller Band, as well as a crowd size of more than 50,000.

"Talent in Action-Eagles, Steve Miller Band, Heart..."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Thanks for posting the link Delilah. I enjoyed reading it. Headliners, The Eagles hit the stage at 3:45 p.m.

I made the claim that the two gigs this summer, are the biggest the Eagles have ever played, after careful consideration. I'm sure that they've played to larger audiences but they've always had a knack of avoiding concerts that attracted huge global media attention.

The Billboard article displays how insignificantly major gigs were regarded in the pre-internet age.

The Eagles, perhaps more than the supporting bands, are deceptively rich in first-rate material and flawless in it's presentation. Takin' My Time, Victim Of Love, Lying Eyes, Take It To The Limit, New Kid In Town, Desperado, One Of These Nights, Life In The Fast Lane, James Dean and Take It Easy, constitute a program of such familiar consistency that excellent performers like Steve Miller with his reverberating guitar and vocals and Heart and Atlanta Rhythm Section with its sometimes cautious professionalism seem competently unemphatic by comparison.
    I guess Takin' My Time was actually Walk Away. Apparently they opened with Motel California

The set list hasn't changed much in the last 40 years of a roughly 45 year career.

Yes, the Eagles have indeed played to bigger crowds on a few occasions....

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I remember that pic, but hadn't seen it for a while! I would never go to something like that!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

I found this looking up Joe's guitarist Tom Bukovic. I think this is the first article I ever read on the eagles. It's pretty awesome! I didn't realise the music press existed til the late seventies!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...eroes-19791129

By Charles M. Young
    November 29, 1979

Stuck on the Border

Funk 50 - Did you get the Special Edition RS put out last year in memory of Glenn ? That article is in the magazine plus all the old RS articles on the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Brooke - Been there done that with stadium concerts back in the 70's and 80's, including TLR Tour at Giants Stadium in 1980. I was just a kid then. Don't think I could do that now !

Banned

I didn't get the Special Edition of Rolling Stone. I'll have to look out for that.

I went to a couple of mega Eagles and Genesis shows decades ago, before we had giant screens to watch the action on stage. Genesis had a great light show but the the most memorable thing about open air gigs was backache!

Stuck on the Border

Funk - I know I have seen the special issue on ebay but it was not cheap. RS sells back issues. Maybe you can try to get it from them.