Page 73 of 303 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles (5/07 - 10/15)

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Geesh, sorry I brought it up!

Seriously tho, Dreamer, I'm glad to hear that you did research it and that it is correct. I knew the line from King Henry VI and I guess I always just assumed that was what Glenn/Don (or Don/Glenn) were referring to. I'm smarter than I thought and my literature teachers would all be glad to hear I did retain something!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TBF - first of all, please don't apologize for bringing up an interesting topic. It was several years ago when l looked it up, and I had forgotten which play the line is from until you mentioned it. As with many of the Eagles lyrics, the line may have more than one interpretation or meaning. The reason I researched it in the first place is because I originally had no idea what the line referred to.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    There's an extremely popular book series (at least 4 volumes by now, I think) for girls of that age, where the first is called The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I haven't read it since I have boys, but it's so popular that I've heard a lot about it. I think the 1st volume is about 4 teen-aged girl friends who spend a summer apart. To help them "weather" this, they share a pair of jeans--- each girl taking them for a period of time that summer, and then writing about the adventures she has wearing those jeans. Then she mails them off to the next friend, who does the same...hence, the 'traveling pants'. There was a movie of the same name a couple of years back starring America Ferraro ("Ugly Betty" fame) as one of the girls. The books in the series all use the words 'traveling pants' in the title, and thus far I think the girls are starting college in the latest volume. I'm thinkin' they're not in the very same pair of jeans, and that the adventures may be a lot dicier!

Dreamer, your niece Eaglette may be of the age where the first volume is right up her alley, depending on her reading level. Look it up at the bookstore, but double check with the clerk that I am correct on the age-appropriateness of the subject matter...if you get my drift. I'm pretty sure I am.

ev - thanks for this explanation. Sorry, it took so long to respond, but I haven't been on the board much in the last day or so. Anyway, this sounds like a great series for young girls. My bet is that you are right, and Eaglette already knows about the books and movie. I guess 'Aunt Dreamer's' Eagle addiction is preventing me from keeping pace.

Dreamer, Back to Shakespeare...Total Assumption on my part, and I apologize to Glenn (wish I could do so in person) if he indeed remembered his English Lit better than I did! I was in a rush this am, but it did cross my mind as I posted, "Gee, it sure sounds like a line Don would write!" , but I didn't stop to double check for co-writing...my bad! I'll always remember that Odd Couple episode when Felix and Oscar discuss that one should never assume...you make an 'arse' out of u and me! (Well, that's a bit harsh for this instance, but I just wanted to bring up that episode.)

Stuck on the Border

This is very interesting.

Glenn used the line 'Brave New World' as the title of a song from Strange Weather. It is originally from Shakespeare's The Tempest but Aldous Huxley also used it as the title of a book. I have no idea where Glenn took the line. I do agree with Dreamer that just because there is a literary allusion in an Eagles lyric does not necessarily mean that Don wrote it. To me Get Over It is one of their 'real' collaborations both lyrically and musically. Glenn described them as sitting there throwing couplets back and forth.

Regardless, as a Shakespeare buff, this is one of my favourite Eagles lines ever. As for Brave New World, I think I might use my signature based on it next week....

When I had to go to the Apple Store at North Park a couple of weeks ago, I had to take the bus and it took me four long hours to get there. I hate the public transportation in Dallas. I found this sign at the train station.

There's also a Linden Street close to where I live.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Cool signs, SH! Kudos on having your camera handy!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Dreamer, Back to Shakespeare...Total Assumption on my part, and I apologize to Glenn (wish I could do so in person) if he indeed remembered his English.
    ev - thanks for your clarification, and I'm sure if you set up a meeting and are real sweet to Glenn that he will forgive you. As a certified Eagles addict (see Eagles forum), I'd love to know who wrote every line in every song. I believe that both Don and Glenn are avid readers, so I'd bet that their lyrics are influenced quite a bit by things they read.

Cool pics, SH.

I passed by a street near my Aunt's house yesterday that was called Glenn Ave. I wanted so bad to stop and take a picture of it but I was late to where I needed to go.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."