Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bernie Interview UNCUT: "No xmas cards"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bernie Interview UNCUT: "No xmas cards"

I love that "No Christmas cards". Seems that Glenn has always been good at coming up with hilarious little phrases. That sounded perfectly understandable to me. It didn't say that the musical ambition wasn't there; just that no one would have any delusions about them being there for the friendship. It's great when that is settled from the very beginning, so that there will be no "where did the friendship go" later on.
    I found that interesting especially because in his book Don F kind of grieves about the lack of friendship in the band. But now it looks like it was perfectly clear from the very beginning.
    People who work well together don't have to be friends. Often there's this illusion among rock fans that people in a band are best friends, and when they find they are not together when they're not working, they think those people are "not talking".
    And finally, I'm sure almost every musician would like to become rich and famous. It's just that most of them won't admit it and keep repeating this "for me it's only about the music" mantra with a humble expression on their faces. Which reminds me of my favourite Freudian slip. Don Felder: "For me it's all about the money...the music".

I think there are people who don't care about wanting to be rich and famous, because that price is too much. Also, some people don't want a drastic change in life, or not being able to go for a walk, or having tabloids spilling every thing you do NOT want to be known to people all over the world. I certainly wouldn't, but I wouldn't mind making $100,000 a year instead of putting myself in debt to play music around the world, or simple recordings - I'd definitely like some more instruments, but $5,000 would be enough for that.

Out on the Border Lifeofillusion's Avatar

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/eagl...g-outlaws-8613

This link should take you to the 4 page article.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's high praise for Mr. Meisner's song by Jackson Browne: “The idea of musicians as outlaws was never intended by me to be the whole metaphor,” says Browne. “It was more something you could hint at, and the song on that album that does that best is ‘Certain Kind Of Fool’. It could be about a gun, it could be about a guitar, and it’s not really about cowboys at all. There’s no western motif.”

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

P.S. It occurs to me, very slowly because it's a Monday, that Bernie could have made that remark flippantly OR he was just speaking about his own experience - maybe he felt he didn't have any close friendships within the band.

Certainly Henley and Frey were very close in the 70s.