Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley to make remarks at opening of Visitor Center at Walden Pond - Sept 27

Default Re: Don Henley to make remarks at opening of Visitor Center at Walden Pond - Sept 27

Here's a video from today. I love seeing Don in glasses. lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3bg86S1j4E[/ame]

Border Rebel

Default Re: Don Henley to make remarks at opening of Visitor Center at Walden Pond - Sept 27

I was able to attend the event and got my picture taken with DH at the reception afterward. You can only imagine how excited I must be! I told him how much I admired his work with Walden Woods and he said, "Thank you, dear." Not just thank you, but thank you dear! Be still my ! He is very handsome close up. *happy sigh* I will post the picture tomorrow as i need my daughter or son to help me. I am clueless about uploading pictures.

The ceremony was very nice. It was held outside the visitors' center. There weren't a ton of people attending, which surprised me, since Don had announced the opening at the concert last week! My daughter and I got there early and were able to claim a spot right in front of the podium for the speeches. Don's remarks were eloquent, as usual. He started by pointing out that the plastic cup he was holding was made of corn. Pretty cool! He talked about the five goals of the Walden Woods project. He kept having to clear his throat and apologized for his voice, saying he just finished touring. Then he cut the ribbon, along with the 4 or 5 other dignitaries, with a giant pair of scissors. He was smiling and laughing.

The new center is very cool. It's made almost entirely of recycled materials, and will be fueled by solar energy. There's a short video of Thoreau and Walden Pond, narrated by Ken Burns, but no one paid attention to that as people were talking and trying to meet Don and get pictures with him. I feel kind of guilty about that.

After we got our picture, my daughter and I hiked around Walden Pond and to Thoreau's cabin site. It was a nice afternoon for a hike and the perfect way to end the day. (Earlier in the day, we had visited Concord and seen a few of the historic sites there.)

I've hiked in other Massachusetts State Parks, and I'll definitely be returning to Walden to do more hiking and be able to appreciate the center without so many people around. But, needless to say, nothing will ever top this visit!
    Last edited by maryc2130; 10-03-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Border Troubadour

That's wonderful, MaryC I'm sooo jealous you got your photo taken with my Don Please do post the photo - I think I'd pass out just being so close to him...and of course he is very handsome

Thanks Shun for posting Don's 'remarks'. As usual, articulate, intelligent and inspiring...and he ended by quoting my favourite Thoreau quote "the possibilities of the future far exceed the accomplishments of the past" LOVE IT!
    Save
    Last edited by DivineDon; 09-28-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's so awesome MaryC you got a picture with him and got to meet him and thanks Shun for the vid!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

You go girl. I'm so glad you got to go and meet Don. I guess the only good chance of meeting Don is when he's at Walden Woods for an event.

Maryc, you are so lucky to be able to go to the opening and to have met Don and have your picture taken with him - that must have been the highlight of the day !
    Thanks for the great review and the hike sounded really good especially on a nice Autumn day.
    Can't wait to see your picture.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Maryc, how very exciting! I'm so glad you and your daughter got to go and then to get a pic with THE Don is just awesome! I know you must be on cloud 9!

Can't wait to see the pic!

Shun, thanks for the video too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Maryc, you lucky girl! And you got to share the experience with your daughter--how cool!

Wish I could have attended but I live in the UK 😢 What a great opportunity to have your picture taken with Don. I'm really surprised that not more people attended but I guess that Don wouldn't have wanted the event to turn into an Eagle's convention.

Border Rebel

A little later than promised, but here it is!