Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

JCL, if you want to start with the Gabriel era, Selling England by the Pound is the best album, imo.
    What do ya'll think of Genesis's first album, From Genesis to Revelation? I like it, particularly the song" "When Sour Turns to Sweet". It's more poppy prog (like the stuff that they would do after Gabriel left).
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    JCL, if you want to start with the Gabriel era, Selling England by the Pound is the best album, imo.
    What do ya'll think of Genesis's first album, From Genesis to Revelation? I like it, particularly the song" "When Sour Turns to Sweet". It's more poppy prog (like the stuff that they would do after Gabriel left).
    I haven't heard it. As I have said I have been unfamiliar with the Gabriel era albums & have only now started a very slow process of getting to know some of these songs.

JCL for the Collins era Invisible Touch is the best known, but I Can't Dance & Genesis are less poppy & might be more to your taste. My husband would probably tell you to start with A Trick Of The Tail. Or do what I did & get R-Kive which is a triple disc compilation featuring music by all members as well as the band.

Banned

The first Genesis album isn't really a Genesis album. Phil's not on it and they made it before they discovered their identity.

The story is, they gave a demo of their music to Jonathan King, who had attended their posh school and had scored a big hit single (Everyone's Gone To The Moon). JK said he liked it, commenting that it sounded rather like the (60s) Bee Gees. JK agreed to produce an album, so the band,eager to please, started writing Bee Gees imitations to put on it. JK gave the band their name, Genesis but the title of the album, Genesis To Revelation, meant it was racked with the religious albums.

I listened, quite a lot, to the very early stuff included on the first Genesis Anthology Box set but I haven't revisited it in awhile.
    I tend to listen the Collins era more, even the later versions of the old favourites like Carpet Crawl, Firth Of Fifth and In The Cage. I love the Old Medleys that they perform on tour, but they don't go back as far as the "G to R" stuff.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for the recommendation - I went and listened to Selling England By The Pound last week and was hugely impressed. What have I been waiting for? It's gone straight onto my wishlist.

My favourite songs are probably the first three from the album, I really like the lyrics of the (sort of) title track Dancing with the Moonlight Knight and I absolutely love the instrumental sections on Firth Of Fifth. I love I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe). The lyrics about the lawnmower guy and his happiness at settling for mediocrity are funny and clever. I can't get the song out of my head either! I think this is because the chorus has the great earworm 'I know what I like and I like what I know' soon followed by the unusual and memorable line 'getting better in your wardrobe'.

I have to say I really like Peter Gabriel's voice, it just has a certain 'English eccentric' quality to it. I also like how he adopts several different voices on the Battle Of Epping Forest for the different characters.

Cheers
    JCL

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation - I went and listened to Selling England By The Pound last week and was hugely impressed. What have I been waiting for? It's gone straight onto my wishlist.

Cheers
    JCL
    Lol, that's the same reaction that I had over 2 years ago when I first listened to the album. Glad that you like it!
    -Kim-

As for From Genesis to Revelation,everytime I've seen it, it's always been listed as s Genesis album. Trepass (the second album) doesn't have Phil Collins on there either, is it not a Genesis album? In some ways, I consider this album to like Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Both feature very young musicians who are just starting out and learning their craft, but would later become world famous. From Genesis to Revelation is far from great, but I still enjoy it.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

I'm listening to Calling All Stations with the much maligned Ray Wilson. He sounds very similar to John Waite (Missing You). The song isn't bad at all; he just isn't Peter or Phil. But I didn't cringe through it as I thought I would!

Banned

I quite like the Calling All Stations album but Ray Wilson hasn't the stage presence of Gabriel or Collins. Not by a long way!

What do you think of R-Kive, Freypower?
    You gave me a lot of stick when I suggested that the Eagles should release such a collection.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I quite like the Calling All Stations album but Ray Wilson hasn't the stage presence of Gabriel or Collins. Not by a long way!

What do you think of R-Kive, Freypower?
    You gave me a lot of stick when I suggested that the Eagles should release such a collection.
    Yes, I did, didn't I? And I am still not sure that it would work. Although perhaps someone would like to suggest a track listing along the same lines; mainly band stuff with three solo tracks each. I suppose it could be done. I just don't see Frey & Henley agreeing to Felder being allowed three tracks on a complilation being authorised by them.

I absolutely love R-Kive because not only had I not heard the early Gabriel songs but I hadn't heard the solo efforts by Hackett & Banks (and to be honest I had only heard Silent Running by Rutherford). The choices each member had to include only three tracks each are interesting. I would not have included Easy Lover, for example. I would have included Take Me Home or I Wish It Would Rain Down.

Stuck on the Border

I hope UTW will forgive me for copying this to the Genesis thread because I wanted to say something about it.

Originally posted by UnderTheWire on 10/7/14:

That's a good point. I've been thinking along the same lines. What you see on television isn't usually what you get in real life, it may just be a PR skill, or lack of. Tony Banks appeared slightly stiff and serious but he didn't say anything bad about anyone. He did remind me of Glenn a little in that they're both a little awkward on camera and seem like they're trying to supervise the others. It's just easier to love Phil Collins/Joe Walsh.

Based on the documentaries (and this is not serious)

Tony Banks = Glenn Frey (control freaks)
    Peter Gabriel = Don Henley (it's the goatee)
    Phil Collins = Joe Walsh (fun but with their demons)
    Steve Hackett = Don Felder (former guitarist complaining about bias)
    Mike Rutherford = Timothy B Schmit (long-haired and aimiable)

(end of quote)

I pretty much agree with these comparisons. I would say that Mike is the hardest member to compare & he seems to be the hardest to pinpoint. With Steve I know he was upset with the documentary, but happy with R-Kive. Like Felder, he does what is basically a Genesis tribute show. Unlike Felder, he has released a few albums under his own name. Unlike Felder at least he was in the room with them for the documentary (all the Eagles were filmed separately, of course).

I hadn't watched the One Show interview until yesterday & I find myself developing a very soft spot for Tony indeed. I wonder why that is?! If you listen to them they really are a keyboards based band, unlike the guitar based Eagles, and that is Tony's department. Watching the excerpts from When In Rome where they are discussing how & what to play, it's Tony who seems to have the final say most of the time. I noticed that despite his image Phil can be quite acerbic & impatient.

The book, by the way, is superb. I found out a huge amount I didn't know. I have to buy the early albums now. I'm enjoying all this new found interest with a sort of bemused disbelief. I occasionally post about this on Facebook but obviously don't wish to make to big a deal about it here. For some reason though, similar to the reaction many had after seeing HOTE, seeing Together & Apart has triggered something similar for me. And yet... this thread was started back in 2011 & I was pretty enthusisastic then. So it's been a Slow Burn (spot the obscure Gabriel reference).
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-12-2015 at 06:49 PM.