Page 144 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1651

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I didnt say Glenn's voice was bad. When I say plain I mean he is just a plain flat out good singer. Everyone else's voice had some quality that made it stand out more. Randy had a sharper edger and of course the vocal range, don had the rasp. Joe had the nasal quality . These things make their voices more "unique" but necessarily better. Glenn's voice was improtant in that it was a voice you could relate to. It smooth and just flat out good. I'm not going to say Henley is better but many people believe that. And that includes, Glenn and felder. Rolling stone had Henley in 80's as one of the top 100 singers of all time. Obviously they could be wrong but you cannot act like it's obvious Glenn is the same as don. It could go either way. You are right Glenn's voice lacks nothing but it doesn't have the same timbre as Henley. That is objective fact. You don't need to say untrue things to make your point. I believe Henley and Frey should have sang the same amount and should have shared vocals more
    I really don't care about the endlessly recycled arguments about Henley being a better singer. It is NOT objective fact. Rolling Stone made that claim so that makes it gospel, does it? No. It is opinion. You are entitled to hold it. So are others who see it differently.

People were happy for you when you stated you enjoyed the show, but unfortunately you have now dug yourself into a very big hole.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Just an opinion. Very much so. But a healthy understanding of both sides of course means that you understand why some people might have a problem with this comment.
    I understand that. I fully accept they might have an issue but they see me as a Glenn hater which couldn't be farther from the truth is all

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt but it seems to me without Glenn Frey the current lineup appears to be profiting from replacing him with two people cherry picked to best enable them to sell tickets.

Really, is that such a stretch? Vince Gill. Has a huge fan following of his own. And has a history of working with Don Henley. Deacon is family. And, of all the players involved in the reinventing/repackaging of the Eagles post Glenn Frey, he is the innocent one.

Second, I don't care how many times they tour under the auspices of keeping the songs alive. That sounds like a public relations mantra if I ever heard one. The songs didn't die. They will live forever- long after the New Eagles take their final stage bow.

I am listening to Glenn Frey sing New Kid in Town and it's pure perfection. Downright beautiful.

Don Henley once said: Accept No Substitutes.

Gladly, Don. Gladly.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I hope that what I've said didn't make people mad at me. I just had my opinion and I felt like no one understand my point but that's ok

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I didnt say Glenn's voice was bad. When I say plain I mean he is just a plain flat out good singer. Everyone else's voice had some quality that made it stand out more. Randy had a sharper edger and of course the vocal range, don had the rasp. Joe had the nasal quality . These things make their voices more "unique" but necessarily better. Glenn's voice was improtant in that it was a voice you could relate to. It smooth and just flat out good. I'm not going to say Henley is better but many people believe that. And that includes, Glenn and felder. Rolling stone had Henley in 80's as one of the top 100 singers of all time. Obviously they could be wrong but you cannot act like it's obvious Glenn is the same as don. It could go either way. You are right Glenn's voice lacks nothing but it doesn't have the same timbre as Henley. That is objective fact. You don't need to say untrue things to make your point. I believe Henley and Frey should have sang the same amount and should have shared vocals more
    I agree with FP, I feel you've dug yourself into a hole with your comments. But I'll reply to the bolded part because I feel some of that is not accurate or acceptable.

OF COURSE Don and Glenn have different timbres. But they are equally great. No one can really say Don is a better singer, when it's just not true. My statements have not been untrue, and I take offense to the idea. Rolling Stone could very easily be wrong along with anyone who thinks that way. They certainly have with their guitarist list. If someone feels DH is a better singer than GF, I'd ask them to get some hearing aids and try again. To be fair, Glenn isn't a better singer than Don. But they are exactly equal, not in terms of pitch or type of voice, but equal in greatness. That, AFIAC, is fact. To me it's just the unspoken truth, but obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I really don't care about the endlessly recycled arguments about Henley being a better singer. It is NOT objective fact. Rolling Stone made that claim so that makes it gospel, does it? No. It is opinion. You are entitled to hold it. So are others who see it differently.

People were happy for you when you stated you enjoyed the show, but unfortunately you have now dug yourself into a very big hole.
    Can you please read what I said? Like actually read it? I said that it's objectively true that Henley has a different timbre than Frey and that is true. All i said is that their voices have different vocal qualities. I never said don was better. I merely stated it's not dumb to believe he is. I knew you would think me quoting rolling stone would turn into "wow you must believe rolling stone is infalliable" all I'm saying it's acceptable to think Henley is better though that's not what I necessarily believe. The supposed hole I dug is unfortunate because I made specific points in caps to avoid having people get mad. I tried to be respectful. But I guess I just can't make a point without people strawmanning me

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I agree with FP, I feel you've dug yourself into a hole with your comments. But I'll reply to the bolded part because I feel some of that is not accurate or acceptable.

OF COURSE Don and Glenn have different timbres. But they are equally great. No one can really say Don is a better singer, when it's just not true. My statements have not been untrue, and I take offense to the idea. Rolling Stone could very easily be wrong along with anyone who thinks that way. They certainly have with their guitarist list. If someone feels DH is a better singer than GF, I'd ask them to get some hearing aids and try again. To be fair, Glenn isn't a better singer than Don. But they are exactly equal, not in terms of pitch or type of voice, but equal in greatness. That, AFIAC, is fact. To me it's just the unspoken truth, but obvious.
    Well it is obvious they have different timbres but when I pointed that out I got labeled a Glenn hater. Who is a better singer is half objective half subjective. We can distinguish good from badb but from good from good is hard that is when personal taste matter. I agree rolling stone could be wrong and their list was bad. I'm just showing a major musical voice saying Henley is better. I can't say it's obvious when you can't prove it. But I agree that within the Eagles they are equal in greatness

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt but it seems to me without Glenn Frey the current lineup appears to be profiting from replacing him with two people cherry picked to best enable them to sell tickets.

Really, is that such a stretch? Vince Gill. Has a huge fan following of his own. And has a history of working with Don Henley. Deacon is family. And, of all the players involved in the reinventing/repackaging of the Eagles post Glenn Frey, he is the innocent one.

Second, I don't care how many times they tour under the auspices of keeping the songs alive. That sounds like a public relations mantra if I ever heard one. The songs didn't die. They will live forever- long after the New Eagles take their final stage bow.

I am listening to Glenn Frey sing New Kid in Town and it's pure perfection. Downright beautiful.

Don Henley once said: Accept No Substitutes.

Gladly, Don. Gladly.
    The keeping songs is something i said. As far as I know they didn't say that. My main point for keeping the band together doesn't involve that. My point is that what Glenn did is already immortal. It cannot change with his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    YEF, I enjoyed your post about seeing Eagles 3.0. The excitement came across in your writing.

I'm less keen on the more recent posts but that's partly because the subject has already been covered extensively. It's a problem when you pick up on things later than most. I think I understand how you feel because I wasn't able to watch the documentary until six months after many people here and seen and discussed it and with Felder's book, I was five years behind. It was quite frustrating to find that many people had said all they wanted on the subject.

As for "best" voices and whether they are replaceable, it's something I've wondered about. There are better singers than Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B Schmit and Joe Walsh. Bringing in a replacement for Don might, in theory, sound better but would it sound right? My current position is that Don Henley is "best" at singing Don Henley songs and although he doesn't sound as good as in his prime, he still sounds better than anyone else on those songs. The same was true of Glenn and whoever they might bring in to sing his songs, they will never be as good a Glenn Frey as the original.

I'm not going to get into the Felder firing.
    The thing is I almost completely agree with you. That's why i get frustrated with the backslash I get.

Stuck on the Border

YEF - Sorry but you did say Don Henley was a better singer. Here is what you said in one of your posts : "His singing is least among them".
    I did not put words in your mouth - you said this. You keep contradicting yourself every time you write something. We content that both Don and Glenn have/had beautiful voices - different but equally beautiful. Of course this is a subjective opinion, but many people here feel the same way I do.
    Perhaps you should leave the topic under "agree to disagree". For people like myself who feel this whole thing is wrong, nothing you say can change our minds. You saw the guys and enjoyed yourself. People here have said they were happy you fulfilled your dream. Maybe it is best left with that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    YEF - Sorry but you did say Don Henley was a better singer. Here is what you said in one of your posts : "His singing is least among them".
    I did not put words in your mouth - you said this. You keep contradicting yourself every time you write something. We content that both Don and Glenn have/had beautiful voices - different but equally beautiful. Of course this is a subjective opinion, but many people here feel the same way I do.
    Perhaps you should leave the topic under "agree to disagree". For people like myself who feel this whole thing is wrong, nothing you say can change our minds. You saw the guys and enjoyed yourself. People here have said they were happy you fulfilled your dream. Maybe it is best left with that thought.
    NKIT that's exactly what I feel. They are both beautiful. That comment is take out of context. I said that what Glenn added to the current lineup was "least among" what he added. Because you can replace a great voice. And that isn't an insult. I mean that everything he adds to the band is amazing. But THE LEAST IMPORTANT is the singing. Going way back, what i was originally saying was the trait of Glenn they would miss the least was his singing. We all agree that gill and deacon sing pretty well. The drop off is but in singing talent is big BUT NOT AS BIG AS THE DROPOFF in personality and leadership. I can't think of any time I contradicted myself