Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doolin Dalton

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Doolin Dalton

Midnight Flyer is an interesting one because if you compare the 1976/77 live performances to the 1974 DKRC version, the only line up change is having Joe in for Bernie, yet both of the other guitarists play a different instrument to the one they did just a couple of years earlier. On DKRC, Bernie is playing the banjo, with Glenn on slide guitar and Don F playing acoustic; in the 76-77 tour versions, Don F has taken over the banjo after Bernie's departure and Joe has replaced Glenn on slide, with Glenn moving to the acoustic part.
    EDIT: Just noticed tlr has addressed this very same point!

I think I also read that on the few occasions that Try And Love Again was played on the Hotel California tour in 1977, Don F played the song's electric guitar solo (which Glenn played on record) with Glenn on acoustic.

I've just thought of another one (although I'm not absolutely sure of it), in this case actually one which I believe Glenn played live originally but relinquished when the studio version was recorded - Good Day In Hell. I can't remember where (I think it was on here) but there's a concert recording from late 1973 where I seem to recall reading that he probably played the slide guitar on the early version of GDIH, which if he did play it then means he would have handed over slide duties to Don F when they recorded it for On The Border. In the pre-Don F era I think Glenn always played slide if it was required, it was more his musical territory than Bernie's.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I think I also read that on the few occasions that Try And Love Again was played on the Hotel California tour in 1977, Don F played the song's electric guitar solo (which Glenn played on record) with Glenn on acoustic.
    That's interesting. And Joe would be playing rhythm on electric guitar?

Randy said that Joe helped him develop that song - I assumed he meant with the arrangement. Joe probably (tho it's always dangerous to assume!) came up with the lovely little melody filigree played by the electric guitar.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I did a search and found the thread where I read about the guitars on the live version of TALA:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...191#post242191

Didn't know Randy had said that about Joe contributing to the track. Apart from anything else, I think this suggests, if not outright proves, that Joe was playing one of Gretsch's electric guitar models on the record!

Excuse me for asking, but which bit do you mean by the filigree? Just curious.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Well, if you were here I'd sing it for you: the opening hook "nyeer nyeer, nyee nyeh-nyeh-nyeh nyeeARR" - that bit! I'd bet money that Joe came up with that. Not a lot of money, mind.

filigree: ornamental work of fine (typically gold or silver) wire formed into delicate tracery.

That's what the guitar part sounds like to me.

Thanks for the link, Johny!

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I haven't watched either in ages, but isn't it the case that Glenn does lead and Joe rhythm on the Seattle bootleg, but for the Houston one it is then reversed? Different tours obviously but I'm sure I've seen Joe do the rhythm on Midnight Flyer somewhere. I remember from the DKRC version Felder did rhythm and Bernie did banjo: there can't be many Eagles songs where every guitarist ended up playing someone else's part!

In addition to Desperado he abandoned every Eagles-penned piano part bar Wasted Time and ICTYW after their reformation. I realise it probably pained him to play it on account of his arthritis but I do wish he and Don H. had stuck to the way they played in the Seventies more upon reformation. Sometimes you ended up with so many rhythm guitarists on one song you almost felt as though they were wasted.
    I can't be sure about the videos because I've only heard audio for the shows you mentioned. However, I saw the Eagles right after Walsh joined and it was probably the last time "Midnight Flyer" was in the set list and it was Walsh on slide and Frey on acoustic. No doubt Walsh is the better slide player, but it wasn't the kind of song that demanded a virtuoso to play it. I always felt that Frey handled it fine.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Joe took over the guitar solo for Witchy Woman. In later years, Glenn stopped playing the piano on Desperado.
    I didn't know this--when did he give up the guitar solo? I'm assuming it was during the post-HFO era (when it was no longer physically comfortable for Glenn to do a lot of guitar solos)?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Well, if you were here I'd sing it for you: the opening hook "nyeer nyeer, nyee nyeh-nyeh-nyeh nyeeARR" - that bit! I'd bet money that Joe came up with that. Not a lot of money, mind.

filigree: ornamental work of fine (typically gold or silver) wire formed into delicate tracery.

That's what the guitar part sounds like to me.

Thanks for the link, Johny!
    Nice sound effects, NMB! I believe Randy's quote was "Joe helped me with that, a little." That beginning guitar melody that repeats thereafter seems more than just a "little"; maybe they worked on it together? But who knows. You could be exactly right.

Banned

I was at the first post resumption concert to feature Witchy Woman in Manchester UK 2001 and it was definitely Glenn playing the guitar solo.

The inner cover of the 1981, Eagles Live album has a photo of Tim playing harmonica. I guessed that they must have been performing Doolin Dalton when it was taken. I loved Glenn's slide work on Midnight Flyer too. I was a bit disappointed when Joe took over. I believe Joe's hands are too big to play, thin necked, instruments like mandolin and banjo, so I can see why Don Felder switched to playing Bernie's parts on some tracks.

When I read that Joe helped Randy with Try And Love Again, I believed that Joe would have had a lot to do with the multi guitar arrangement. It's difficult having several guitars complimenting each other on an uptempo rock song, never mind a, vocal led ballad.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, I'm sure Glenn played the Witchy Woman solo in Manchester UK 2001, like Funk 50 said. But on the HOTE tour they played a totally different version of the song. If I remember correctly, Joe played a new solo, he didn't play Glenn's solo.

It sounds like here in this '74 Boston performance of "Tryin" that Glenn gave his guitar solo to Don F, esp. in the last 2 minutes which sounds quite Felderish (mislabeled "Keep on Tryin").

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vAhG0sX8DDM[/ame]

**Perhaps the thread title should be changed since the topic is more about the instrumental parts Glenn gave up rather than the actual song "Doolin-Dalton"**