Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Livin' Right

Default Re: Livin' Right

Reading all of your Livin' Right habits are inspiring me to get back into a healthy lifestyle. I've strayed away from it during the last few months, using my working nights as an excuse. I have been good about keeping off the 40 lbs that I lost a year and a half ago. Losing that weight was due to a change in eating habits after I had a small bowel obstruction in Aug. 2007. I've still been able to keep off what I lost. One thing I definitely need to do is quit smoking. I quit for 2 months towards the end of last year but I started up again around Thanksgiving. I want to quit completely but I haven't been able to bring myself to try again.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Peek, good luck on giving up on the smoking. I understand it's a hard habit to break. One of my girlfriends quit twice, both times were when she was pregnant. After nine months of stopping, she started up after the kids were born. Now she's trying to stop again. Congrats on keeping off 40 lbs. That's really great!

Troub, just curious, what made you become a vegetarian? For some reason, whenever I find out someone is vegetarian or vegan I have so many questions. Why, have you always been, what made you change, etc I know several vegetarians, so it's not like it's new to me, but I do find it interesting.

Thanks LTL, it was really hard in the beginning when I quit the first time so I can only guess that it'll be even harder when i quit a second time.

I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I love a good steak. Before Lou came to the States, she warned me that she was a vegetarian and I was kinda freaking out because I had never been around anyone that was a vegetarian. I was thinking it was going to be really difficult to be able to find some good meals for her but we were both able to eat really well while she was here.

LTL, you're not alone in your curiosity. I think nearly every one of my family and friends that Lou met (including myself) asked her why, how, and when regarding her being a vegetarian. Hopefully she won't mind repeating it again.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I became a vegetarian when I was 9. I'd been thinking about it for a few weeks (I can't remember exactly why. I think it was a culmination of things - an article I'd read in a teen magazine, a TV show that showed a pig being killed) and I just started to feel that I really didn't want to eat meat anymore. I told my mum and she was really supportive, although I think she was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't get enough vitamins and protein. Nobody else in my family is a vegetarian, and I didn't have any veggie friends at that point - it was just something I decided by myself, and I haven't wanted to eat meat since.

Now, in supermarkets in the UK, there are whole sections of veggie food. We have a great brand called Cauldron, and I also love Quorn and Linda McCartney stuff. I eat veggie sausages, burgers, tofu, Quorn mince, fillets... There's so much to choose from, so there's no danger of me starving!

I can't really explain any more about why I decided to become a vegetarian... except to say that my mum has said she always thought I would be, because when I was 5, I saw her cutting up a fish in the kitchen and refused to eat fish from then on. I remember that, and so I guess I just don't like the idea of eating animals. I don't stand on any real moral ground, I don't try and convert anybody - I just can't imagine myself eating meat again.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That really is an interesting story, troub. It's funny, but I love fish and seafood even more than meat. I can envision giving up beef or pork, but please NEVER take away my salmon, shrimp, or oysters!

And speaking of giving stuff up - PB, I started smoking in college, but I quit cold turkey for good in 1984. Quitting was one of the hardest things I ever did, but once I did it, I have not ever smoked a cigarette since. I always said that I would never quit smoking again - so the only way to ensure that is to never start again. It takes a lot of strength, support, and discipline, but it can be done if you decide that you really want to do it. Good luck to you!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

First off, Congratulations to all of you that are taking off the pounds! Keep up the good work, and I hope you all reach your goals. Hopefully you can find some good ideas or suggestions from this discussion topic.

I've always had to work very hard to keep my weight where I like it, but with a lot of determination I've been able to stay healthy. Within the last year and a half I have dropped some major weight and have changed most of my lifestyle. It really all started with a rerun of Oprah! It was one of the episodes where Dr. Oz was on and he challenged people to give up soda for 1 week. Well, I was drinking obscene amounts of diet cola at the time, and I figured I would give it a shot. I wasn't very confident, but I did it, I dropped 7 pounds just cutting that out of my life. After that I was on a roll. I started cutting out all kinds of fast food (another 10 pounds) and junk food, I got a gym membership and started to walk around my neighborhood.

This last Tuesday I was in a car accident that has caused me back and neck problems, so I'll be out of my normal habits for a while. I'm able to go to the gym, but I can only handle short periods of 15 minutes or so. Luckily though, my doctors say that because I'm still young and will be going through therapy, that I will fully recover and be up and at it again in no time. Here's hoping I can control my chocolate addiction until then

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Such interesting stories!

Jess good luck with giving up the smoking. I think one really needs to vow that they will NEVER smoke again, which is very difficult to envisage. Troub, thats a great story about becoming a vegetarian. How sensitive you were. My Chris is starting to relate chicken, lamb and fish as meats with the cute little animals he sees as well and I wouldn't be surprised if he follows the same way. Still if its his decision I'll support him.

Mel I hope you weren't seriously injured and that you DO indeed recover fully. BTW I think chocolate is a very good cure for shock, and most of us in accidents suffer from shock. Delayed shock can last quite a while.

To everyone embarking on or resuming diets or exercise routines the best of luck. I hope they go well and that you get the results you desire.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I think I missed congratultaing Koala on her weight loss, but I do think it's great.

Mel, I'm sorry to hear of the accident. I hope your recovery process is quick. Good job on your weight loss too.

Seems like so many people are trying to get back on track and I think it's great. We should all be so lucky to live long, healthy lifestyles.

Troub, thanks for sharing. I understand where you are coming from... it makes sense. However, I can not eat a veggie burger... I find them so gross... probably as gross as you find eating a hamburger. Good for you though, you are living a good and healthy lifestyle.

It is a really interesting topic!

PB, good luck with giving up the smoking, Melrose, I hope you get better soon.
    I have also eaten for a while no meat, but after a few months I have eaten meat again, however, now I eat very few meat.
    Last edited by Koala; 05-24-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Mel, so sorry to hear about your accident! Take it easy and don't overdo it!

I think the hardest thing for me to give up re: meat would be chicken. Other than hamburgers, tacos, and steak fajitas, I don't eat a lot of beef. I dislike fish unless it's breaded and/or fried (of course lol). Ham sandwiches and breakfast sausage, or sausage on pizza, are the only times I eat pork.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten