Page 4 of 273 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Documentary DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts but it doesn't sound as if there was much new in it.
    From a high level, no there wasn't. Not to those who follow the band like we do. But it was interesting to hear other's perspectives, the nice things Jackson had to say, JD, Seger. It was amusing when JD added his two cents about listening to Jackson write songs, it apparently got on his nerves! It was amazing to see footage of Glenn and Don backing up Linda. I'd read it in a review, but it was good to see.

I didn't know that Doctor My Eyes was a song or the song that Jackson was writing when Glenn and JD lived above him.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

[quote=Freypower;211807]
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLovesEagles View Post

Felder's version in his book is obviously not the correct version & Felder probably decided to use it so as it would sound less humiliating. He presumably did not run his version past the others. He changed a lot of things to make himself look better.

Thanks for your thoughts but it doesn't sound as if there was much new in it.
    I think when Felder said that he knows Henley's voice is better than pretty much anyone's, he wasn't trying to make himself look better. I think he was just disappointed because he thought he would be singing it.

To have Irving take him out & have Henley do the vocal behind his back, I thought was just kind of sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I didn't know that Doctor My Eyes was a song or the song that Jackson was writing when Glenn and JD lived above him.
    In the past, Glenn has said it was "Jamaica Say You Will" that he heard again and again, but JD mentions "Doctor My Eyes" and "The Pretender" specifically - I wonder how many others they heard?

One problem I had with the doc: they would often discuss a certain time period and then show a photo from a different time - like talk about Don's days in Shiloh and then show a photo of him behind a drumkit from 1979, or talk about Joe destroying a hotel room in 1976 while showing footage of a video from 1986 which was parodying that behavior (an uninformed person watching the doc would probably think that was real footage of Joe destroying a hotel).

I understand why they do that kind of thing but I don't like it.

As for that lake footage, were those naked dudes even Eagles at all? I think it might have been stock footage of naked hippies thrown in as "illustrative" of what was going on rather than actual footage of them... rather gratuitous!

For someone like me who is a hardcore and has seen almost all of the footage before, I still found a few new tidbits - for instance, I didn't know that Glenn wrote "such a fine sight to see" In addition to the other lines he wrote of TIE. He was also explicitly acknowledged as being a lyricist on the song "Hotel California." The Long Night at Wrong Beach as it's shown here reflects Felder's take on it as given in his book rather than ones Glenn has given in the past, but overall there seems to be a general consensus on how things broke down (despite omissions about the more personal aspects of their feelings). Joe states in a very open and honest manner that he used humor to mask his insecurities, and that he was intimidated by Glenn and Don. That takes guts to admit. Those are just a few nuggets. There are several others.

However, an objection from some might be that extensive background segments were done on Don and Glenn, but the rest of the guys didn't even get their home state mentioned. Many photos of the band were cropped to just Don and Glenn. Some might say it was "The History of Glenn Frey and Don Henley in the Eagles." Of course, they are the only original members still around!

Randy may look old, but he seems to be in his right mind. That's good.

Bernie's gained quite a bit of weight since 2004 but is as forceful and blunt as ever. Gotta love it!

I do think it was a bit unfair of Glenn to say that Felder didn't like playing benefits because he wanted to keep the money. He plays benefits all the time nowadays. Of course, one could argue that is a recent development and he didn't feel that way in the 70s.

I most enjoyed the rare photos and old footage, which had me squee-ing with delight. I can't wait for tomorrow night!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I just watched it again...loved it more the second time!...there's so much in it...it takes a while to digest it all...will need to watch it some more I think!!!

and...I got teary watching the end again!
    Last edited by zeldabjr; 02-16-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: adding to

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I checked the Showtime guide and Sunday from 3:00PM to 6:00 pm the
    show will be on again. Since it's 3 hours it must be the entire show.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Well, Seems like it's a "Thumbs Up" from all of you........Makes me even more excited for April!!
    I haven't had time to read all of your thoughts properly - I have to dash out now - but I will when I get back...Thanks everyone!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

This is killing me! But I'm so glad to read all of the rave reviews and stunned comments... I'm guessing it was good.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    That brings to mind one problem I had with the doc: they would often discuss a certain time period and then show a photo from a different time - like talk about Don's days in Shiloh and then show a photo of him behind a drumkit from 1979, or talk about Joe destroying a hotel room in 1976 while showing footage of a video from 1986 which was parodying that behavior (an uninformed person watching the doc would probably think that was real footage of Joe destroying a hotel).

I understand why they do that kind of thing but I don't like it.
    Soda, I was thinking this very thing while trying to get to sleep last night. It's probably a common thing to do in documentaries like this, but these guys had so much 'real' footage, you tend to assume that what you're seeing is from the time period discussed.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Whatever his real or perceived crimes, Frey at least has the good sense to say at one point, “I sang less and less. It was intentional, we had Don Henley.”

That last article states that Felder sang the lead vocal on Victim Of Love & it was wiped. Oops. I suppose yet again this goes back to Henley's superior vocal skills.
    The quote here from an earlier review, when Glenn said this is was said during the VOL segment. Felder said about Don's better vocals, then Don said that it didn't make any sense for Felder to sing it, that having Felder demand to sing it would be like Don demanding to play lead guitar on HC. Then Glenn followed with this quote.
    VK

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    The quote here from an earlier review, when Glenn said this is was said during the VOL segment. Felder said about Don's better vocals, then Don said that it didn't make any sense for Felder to sing it, that having Felder demand to sing it would be like Don demanding to play lead guitar on HC. Then Glenn followed with this quote.
    I thought the above quote was hilarious. I was in a serious state of mind listening and when DH said that i burst just out laughing.
    I've heard DF sing Hotel California and VOL and he sounded good but picturing DH with a double neck guitar would be cool to see.

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.