Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Default Re: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Yeah, I think I'll sit this game out and just observe
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    No, dont do that! The variety of opinions will be what makes it interesting. I hope that after this game JCL may consider a Solo Artists game!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I meant my comment as a joke . Being serious, out of your list, Coldplay would be the one I'd say to put on the list because they were somewhat popular here.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Its not that !!!! - its more me not having a clue about the bands and their history/influences

I realise that my taste in music is completely different to most on here and I'm not sure I could actually add anything to the game but I'll watch and if I think I can add something, then I'll join in.

But definitely, a Solo Artists game would be great - that one would suit me a lot better
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Even though my music tastes really do not agree with it, shouldn't there be at least one or two modern bands? (Formed within the past 20 years or are defining of the 2000s?)
    -Kim-

I'd be up for a solo artists battle as well .
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Even though my music tastes really do not agree with it, shouldn't there be at least one or two modern bands? (Formed within the past 20 years or are defining of the 2000s?)
    Are any of them 'legendary'? Pearl Jam, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers? In my view they haven't been around long enough, although Green Day are already in the Hall of Fame. The 90s are represented by Nrivana & if I had my way Oasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Are any of them 'legendary'? Pearl Jam, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers? In my view they haven't been around long enough, although Green Day are already in the Hall of Fame. The 90s are represented by Nrivana & if I had my way Oasis.
    I'd say that Green Day definitely are, giving how they kept punk rock going through the 90s, 00s, and now 10s. I'd rather have Pearl Jam than Nirvana, but I know that overall Nirvana are more well liked.
    RHCP, I'm in between on. I know nothing about Oasis .
    -Kim-

I'm pretty straightforward with my tastes in music and don't like stuff that's much different than mainstream classic oldies rock like you hear on the radio. I've always liked the poppier stuff and radio hits and such. I'm not a big Yes/Pink Floyd/Genesis/RUSH fan etc and I'm not much into modern rock so no real decision either way there for me.

Love Allmans, Skynyrd, Cream, ZZ Top, and KISS though.

Skynyrd is definitely legendary, their songs are amazing and the guitar work is second to none.

I definitely stick to the Eagles, Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynyrd, KISS, etc of the world. I like mainstream stuff when it comes to "classics". I guess it's because I get excited as a performer to play the songs everyone knows and see people go crazy during a classic intro, and I love the songs I heard growing up around the house and I like the songs that have a more upbeat edge. I like some deep tracks, but they aren't "weird". It's the only way I can describe it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks everyone for the great response! Glad you’re looking forward to playing.

Proposed Revisions to Gameplay
    Having read through the suggestions (I will go through these in more detail below) I have considered making a change to the start of the game. This would involve increasing the total number of bands to 56, meaning that most of the band suggested so far could be included. There would be a preliminary round of 24 ties with 48 bands entering at this stage, with the ‘Magnificent Seven’ going straight into the first round along with one other band.

I would suggest that U2 is probably the most suitable candidate to join the seven. There are other bands I would prefer to have this honour but I think U2’s longevity and successful reinvention of their sound in the early 1990s, at a time when they could easily have become an irrelevance. Their appeal is more widespread than most of the other remaining bands and a decade ago their music was highly influential (perhaps less so now). The only major con is that their post-2000 work has done little to enhance their reputation (I know a few U2 fans who love their 80s/90s music but don’t care for the albums from All That You Can’t Leave Behind on), but I suppose something similar could be said for The Rolling Stones. I am happy to hear other suggestions though.

In some ways I like the more straightforward approach with 32 bands, but increasing the number of bands in this way would make it much easier to justify including more than one band from a particular movement (for instance with 32 bands – the seven plus another 25 – I think at least one of the Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd would have to miss out as they are both Southern Rock, with 56 both can be included comfortably). I considered having a first round with 64 bands, but 32 ties is too many for a round IMO.

This is my proposal for the revised version of the game:
    56 bands in total – 8 bands (The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd The Rolling Stones, The Who and U2 (?)) enter Round 1, the other 48 enter the Preliminary Round.

Preliminary Round – 48 bands -> 24 bands (24 ties; 2 rounds of 12 ties)
    Round 1 – 32 bands (24 + -> 16 bands (16 ties; 2 rounds of 8 ties)
    Round 2 – 16 bands -> 8 bands (8 ties; 2 rounds of 4 ties)
    Quarter Final – 8 bands -> 4 bands (4 ties)
    Semi Final – 4 bands -> 2 bands (2 ties)
    Final – 2 bands -> WINNER!

Suggestions for Changes to the List
    Now I will try and respond to all the suggestions for amendments to the list (don't take it personally if I've forgotten anything, there were quite a few to cover... thanks for all the suggestions).

I am glad that you mentioned Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Lacken, as it made me reconsider their status – I think I can definitely count them as a band rather than the backing band to a solo artist. I would also say that The Jimi Hendrix Experience should count as a band too, I intend to add them to the list too. However, the likes of Crazy Horse and The E Street Band are the backing bands for Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen so I don’t think they should be included (Neil and Bruce would certainly be included in the solo artists version though!).

The Police are another good choice I think, they appeal to fans of rock, pop and post-punk. Radiohead are well known enough and are certainly sufficiently respected to include I think so I’ll add them as well. I couldn’t name a Talking Heads song though so I’m not sure they are sufficiently well known.

I’m not too sure about The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Green Day but wouldn’t be opposed to giving them a spot. Come to think of it, Pearl Jam would be a pretty sound inclusion – I think I mentally gave the ‘grunge’ spot to Nirvana but PJ have had a longer career and started over 20 years ago. Then again, maybe The Foo Fighters (effectively an off-shoot of Nirvana) could be a decent representative of modern rock – they too have been around a good while, especially as Joe Walsh has recently collaborated with them giving them a fair bit of exposure on this forum. It’s a bit early on to determine whether any bands started in the last decade or so are legendary, although I’d personally struggle to think of any impressive bands who have emerged in the mainstream in the last few years.

Of the last four you mentioned I think I will include Coldplay but not the others. They are certainly very popular in the US (Viva La Vida was the first number 1 single in the US by a British group for over a decade IIRC) and I think in time they will probably remembered as a group who have that knack of writing pop hit after hit, a bit like ABBA I guess. Elbow are good but I’m really not sure they are quite big enough outside the UK, The Killers are American themselves but I’m not sure whether they’ve done quite enough to justify inclusion. I’m afraid I don’t think Snow Patrol are sufficiently ‘legendary’ regardless of popularity – they have a couple of big UK hits, which are good but I think are too similar to Coldplay’s songs from the same era. They’re just not quite distinctive enough IMO.

I think thelastresort hit the nail on the head with The Byrds – they influenced the Eagles greatly as the pioneers of country rock, but they influenced many other bands as well (I have lost count of the number of times I have read the phrase ‘Byrdsian guitar line’). Cream may not be one of the most obvious names in rock as a band, but their guitarist (a certain Eric Clapton) is a household name.

I have to admit I probably wouldn’t include Poco if I was playing this game on a different forum, but as obvious peers of the Eagles I felt they were worth including, although I think The Byrds are more significant and if it came to a choice between including one or the other I would take The Byrds.

Rush is an absolutely excellent shout, another representative of progressive rock is welcome alongside Yes and Pink Floyd (Genesis is included for both the Gabriel and Collins eras). I’d be happy to include The Moody Blues as well.
    If I was doing this on a forum for a British band I’d have included Oasis for sure but I still I think I can justify including them – if you aren’t familiar with them I’d suggest just checking a couple of their mid-90s singles (Wonderwall or Don’t Look Back In Anger) out on Youtube – they give a pretty good taste of their style.

I’d not thought of Blondie, mainly because I have no interest in disco and I tend to think of Debbie Harry as a solo artist – I think I’ll give this one a miss partially to avoid confusion. I’m quite happy to include ELO though, I don’t know if they’re that popular in the US although Jeff Lynne did produce Joe’s Analog Man album.

A few others that I’d forgotten about but have since considered are Blue Oyster Cult, Chicago, Jethro Tull and Kansas. I think Chicago (unique by virtue of being the rock band with horns) in particular may be worth including.
    I must admit I would really like to be able to include Wishbone Ash who I am a big fan of but I fear they are simply not sufficiently well known. Maybe Thin Lizzy could be included for the twin-lead guitar spot?

One artist who I thought about but definitely did not want to include was Steely Dan – they are good enough and famous enough, but they just weren’t a band in any meaningful sense for most of their albums. I feel that they were playing a different game more akin to a solo artist’s approach (Donald Fagen and Walter Becker identified the best session players to realise the music exactly as it was in their heads, rather than working with a regular group of musicians).

I will end by saying don't worry if you're not overly familiar with all of the bands in the game, I think a lack of familiarity with one band's work is a perfectly fair reason to vote for the other band in a given tie. If you're not familiar with either or just don't care about the result of one tie you can skip it and still vote on other clashes.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 06-24-2015 at 07:41 AM.