Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songwriting Techniques

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Songwriting Techniques

http://blog.sonicbids.com/5-lyrical-...an-ruin-a-song

Since so many of our favorite bands and artists are also exceptional songwriters, I thought this might be a good topic. Especially since our Eagles are considered some of the best of the best. This link gives ideas on what not to do when writing a song.

Everyone please feel free to add your own thoughts.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Songwriting Techniques

Several of these are good for creative writing, too. I'm often telling my students that vivid language and creative metaphors will often lift a work a great deal, while cliches and boring, generic adjectives will do the opposite.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

It's not that I necessarily disagree with any of those points, but as I was reading I immediately thought of great songs that break those rules.

Miracles by Jefferson Starship violates #5 (Marty Balin sings "baby" over 25 times); Old Days by Chicago is chock full o' nostalgic scenarios; and Nilsson's Without You breaks rule #1 big-time.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I don't know much about songwriting or writing in general, so I can't much about it. I truthfully think that there's no one way to a write a song (or write anything fof that matter). Each song is different. I think that it depends on the subject matter and the intended audience. (12/13 y/o girls don't care if the word "baby" is half of a song).

I believe that it was Glenn Frey who said to "paint a picture". (I think that I remember reading him saying that in the thread of the NYU session he did). That's one rule that I do agree with. Even today, where there's music videos galore, I think that rule is just as important as it was 40 years ago.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Glenn's advice to "show don't tell" is typically given in creative writing classes (it was in mine, anyway) for people writing prose and poetry. Henley recommends this too. Clearly, they practice what they preach in terms of the Eagles' story-songs, like Lyin' Eyes and Life in the Fast Lane. At the NYU seminar, Glenn said something like, "Don't tell me how you feel" [I made up a Word document of all his remarks that our kindly Border members in attendance shared but I don't have it handy at the moment], but I think the confessional/lay-all-your-feelings-out type of songwriting can be effective too. Shoot, he's the expert though.

I also want to say that I disagree with the old adage "if it works, run it into the ground". Writing the same kind of song over and over just because it works is sort of like selling out to me.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I suppose that if a song is strong enough in other areas, one of the 'rules' can broken, or at least bent, and still be a good song.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I agree that those rules apply for creative writing. I remember having the "use a wide vocabulary" rule drilled into my head to prepare for the 5th,8th, and 11th grade writing tests (though I never took the last one). I'm currently attempting to write (both on whatever topic and on a specific topic ) for the first time in since my 9th grade year back in 2011, over 4 years ago. The cliche rule was something that someone mentioned that I broke while writing my introduction, but I think it fits.

Subject matter-wise, I personally prefer songs that are based on real life or possible real life events. (Ie: Lyin Eyes or LITFL). Personally, I think that is the best subject matter. For example, my all-time favorite song, For What Its Worth by Buffalo Springfield was written by Stephen Stills in a matter of minutes after he witnessed the LA riots. That song has become one of the most enduring songs from the 60s.
    -Kim-

You're right, VA. Take someone like Brian Wilson. There's no writing or music teacher in the world who'd recommend that you base the majority of your (early) songs on the surfing lifestyle. That also breaks the "write about what you know" credo as Brian was not a surfer. But he's such a genius, he could've written about stamp collecting and the music would've been great, soaring stuff.

Stuck on the Border

Didn't Glenn say nobody wanted to hear "My baby left me..."? Because I immediately wanted to hear just that, despite not having thought of Alvin Lee or Ten Years After for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0GjhGiHx5A