Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duo Album - Who and Why?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Duo Album - Who and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I know Joe has said that maybe he and Henley could play som shows (very tentative) along the lines that they could each do their own stuff and come together for some Eagles music. However, when it comes to the practicalities of which order they would play, I see problems. Henley is the bigger name and more successful artist, so he wouldn't want to be the opener but following Joe would be quite hard for him and the audience as Joe's solo work is higher energy. Perhaps the kind of arrangement that Glenn and Joe had in their Party of Two tours would work - almost alternating songs - but that would require a single band.

I think it would be more interesting if they formed duos with other well-known artists.
    But the topic is about making an album, not going on tour.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But the topic is about making an album, not going on tour.
    Good point. For some reason I missed the word "album".

For an album, I can't imagine a Henley- Walsh effort judging by Joe's comments about Don and Protools over the years.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Good point. For some reason I missed the word "album".

For an album, I can't imagine a Henley- Walsh effort judging by Joe's comments about Don and Protools over the years.
    I think Don H is the one person least likely to record a duo album. However, if he was interested in working with Joe, I think Joe would do it. He may be an 'analog man' and not like recording alone as compared to recording with musicians (which you can do with ProTools), but if Don H was up for it, I can't imagine Joe not doing it.

Banned

Surely if Henley and Walsh decided to work together, they'd ask Schmit, maybe Bernie and Randy to contribute too. With recent past evidence, Henley is much more likely to write songs with Tim, rather than Joe.

I get the impression that Don doesn't really rate Walsh's song writing ability. In The City and Guilty Of the Crime were both second hand songs on new Eagles albums. Don has never championed Joe's contribution to Life In The Fast Lane (AFAIK) but that, along with Sad Cafe and Falling Down seem to be all they've written together in over 40 years.

No doubt that Henley found it a lot easier to write with Steuart Smith than he did with Joe Walsh.

It'd be fabulous if, after all these years, Henley and Walsh formed a productive writing partnership but Henley, probably Tim and Bernie too, don't write songs that accommodate big rock guitar so I still think a tour with the remnants of the Eagles is more likely than an album but, then again, people doubted the wisdom of Joe joining the Eagles in 1975 before they produced Hotel California.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I don't know what Don H is thinking, so can't speculate on what he would or wouldn't do.

But, I think it's plausible, I'm not saying likely, that he might decide to work with one ex-Eagle such as Joe, but not want to add the others. As if he adds the others it becomes closer to Eagles. Which is something he may or may not want.

Don H has recorded a country influenced album. And he's talked about an R&B album. He might decide after that that he does want to do a big rock album. Or perhaps Joe will decide to go all acoustic again.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Surely if Henley and Walsh decided to work together, they'd ask Schmit, maybe Bernie and Randy to contribute too. With recent past evidence, Henley is much more likely to write songs with Tim, rather than Joe.

I get the impression that Don doesn't really rate Walsh's song writing ability. In The City and Guilty Of the Crime were both second hand songs on new Eagles albums. Don has never championed Joe's contribution to Life In The Fast Lane (AFAIK) but that, along with Sad Cafe and Falling Down seem to be all they've written together in over 40 years.

No doubt that Henley found it a lot easier to write with Steuart Smith than he did with Joe Walsh.

It'd be fabulous if, after all these years, Henley and Walsh formed a productive writing partnership but Henley, probably Tim and Bernie too, don't write songs that accommodate big rock guitar so I still think a tour with the remnants of the Eagles is more likely than an album but, then again, people doubted the wisdom of Joe joining the Eagles in 1975 before they produced Hotel California.
    I agree entirely. I always thought that Glenn and Joe would team up to write something since they toured together and seemed pretty tight on a personal level. That would've been interesting in a lot of ways, but I think Don is more comfortable with other writing partners such as Stan Lynch and even Steuart Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I say bring back the magic.

Felder-Walsh. I can see a return to their bluesy rockin' roots. They can both write and crank out some cool guitar solos as well as provide an...interesting vocal combination. And yes, let Don sing a lead or two. Why not? This could be a chance to show what he can do on a new rendition of "Victim of Love." It would be the most marketable duo other than Henley-Walsh.

Probably an even longer shot than Meisner-Schmit, though.
    I would have to agree that Felder / Walsh duo would probably work, but it doesn't seem that they are even talking or communicating so it seems unlikely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    perhaps Joe will decide to go all acoustic again.
    wouldn't that be great!

I'm not keen on Felder and Walsh teaming up. Joe was attracted to the Eagles by Henley, Frey and Miesner's vocals, working with Felder was a side effect.

I like Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and Told You So but I think Felder constricts Walsh's ability to express himself rather than add anything.

If there are any new Glenn Frey songs to be played, I think I'd like the Eagles boys to have first refusal. I believe Jack Tempchin is working on releasing some.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    wouldn't that be great!

I'm not keen on Felder and Walsh teaming up. Joe was attracted to the Eagles by Henley, Frey and Miesner's vocals, working with Felder was a side effect.

I like Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) and Told You So but I think Felder constricts Walsh's ability to express himself rather than add anything.

If there are any new Glenn Frey songs to be played, I think I'd like the Eagles boys to have first refusal. I believe Jack Tempchin is working on releasing some.
    Presumably Jack Tempchin has the right to do whatever he wishes with songs he wrote with Glenn. I don't see how 'first refusal' can be claimed by people who had nothiing to do with these songs.

People will continue to indulge in wishful thinking about what they call a new 'Eagles' album or a new 'Eagles' tour. The former members haven't even managed to put together any sort of tribute to Glenn.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-14-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Didn't Jack Tempchin say that Glenn knew of his plans and had given his approval?

I think after years of the constraints of being in the Eagles, they should all take their freedom and work with whoever interests them most. And that is what they seem to be doing. When you listen to their recent solo work, it'[s very different.

How about a Leadon-Felder duo? Perhaps they could bring in the rest of their high school band. Or bring in Stephen Stills if they need a songwriter.