Page 40 of 166 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post

The person responsible for all elements of mourning the death of a loved one is the spouse, not work colleagues. Just like if it were you or me who died. Cindy is the one who would be spearheading a public tribute to Glenn, not Don, Timothy and Joe. I feel confident that if she asked them to put one on, they would do it, don't you? Though EAGLES is a big massive machine, Glenn was a private person with a family, and his family is honoring his life in the ways that they wish to honor it. Without Cindy's participation and blessing, the Eagles brand does not even have a moral or ethical right to put on a public concert tribute to Glenn. If you are unhappy that there hasn't been a public event, direct your request to Cindy, not your ire at Don, Joe, Tim and Irving, who are certainly friends and colleagues, but are not the decision-makers when it comes to events honoring his passing.

The guys played at the Grammys in his honor, which was obviously difficult. They participated in a blow-out private memorial. They sat with Cindy at the Kennedy Center Honors. They speak of Glenn in every interview. They sing his songs and dedicate songs to him in every solo show. They will undoubtedly honor him at the Classic shows. Some will think their public acknowledgement of his death has been entirely appropriate, but others think it is sorely lacking. I think we should keep in mind that in this most sensitive and stressful situation, Cindy is the one in charge of how his fans are to be acknowledged.
    Thanks MC -very well said - you're a voice of reason amongst us all

Soda - I'm sorry you're feeling so down about this. Its obvious that yourself, FP and GA are still reeling from Glenn's passing and these events are not helping. There's nothing that I or anyone can say other than time does heal
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I find this thread difficult. I understand that people are deeply hurt. However, when I didn't post here it seemed to me that people were attacking the remaining Eagles, with criticism sometimes appearing to be hatred. Where I feel that the criticism has gone too far and is unfair, I feel that it's right to defend them.

Don Henley will not be happy until he sucks every last dollar from his fans. Cheapest ticket $150...after that $250 and up. Packages available for Thousands of dollars. With tickets plus fees, parking and drinking, food two nights...easily a couple will spend AT THE LEAST $500. I love Eagles music but have little desire to see Henley sing Desperado from the upper deck of Mets Stadium. Of the other bands Fleetwood Mac is the only one that makes it tempting. I like Steely Dan but always heard their live shows suck.
    Last edited by OutlawManNJ; 03-31-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The Eagles did quit in 1981. I don't think anybody questions that their music was kept alive almost entirely by Radio. Radio no longer has that power. Glenn also insisted that he and Don were paid twice as much as the other Eagles as, he claimed, they did the most to promote the band's name during the "14 year vacation".
    I was aware of these things when I posted my comment. It's been several decades since the 80's and the band hasn't gotten any smaller. And it certainly isn't in danger of being forgotten if Don, Joe and Timothy don't keep on touring IMHO.

Basically all I did was say "I disagree" in my earlier post.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-31-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Soda,
    Your last post explains exactly how I feel about everything going on. I have no clue how to feel better either. I don't have anymore words to say, thank you for saying it so well.

From another Broken Hearted Fan

I couldn't care less at this point who is responsible for this travesty. Azoff makes me cringe and now so does Don Henley,TBS and Joe Walsh. If I want to listen to Eagles music that's easy enough to do but frankly I'm not feeling it. This has been a rude awakening unlike any other I've ever experienced as a classic rock fan. In fact, I'm so disallutioned it's likely my days as an Eagles fan are coming to an end.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    We have multiple references in these threads to the tribute to George Harrison that took place one year after he died. Per Wikipedia: The event was organised by Harrison's widow, Olivia, and son, Dhani, and arranged under the musical direction of Eric Clapton and Jeff Lynne. The profits from the event went to the Material World Charitable Foundation, an organisation set up by Harrison.

The person responsible for all elements of mourning the death of a loved one is the spouse, not work colleagues. Just like if it were you or me who died. Cindy is the one who would be spearheading a public tribute to Glenn, not Don, Timothy and Joe. I feel confident that if she asked them to put one on, they would do it, don't you? Though EAGLES is a big massive machine, Glenn was a private person with a family, and his family is honoring his life in the ways that they wish to honor it. Without Cindy's participation and blessing, the Eagles brand does not even have a moral or ethical right to put on a public concert tribute to Glenn. If you are unhappy that there hasn't been a public event, direct your request to Cindy, not your ire at Don, Joe, Tim and Irving, who are certainly friends and colleagues, but are not the decision-makers when it comes to events honoring his passing.

The guys played at the Grammys in his honor, which was obviously difficult. They participated in a blow-out private memorial. They sat with Cindy at the Kennedy Center Honors. They speak of Glenn in every interview. They sing his songs and dedicate songs to him in every solo show. They will undoubtedly honor him at the Classic shows. Some will think their public acknowledgement of his death has been entirely appropriate, but others think it is sorely lacking. I think we should keep in mind that in this most sensitive and stressful situation, Cindy is the one in charge of how his fans are to be acknowledged.
    MC, I think this is an excellent way of looking at it and I hadn't thought of it in this way. And, I think you are right, that Cindy is the one that would be in charge of anything pertaining to a some kind of big tribute to Glenn.

I still have no desire to go see the Eagles without him.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post
    Thanks MC -very well said - you're a voice of reason amongst us all

Soda - I'm sorry you're feeling so down about this. Its obvious that yourself, FP and GA are still reeling from Glenn's passing and these events are not helping. There's nothing that I or anyone can say other than time does heal
    Thank you for this post because I know you were upset with me.

I agree with everything Soda said.

What I don't understand is why the onus should be on Cindy Frey to arrange a tribute to her husband (referincing Olivia Harrison). They had the private tribute; we are talking about a public, musical one. She is not in the music industry herself & surely would not have the expertise to put it together. She would need the cooperation of the remaining Eagles & Irving. Whoever did it, it 'should have been done long ago' (thank you CSNY).

People keep saying that Glenn's songs should still be played. Ah, but what about the SINGING? Have those of you who support this forgotten his voice? Well I have not, and neither have Soda & GA & some others. Playing his songs, regardless of who plays them, cannot recreate the sound of his voice.

You can still hear their music. You can listen to it. Why you would want to see it performed yet again with a quarter of it missing, is beyond me. Even if Glenn was not your favourite member surely you can understand that. He was also the one who connected with the audience. Henley may do that in his solo shows but he didn't with the Eagles. I suppose you will all say 'well perhaps he will now''! So that's alright then.

As for the outrage, AT, a lot of it has to do with Henley and his 'desperate' comment and other reassurances that the band was finished. This has been a public relations disaster from start to finish.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-31-2017 at 05:56 PM.

I really do hate that this has happened. Really has caused division and infighting and a lot of other things I wished could have been avoided. It is very unfortunate.

I personally am upset, but not to the level of some, but IMO, they have every right to feel that way. It isn't unreasonable. As far as bias, we all are. You could have spun this many different ways and all groups of fans would have felt the despair of this announcement. But I hope that it all settles down soon. I hope.

I personally am looking forward to seeing Joe in May, but I can understand how someone would feel like not going to the guys shows because of the announcement. I feel like Tim and Joe while they aren't mindless and doormats, are less to blame than Irving, and as much as I hate to say it, Don. But I can sympathize with those who are upset at all of them and everyone involved.

I still have no idea who if anyone will be singing Glenn's songs. Surely they wouldn't do a show of just Henley and Walsh and Tim songs and completely leave out all of Glenn's songs. Then again, it will be hard to see others sing them so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing here. No good way to do it.

All in all, I feel it was a bad decision. They had the right to do it, but that doesn't make them exempt from criticism as others have said. And more power to those who are excited at this announcement. No ill will against you. But I feel like it really was the last thing the fans of the band needed - division and drama.

I really hope they will stop after these two shows, but in my mind and heart I know that is likely to not happen. I sure wish there was a rewind, pause, skip, and fast forward button to life, but alas it doesn't exist. That said I hope this eventually becomes a thing of the past and people will feel better about it all.

Stuck on the Border

I agree with what Austin just said. People feel differently about this and it's fine by me. The only time I feel it's not ok is when someone says something like "Now that Glenn's no longer here the Eagles can start again and reach new heights " That kind of stuff makes it sound like Glenn was an obstacle, while at the very best it should be a "let's try and work this out" scenario IMO if they choose to make new music (which I personally don't think they will or should). All the other stuff I can easily take even when I strongly disagree. It's been interesting reading posts from people who feel differently - in some cases just the opposite.

So, personally I have zero interest in the band (live or on record) when Glenn's not there, but I can understand people who have and I don't feel they belong in another planet or something.