Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Livin' Right

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Livin' Right

Just now getting to this thread. Interesting stories and congrats to all of you who have lost weight and quit smoking (1 habit I am very glad I never started! I hear it's hell giving it up).

I used to roller coaster my weight all the time. Lose it, gain it. The last time I lost 50 lbs. and kept it off for over 2 years and then it gradually started coming back on. I told myself then "I will never diet again!" It was to much of a letdown when it came back on. I have always been a plus size gal and will never be skinny--I have learned to accept that and am finally happy with my body, which in turn makes me more confident in myself! I'm a lucky girl that my husband also is happy with my body and in the 23 years we have been together has been with me thru it all and never once has ever criticized me because of my weight. I will never let myself get out of hand but I also know I was never meant to be a size 5, and can live with that. I'm very active (have to be with these kids) and try to eat decent but I love a good steak or fried chicken also. I don't drink or smoke so I figure what the heck!

On the veggie thing--I don't know if I have ever mentioned this before or not, despite their parents being huge meat eaters, both our children are vegetarian! Dillon is now almost 19 and decided at the age of 12 that he was no longer going to eat meat. Larry & I said ok and then laughed because we thought there was no way. That boy could put away a burger in 10 seconds flat! After about 6 months of it we figured he might stick with it and his sister who was 10 at the time decided she was also going to do it. We had people criticizing us because we were letting our children do that and it couldn't be healthy for kids that age. Let me tell you, my kids were healthier within a few months than they ever were, more active and happy! They both tried the vegan thing but gave it up (Dillon did it for 2 years and Katie only lasted a few month). Said they couldn't live without cheese and ice cream. The hardest part at first was what to buy and make for them. Now it's easy and since they are 18 & 16 they pretty much fend for themselves as far as meals. I just make sure we have the stuff in the house and they make it themselves.

Lou--Good for you and I'm very glad to hear your Mom was supportive of you when you decided to do that. I know from experience it wasn't easy for her and she probably took some flack from others. Good for her for letting you stay with it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

TBF, my son is vegetarian also, in spite of the fact that hubby and I both eat chicken and fish. He is 23 years old now, and became vegetarian at age 7. About 4 or 5 years ago, he decided to become vegan and he hasn't looked back. I know he is a lot healthier, even though he always looks way too thin for me! You know mothers!

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

During one of my walks today, I had to jog across the street to get out of the way of a car. I thought to myself, why not just keep jogging for the next quarter mile. OMG!!! My freaking legs are now burning! How in the world do people run for sport? I'm telling you, it would be so much easier to sit back and eat bon bons and do nothing... but I fear what old age will be like, so I must "Do Something".

Old age ain't bad. Lortab and Depends. The alternatives are not worthy of discussion. I'm playing golf in 10 minutes. Going to do my best to shoot my age (like THAT'S going to happen!)

MikeA

Mike, hope you had a good game and a great Father's Day!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Had a great round...HOT and MUGGY but a lot of fun. Kids came over late in the afternoon and Miles showed me how drums were supposed to be played. They gave me the Clapton/Winwood DVD and another that I'm anxious to watch...Closing of the Filmore West with the Airplane, Dead, Hot Tuna, Canned Heat and a lot of others that performed there.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Mike-anxious to hear what you think of the Clapton/Winwood dvd. They are 2 of my favorites and I love the song Dirty City!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

There's both good and bad in this. The good: on my 3 days off from work last week, I didn't have one cigarette. I had a pack on me but I just never felt the urge to light one up. I really didn't think about it at all. The bad: At work i've gotten pretty used to having a cigarette on all of my breaks. There are some nights when I get more than 5 breaks a night. As soon as I got back to work last night after my days off, I pulled out a cigerette and smoked away like I never even stopped for those 3 days. It's such a habit for me to smoke on my breaks at work. It doesn't make it any easier that many of my coworkers/friends are smokers too. I'm gonna do this, i'm going to quit. I just need to quit saying I will and DO IT!!!
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Jess, from all I've heard, that must be one of the most difficult things to do. I'm over here pulling for you. I know you are strong enough to do it - you just have to find a substitute 'habit' during breaks. And believe me, your smoking co-workers will be so envious of you if they see that you've quit!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Old habits die hard, that's for sure. I think once you hit that right mind set you can do it. I talk all the time about getting back my once very nice figure...but until I have those moments when I mean it, it's so hard to stay on track. I've been constant though, as I know I have to keep working at it.

I've been after my guy for years so quit smoking, but until he makes up "his" mind, there's not much I can do. He doesn't want to quit, that's the issue there! You however want to quit, so you will. You can do it and it will happen, I'm sure of that. You'll get your moment and make a choice to never do it again. I always think of my step-father... back in I think it was 1980, he said when cigarettes go to a dollar a pack he would quit. On that Halloween they went to a dollar, that was his last pack and he quit cold turkey... it's been 29 years... so yes, different things motivate us differently. =)