Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Default Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

I don't get the hate for Joe's 80s version of Desperado with Sam Kenison. Nice electric lead accompaniment too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGNXAge0LhE[/ame]

I mean, Glenn sang it solo, why not Joe. Yes I know Glenn wrote some of it, but I thought and think Joe's versions of both Desperado and LITFL are every bit as good in their own way. It rubs me wrong to think of DH getting pissy over Joe doing Desperado. I thought this was a good version in Joe's own little way. Certainly not worth being snarky over.

I think it's as good as Glenn's version of Desperado. Glenn's is smoother of course and more like the record but I think Joe's version has a charm to it to this day when he does it. Yes the 80s one is rough around the edges, yes it features Joe's more ragged voice, and yes it's not perfect but that's EXACTLY why I love it. It's NOT perfect. He even forgets and changes some of the words. But I think it's FAR better than people give it credit for. Again, it just makes me mad that Henley would get mad at Joe. Joe DID NOT ruin that song or do it any kind of disservice. It's cool in it's own way. Heck it's better than most others singing it in bars or tribute bands lol. At least, to me. I realize I'm in the minority. That's ok though.

I realize going in this is a polarizing topic. Let's be civil.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Where is the interview or other source where Don H was angry or annoyed about this?

I think it's awful...

I remember seeing that video a few years ago and not liking it at all. Hearing it now, I don't mind it. I think the fact that Joe's condition was pre rehab made it hard for me to watch & listen. I still find it disturbing to watch.

Banned

I actually prefer Glenn's version of Desperado but Joe definitely identifies with the sentiments of the song.

When Joe was in Ringo's 1989 All Starr band, he would open the 2nd act, alone at the piano singing Desperado. Ringo would have each star perform 2 or 3 of their own hits with Ringo providing about a 3rd of the set list. Joe also led the band through Life In The Fast Lane and Rocky Mountain Way.

I suppose Henley thought Joe should stick to his own songs, he sang them during Eagles concerts. Joe wasn't even in the Eagles when they recorded Desperado plus, at the time, Joe's had only spent about 5 years as an Eagle and the Eagles had been split, acrimoniously, for almost twice as long.

Also, in the mid eighties, there was a radio broadcast of one of Joe's concerts, during which, Joe played the intro to Desperado, to rapturous applause before pausing and then singing just the first word in a silly voice. Joe chuckled and then launched into one of his own songs. It got a big laugh but I don't think Henley would have been laughing.
    On every other occasion, even when drunk, Walsh has performed Desperado, with the respect and gravitas it deserves but you can't, un-hear, the joke version once you've heard it.

Joe actually performed Desperado during his MTV Unplugged show but it's never been broadcast. I wonder if it failed to get Henley's approval although it wouldn't strictly be needed.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I think it's cool! It would be better if he sang the right words though.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I thought this was a good version in Joe's own little way.
    Me too! Nice job, Joe. I didn't know Sam Kinison could play guitar.

Considering the timeframe, it could've been worse...a lot worse. I can also understand Don's displeasure at the song, if that was the case. For starters, Joe butchered the lyrics. Did he really ask for help at one point in the song?
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

I found the article Soda posted a few years ago about Don not happy with Joe singing Life In The Fast Lane. I couldn't find anything about Desperado.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5685304&hl=en

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh my. He really denigrated Joe's contribution to the song, "he wrote the little guitar riff in the introduction." Hmph. Mr. Henley knew very well that the riff is on the chorus(es) as well, and is integral to the whole sound and effect of the song.