Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I think so. It's been awhile since I read the book. I'll have to skim over later tonight and get back to you on that.
    Oh, don't bother - I finally remembered Azoff manages Van Halen, that's what the connection is. I don't suppose he has the same kind of close relationship that he does with Henley and Frey.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Oh, don't bother - I finally remembered Azoff manages Van Halen, that's what the connection is. I don't suppose he has the same kind of close relationship that he does with Henley and Frey.
    From what I remember in the book, I don't think so. I remember Sammy saying that his main job was to try and keep the peace and keep the Van Halen brothers sober.( I first read the book before I knew who Azoff was)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Irving Azoff and the Eagles get a lot of mentions in "The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerce," by Fred Goodman. Has anyone here read that? If the library has it, I may check it out - if only to pick out the references to our guys. I'm sure the author rakes them over the coals for their alleged greed.
    I've read part of that and he isn't too hard on the band. This is what I wrote in the Eagles books thread:
    In Mansion on the Hill by Fred Goodman, there's a good chapter on the Eagles and their management problems. The author interviewed Glenn Frey, JD Souther, Don Henley, Ned Doheney, Irving Azoff, John Hartmann, Harlan Goodman, John Boylan, Paul Ahearn and others in 1992/1993. i've seen bits of it in other books, but this is the clearest and fullest account.
    I have to admit that I've forgotten what it said.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Management problems... that must be when they had the throw-down with David Geffen to get their publishing returned to them.

Stuck on the Border

Management problems... that must be when they had the throw-down with David Geffen to get their publishing returned to them.
    It was the whole Elektra/Asylum merger, Geffen becoming less involved in management, lack of interest from Roberts and John Hartmann caught in the middle.

Meanwhile, my current rock star reading is an autobiography by Martin Turner, founder, original bassist and lead singer of Wishbone Ash, called "No Easy Road". It's self-published and, (I believe), self-written. His voice certainly comes through strongly and it's fairly well-written but doesn't always flow as well as books by professional writers. At other times, it's a good fit with Almost Famous with anecdotes of drug busts, equipment theft, scary plane flights and unruly audiences. There are also good descriptions of how songs were written. A nice touch is that throughout the book, there are sections written by the other people in the story and they give a more rounded picture. Turner comes across as down-to-earth, opinionated but decent. I'm liking him.

ETA: I haven't reached the acrimonious part of the band's history yet and having read a few reviews of the book, it's clearly a subject that gets fans of Andy Powell worked up. Since the book was published, there has been a court ruling on the use of the name "Wishbone Ash" in Powell's favour. The court documents for that were a good read.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-29-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Well, I'm taking a break from Heaven is Under our Feet. With the release of the "sequel", Go Set A Watchman, only a week away, I feel that I need to reread To Kill A Mockingbird to get acquainted with the characters.

I wanted to read Don Felder's Heaven and Hell, but the library was closed on Friday for the 4th .
    -Kim-

I know I'm a little slow on the uptake with reading...but I just read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand...I read somewhere that Timothy read it..and called it "amazing"...so of course I had to go buy it...and it really was "amazing"...I guess they made a movie out of it last year...didn't even know that...has anyone out there read it?

I'm waiting to get Genesis' autobiography in, Chapter and Verse. While waiting on it (should be here next week), I'm going to reread 2 of my favorite books, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I'm waiting to get Genesis' autobiography in, Chapter and Verse. While waiting on it (should be here next week), I'm going to reread 2 of my favorite books, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
    I didn't even KNOW about the Genesis book. Thank you AG.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I didn't even KNOW about the Genesis book. Thank you AG.
    You're welcome FP! I didn't know about it either until a friend decided to sell his copy a few weeks ago. Needless to say, I can't wait to get my hands on it! USPS tracking says it should be here tomorrow!
    -Kim-