Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Irving Azoff Personal and/or Professional News

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Irving Azoff News

Well this is a little off topic to begin with, but bear with me and I'll get to Irving. I'm so bad about turning on my TV that I even forgot to watch President Obama's address to the nation on Tuesday night. Last light when I realized I had missed it I actually did turn on the TV to see if anyone was replaying it. I couldn't find it on TV, but good old YouTube saved the day for me and I watched the address online. However, turning on the TV did 'refresh' my memory about Irving testifying at Senate hearing on Tuesday this week. I did some research and I think he is supposed to testify at a House hearing today. I'm pretty sure there is a hearing today, but I'm not positive is Irving is scheduled to testify. Anyway, I'm going to post several links that I found in my research related to this. Here's the first one:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123517105948436743.html
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 02-26-2009 at 04:14 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Okay - here is a Chicago Sun Times blog about the hearing testimony:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/derogatis/...ate_heari.html

Here is a transcript of the hearing. There is more information if you want to do a web search, but the ones that I've posted here seem to be the most relevant.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/hearings...74&wit_id=7621

Thanks for posting this, dreamer. I had gotten that first article about Irving a day or two ago as a Google alert, and I have been so busy with my new job that I didn't have time to post it. Very interesting reading.

Very interesting reading - thanks, Dreamer.

It doesn't look good for the merger. As a fan, I have to say, I'm glad. It's easy to see that this merger would not benefit us.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

First of all, you gotta love the imagery in the first article I posted of Irving conducting business meetings in his bathroom!

I hope the merger does not get approved either, but if I were a betting girl, I'd bet it does!

I believe that the best interests of the artists, and indeed any performer — whether in music, sports, theater, or other events — will serve the best interests of the fans. It is truly a magical connection.
    Hmmm - so what Irving is saying here is that the more money the Eagles make will be in our best interest as fans because it will create a magical connection! Okay - get real, Irving!!!

Going forward, we are also going to work to see that the very best seats go on sale directly to the fans.
    Now, you're talking Irving - good on you! (eagerly awaits with bated breath!!!!)

Secondary ticketing is driving up prices for the fans, with absolutely no benefit to the artist. We cannot just cling to old ways. This merger will allow the live music industry to avoid repeating the mistakes of the record business.
    See my comment above. And just one more thing, Irving - again, can you please try to explain why it is that the best tickets ALWAYS end up in the hands of these secondary ticket sellers. I understand you said that the artist doesn't benefit, but what about Ticketmaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    And just one more thing, Irving - again, can you please try to explain why it is that the best tickets ALWAYS end up in the hands of these secondary ticket sellers. I understand you said that the artist doesn't benefit, but what about Ticketmaster?
    Here's your answer, from the above article:

2:30 p.m.: Schumer hammers Ticketmaster's Azoff on the Bruce Springsteen secondary market ticket sales scandal. "You'd rather sell a ticket on [inhouse scalping agency] Tickets Now than Ticketmaster because you make more money," Schumer says.
    Azoff waffles but finally admits, "It could be way more."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Mr. Azoff started young, booking bands in high school in Danville, Ill, a city 130 miles from Chicago. In 1970, he dropped out of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and moved to Los Angeles, where his roommate, and first serious client, was Dan Fogelberg, the soon-to-be king of '70s soft rock.
    Danville,Ill? That's where I live! That's my hometown! I went to DHS. I had no idea Irving was from here!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Don't even get me started!!! Irving needs to get in touch with reality. The "average" fan should come first and foremost. We are what makes the band!! Like it or not, without fans-you don't have a show, you don't sell records and you don't make the money. Simple!!

I'm sorry but I think Irving is a greedy *ss and here is a little proof! From one of the above aritcles when asked "You'd rather sell a ticket on Tickets Now than Ticketmaster because you make more money", his reply sums it up, "It could be way more." And you know he wishes it was! Who's getting that extra money if not the artist?

"Going forward, we are also going to work to see that the very best seats go on sale directly to the fans
    " Right--WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER-AGAIN!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

More press--I see keep it going--the more press about it the faster things may change!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123672740386088613.html
    He sings it high, he plays it low