Page 6 of 302 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

You are doing a wonderful job SC!

Soda! Best of luck with the new position. I'm sure you'll do great
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

SC - I'm sorry you had a tough day. You are a great person to do such a challenging job. You are really making a difference.

Soda - best of luck with the new term!

It's been non-stop since I got back from holiday, hence my lack of activity around here, but I have finally moved all of my stuff in to my new place and, most importantly, got my bedroom looking nice! I am just going to relax and watch a couple of movies tonight before I head to Devon to see friends tomorrow. (I'll be there until Sunday, so unfortunately I won't be able to access The Border much during those few days - only on my phone.) Everything is going okay in general though - just busy! The new school term is looming and that means my new job will begin. I'm pretty daunted, but I'll be there from Tuesday to sort out my new classroom and get ready for the 2nd, so hopefully I'll feel better once I have everything ready.

Things aren't very good with my grandparents at the moment, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts and prayers for them - the Alzheimer's is becoming very noticeable and it's hard to watch. My Grandma opened her birthday cards on Saturday morning and two minutes later said "I haven't even read them yet!" and read them all again, coming around to give us all hugs for the second time. Things like this are now quite commonplace, and it's always a bit shocking, even as you get used to them. I treasure every moment I spend with them and we always have a lovely time together, but I just worry what will happen as time goes on. There are some difficulties already with my aunt and uncle and the way that things are dealt with... I won't go into it all now, but I do worry a bit about the road ahead and how my mum will cope, especially. In the meantime, I just want to see my grandparents as much as possible and see them happy.

Unfortunately we had some sad news from my sister's ex-boyfriend yesterday. Their dog, Jake, had to be put down due to several incidents of aggression. This is not a decision that would have been taken lightly and I know that Leon would have been devastated. Jake was not a young dog - he was a Collie mix and so active and intelligent - but he did have the odd 'nipping' incident. Apparently it became worse in recent years and, after an incident with a child that could have been very nasty, it just became too much of a risk. I am really sad, but I know that Jake lived a great life out there in the country and that he was loved so much during his life. I'm going to post one of my favourite picture of him here, because it makes me smile. I posted pics in Petmania years ago, so some of you may remember him. He was such an intelligent dog and he made us laugh so many times. Bless him.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I'm so sorry about Jake Troub. I remember from previous posts you made that he was a lovely dog. It's a pity the aggression thing had to rear it's ugly head.

And I'm sorry too about the situation with your grandparents. It's like the situation at home with Dad, but at least Mum is able to care for him still which is good. As his consultant advised us 'plenty of tea and TLC is best'. At least your grandma does realise that she GOT birthday cards even if she forgot reading them. Things like that happen Dad all the time now. And it IS hard to watch people you love losing some of their faculties and independence. I will pray for them, and for the rest of the family too.

And I just KNOW that once you get settled into your new classroom and school you will be a FABULOUS teacher! Your enthusiasm and energy is contagious!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Troub, good luck with your new job. Very sorry to hear about Jake, it's an awful decision to have to make. Also sad to hear about your grandparents. We realised Mum was losing her memory when she kept telling us the same stories on phone calls. We knew it was gone when we had all watched a superb display by the Red Arrows over Dartmouth, and 5 minutes later she said " Have the Red Arrows been?"
    If your grandparents are willing to have some help, it would be worth asking them to have a check up with their GP, as early referral and intervention can improve remaining quality of life. Sounds like you may have some problems with the family accepting this though. It's a difficult time for everyone. We'll all be supporting you here.
    I'm off to see my sister in Bournemouth tomorrow. She is on the waiting list for her second hip replacement, but we are hoping she can still struggle into the sea for a swim, while the weather's good.
    Continue to have great support from my two wonderful sons, and joy from my cats!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Louise...and for the new school year!!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Troub - I am so sorry about Jake. He truly had a very loving family.

And my mom suffered from Alzheimer's before her passing so I sympathize with you and your family. I know how difficult it is watching a love one go thru this. Not only does that person suffer but the whole family does. Please remember that it does help to share the burden and sometimes just vent. If you ever want to talk or ask a question, you can pm me and it is wonderful that you have so many friends supporting you here. I will keep your grandparents in my prayers.

GA - the above is for you too. I will keep your Dad & your mom in my prayers. Sometimes it takes a greater toll on the caregiver. You may pm me too if you want to vent or ask a question. At my age, I have unfortunately watched many of my friends' parents go thru this & in the process I have learned much about the disease.

Take care ladies!

Thank you HB. At present Dad is not bad at all. He's not aggressive and for the most part knows everyone. Just don't ask him what day or date it is. It's not that Mum has to expend a huge amount of energy caring for him, more the stress on her is from constantly having to watch him so he doesn't get lost etc. We all try to help as much as possible
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

GA, I'm praying that your dad's illness will stay at this stage for a long while & progresses very slowly. I know that it is very difficult watching the health of loved ones deteriorate.

Troub, so sorry to hear about your grandparents. I'm sure every moment you spend with them wil be very precious. Sorry about Jake as well. I love the picture. I'm sure he had a good life.
    So exciting about your job beginning soon. You will love teaching and your students will love you too.

aw, so sorry about Jake.

Losing parents and grandparents is so hard. Prayers to everyone for a wonderful Friday and the weekend is almost here!

thanks for all your encouragements. Some days what I do is really awesome...most days are. Once in a while we have a real stinker of a day!