Page 46 of 166 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I go round and round on this. I'm open/vulnerable to logical arguemnts and despite not being interested in seeing Eagles 3.0, I could understand why and how it might happen. However, it takes someone like eaglesfans to get me back to the straight and narrow with all this talk of reproducing Glenn's parts.

And it brings me back to what John David Souther said.

Souther (on the future of the Eagles): They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Yes, Souther did say that, as Don Henley said something similar soon after Glenn's passing. For Henley at least, something has changed since then.

It's difficult to discuss this topic about who will be singing and playing Glenn's parts without seeming cold and analytical (plus it probably should be in the pre-concert thread). Then you get accused of claiming Glenn is not important. But when this thread starts veering into the territory of dissing the other members, it's hard not to respond. It's perfectly understandable to me that many fans believe there are no Eagles without Glenn. But what follows seems to be an insinuation that without Glenn, the others are irrelevant. That is unsettling to me.

Ex. I think eaglesfan made some good points about Eagles songs being played at solo shows. It was clear to me that eaglesfan was referring to songs where Glenn does NOT sing lead/have a prominent role. Then here it comes. Don Felder's guitar solo on "Hotel California", the band's signature song, can be "reproduced" but not Glenn's strumming because that would be sacrilegious? Glenn's rhythm and vocal harmonies were important but not Bernie's nor Randy's? Bernie and Randy's vocals were 1/2 the reason Glyn Johns was so impressed he decided to produce their first album. And they came up with most of their rhythm parts that have been "reproduced" for decades.

The Eagles will never be the same without Glenn. It may turn out that this whole thing blows up in their faces and Don, Joe and Timothy decide they never want to perform as the Eagles again. Who knows. But I agree with what Henley said in the "On the Border" article and Dreamer's statement in her response to me: the band is bigger than any one person.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I go round and round on this. I'm open/vulnerable to logical arguemnts and despite not being interested in seeing Eagles 3.0, I could understand why and how it might happen. However, it takes someone like eaglesfans to get me back to the straight and narrow with all this talk of reproducing Glenn's parts.

And it brings me back to what John David Souther said.

Souther (on the future of the Eagles): They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right.
    I was kinda hoping that JD would be taking part.

I know Henley doesn't speak in certainties but from the little I've heard from JD, I expect he'll have nothing to do with the Classic East / West shows. No wonder Vince Gill has been rumoured.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    It's difficult to discuss this topic about who will be singing and playing Glenn's parts without seeming cold and analytical (plus it probably should be in the pre-concert thread). Then you get accused of claiming Glenn is not important. But when this thread starts veering into the territory of dissing the other members, it's hard not to respond. It's perfectly understandable to me that many fans believe there are no Eagles without Glenn. But what follows seems to be an insinuation that without Glenn, the others are irrelevant. That is unsettling to me.

Ex. I think eaglesfan made some good points about Eagles songs being played at solo shows. It was clear to me that eaglesfan was referring to songs where Glenn does NOT sing lead/have a prominent role. Then here it comes. Don Felder's guitar solo on "Hotel California", the band's signature song, can be "reproduced" but not Glenn's strumming because that would be sacrilegious? Glenn's rhythm and vocal harmonies were important but not Bernie's nor Randy's? Bernie and Randy's vocals were 1/2 the reason Glyn Johns was so impressed he decided to produce their first album. And they came up with most of their rhythm parts that have been "reproduced" for decades.

The Eagles will never be the same without Glenn. It may turn out that this whole thing blows up in their faces and Don, Joe and Timothy decide they never want to perform as the Eagles again. Who knows. But I agree with what Henley said in the "On the Border" article and Dreamer's statement in her response to me: the band is bigger than any one person.

Delilah, with the greatest respect, Bernie & Randy left the band in the 70s & Felder hadn't been with them since 2001. They weren't being 'dissed'. We were talking about the band as it was when Glenn died. Nobody said the other members are irrelevant. I just disagree with these three calling themselves 'Eagles'.

I believe Dreamer's statement about the band being bigger than any one person has been misinterpreted. I don't believe she means it in the way it is being used here. Her view, which I share, is that without EITHER Frey or Henley, there is no Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It's all very mixed up. I think emotionally, a lot of fans aren't ready to move on because they (we) feel there should be some kind of tribute to Glenn that is shared with fans. Perhaps what is particularly upsetting is that Don, Joe, Timothy and Irving are moving to the next stage without giving us that tribute.
    I completely agree and feel this whole situation could have been avoided! I've thought all along that they needed to do a tribute show for Glenn. In addition to honoring his immeasurable contribution, it would allow the fans to gather together to mourn and celebrate his legacy! If their motivation is truly money, it would have been immensely successful and likely to earn even more. Rather than upsetting loyal fans, it would have united everyone that shared this love and allowed those still hurting over his loss to gain some closure.

I'm truly torn and afraid to miss any opportunity to see them. I hope and pray that the Friends & Family concept will happen and include all those that can share their love for Glenn and the music they made together.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    I feel like many are avoiding the Eagles' resumption not because of the possibility they won't enjoy it, but because of the probability that they will. I think that's a scary thought for a lot of people. Avoidance is definitely the safest, most defensible stance, and probably the most easily validated. I think I will enjoy it, too, but I have to find out for myself.

I love Glenn Frey. I think, as Eagles fans, we all do. That's why it's interesting to see so many taking sides, as if one's feelings on the Eagles without Glenn are equal to their feelings about Glenn himself. I love both. It kills me that, at the upcoming shows, I won't hear Glenn sing "Lyin' Eyes" or play guitar on "Witchy Woman" or introduce Timothy as "The pride of Sac-arra-mento Caleefornya!"

But starting Jan. 18, 2016, I was never going to hear those things again, anyway, and I'm only 34. I was and am going to live 50-ish years (hopefully) with those major voids. A world without Glenn is a void for all of us, and it will never be filled. Ever. But I don't want to live the rest of my life without hearing Don's drums on "Life's Been Good" or watching Timothy and Steuart play the ending notes on "I Can't Tell You Why."

There is no replacing Glenn, either in the Eagles or in our hearts. But life does go on, and I want mine to go on with this band -- as true to itself as it can possibly be -- as long as possible.

See you in Los Angeles.

I understand both sides of the dilemma and certainly empathize with those feeling the hurt and anger with the situation. I have my own concerns and wish Don would speak up and explain their motivation, but I know that's unlikely. What I do know is that I love this band and their music. I grieve for Glenn every day and can't imagine how they can carry on. But, I'm terrified to miss any opportunity to hear this music again! After losing Glenn so unexpectedly, the fact that they are all aging is a harsh reality that we all must face.

I have eternal hope that they will bring along family & friends to pay tribute to Glenn. In the meantime, I can't decide which show to attend. I've been fortunate to see them live twice so I cherish their 3 hour shows. I'm not sure the festival format would give them sufficient stage time. I am considering Don's birthday bash since Joe & Timothy will be there, but what if they decide to bring Deacon in as a surprise on Take it Easy at the festival?

I do believe that if either performance is a huge success, they will continue in some format. I personally think the Family & Friends format would be extremely lucrative and would be the first step in healing for many hurting fans.

Your thoughts....Classic East or Don's Birthday Bash?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Tee View Post
    I understand both sides of the dilemma and certainly empathize with those feeling the hurt and anger with the situation. I have my own concerns and wish Don would speak up and explain their motivation, but I know that's unlikely. What I do know is that I love this band and their music. I grieve for Glenn every day and can't imagine how they can carry on. But, I'm terrified to miss any opportunity to hear this music again! After losing Glenn so unexpectedly, the fact that they are all aging is a harsh reality that we all must face.

I have eternal hope that they will bring along family & friends to pay tribute to Glenn. In the meantime, I can't decide which show to attend. I've been fortunate to see them live twice so I cherish their 3 hour shows. I'm not sure the festival format would give them sufficient stage time. I am considering Don's birthday bash since Joe & Timothy will be there, but what if they decide to bring Deacon in as a surprise on Take it Easy at the festival?

I do believe that if either performance is a huge success, they will continue in some format. I personally think the Family & Friends format would be extremely lucrative and would be the first step in healing for many hurting fans.

Go to the Birthday concert. At least it isn't being billed as 'Eagles'. That is 'Eagles'. The spurious 'family & friends' thing that was seized on by so many turned out to be incorrect.

I guess I don't understand this 'I must see them again' attitude. When Glenn died, they ended for me. Others obviously don't see it that way. They seem not to be even bothered that Glenn won't be there. Well, go with it, then. Just don't ask me to agree with it.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Go to the Birthday concert. At least it isn't being billed as 'Eagles'. That is 'Eagles'. The spurious 'family & friends' thing that was seized on by so many turned out to be incorrect.

I guess I don't understand this 'I must see them again' attitude. When Glenn died, they ended for me. Others obviously don't see it that way. They seem not to be even bothered that Glenn won't be there. Well, go with it, then. Just don't ask me to agree with it.
    Is anybody asking you to agree? If you're done with the Eagles since Frey won't be part of them anymore, then people should respect that.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Momma Tee View Post

Henley is definitely playing his financial hand well here in his final chapters. You know he demanded a lot of money to still go out as The Eagles without Frey and the birthday thing is a great way to monetize his 70th...selling out an arena he never could on his own or without special guests.

It's ironic because 10 or 15 years ago, he wasn't much of a draw, but through smart business decisions and marketing, he's become a bigger draw than he has since the late 1980's-early 1990's.

I'd guess an Eagles tour next year is almost inevitable and he's now able to take an even greater percentage of the guarantee as he's the last actual Eagles still in the band with Walsh and TBS hired hands.