Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Share the Music You Love

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Share the Music You Love

Some of the greatest songs ever written IMO:

Genesis: Mad Man Moon

- This is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I'm a sucker for Tony Banks's chords and melodies, but often his lyrics are...not so fascinating. But this song is perfect in every way. And the moment when it returns from the middle section to the main part (during the words "sun and sand. sun and sand") is one of the most beautiful movements in pop music ever. In the same league as the movement from the bridge to the last verse in New Kid In Town.

The Move: What?

- I'm sure Jeff Lynne doesn't care for his pre-ELO stuff, but this one is an undeniable masterpiece. The melody reminds me a bit of "I talk to the wind" by King Crimson, but I don't care. Years ago I played this to a friend, and he went "WHAT IS THIS??", like the truth behind everything in the universe was just knocking at his door. So I'm not the only one who's been enchanted by this. Only Jeff knows what some of the lyrics actually are, but I have my own theory about what is sung and what it means. (I'd LOVE to discuss this song with someone!)

Led Zeppelin: No Quarter

- I was in a band in my teens and the singer had this album. I fell in love with this song. We rehearsed at his home (his parents' house), and I remember during breaks from rehearsal I couldn't wait to go downstairs and listen to this song. Something about John Paul Jones's composition and keyboard sound plus Plant's lyrics and the weird effect in his vocals...

Moody Blues: Out And In

- I could pick a lot of Moody Blues tunes, but this is one of the not-so-well-known ones that get me every time. During the night when the stars are visible, go outside, lay down, watch the night sky and listen to this!

David Bowie: She'll Drive The Big Car

- A tragic story about a housewife who hates her life and finally drives the car to a river with her husband and kid in the car. Not that there's anything great about someone doing that, but the emotions of this woman come through in this song so well that you feel like you're in the car yourself. Especially when she keeps turning the car radio louder and louder to hide her agony.
    The lyric doesn't say that she finally drives the car to the Hudson river, but according to Bowie that's how he sees the story. I feel it that way too.

Procol Harum: A Salty Dog, Too Much Between Us, Whaling Stories....

Tony Powers: Odyssey

- Tony's version can be found on YouTube, but KISS recorded this too. I love Tony AND KISS. In some ways I prefer Tony's own version and in some ways KISS's version. In Tony's version I like the singing. This is an awfully beautiful song, but Tony's singing is not pretty. But his "ragged" singing makes the song even more beautiful...if that makes sense.
    On surface it seems like this song was written for someone special, but when Tony was asked about it, he said it was just about the idea of everything happening at the same time; the past and the future. Hence the chorus "Once upon, not yet. Long ago, some day". Magnificent chords!!!

Pink Floyd: The Final Cut

Roger Waters: Too Much Rope

- This is so moving, but I'm not sure why! Favorite part:

"What does it mean, this tearjerking scene, beamed into my home
    That it moves me so much; why all the fuss, it's only two humans being"
    Last edited by chaim; 05-04-2015 at 01:21 PM.

JCL-:I'm quite impressed that you appreciate the original version of All a Long the Watchtower which is one of my Dylan favorites as well

I'm passionate about Dylan and maybe I should list some of my favorites even knowing I haven't heard all of his albums.

So for starters: Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is probably my favorite album by anyone. I love how rough it is and how Dylan sounds old in a very deep way. He was 22 at the time which seriously impresses me. Also the lyrics are impossibly great for a young guy. Blowing in the Wind of course is a legend and in my top ten of Dylan's songs. His sad voice and the soft and grave melody touch me immensely as does a line like "how many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free". The whole spirit of the song is very moving and the idea of an answer blowing in the wind without anybody being able to catch it shows honest and mature insight that is rarely found. This being said I still prefer A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall. I just love Dylan's rhythm and tone in this one. His voice when he sings " and what have you seen my blue eyed son, what have you seen my darling young one" and the words totally catch me. I also enjoy the surreal story told in poetry a lot because it creates a slideshow of beautiful bizarre images in my head. Lines like "I met one man who was wounded in love, I met another man who was wounded in hatred" are both poetic and have great meaning to me. Also I simply like expression like "highway of diamonds" and "seven sad forests". These two are the best songs on the album in my opinion. Masters of War is another great song because it's stings hard with political criticism that is good commentary of the time during which it was written. I just enjoy Dylan singing his voice full of acid. "There is one thing I know, though I'm younger than you, even Jesus would never forgive what for you do." On the other hand Bob Dylan's Dream is a beautifully sad sad song with a lot of mature hindsight but no anger. Dylan dreams of youthful hope,dreams and faith in the world that he's lost along with some first friend he ever had. Then again, true to Dylan's contradictory style, there are songs like I Shall Be Free and Honey, Allow Me Just One More Chance that make you laugh out loud with their lyrics. He rambles about phone conversations with J.F.K to improve the society, making love to Elizabeth Taylor and catching dinosaurs among other things.

ok, this turned out to be a rather long post, stopping now but I'll be back with maybe Bringing It All Back Home

Ok here's my list

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    Montrose- Montrose
    Nazarath- Hair of the Dog
    Black Sabbath- Paranoid
    Ac-DC- Highway to Hell and Back In Black
    Led Zepplin-House of the Holy and Led Zepplin
    Head East-Flat as a Pancake
    Loggins and Messina- Sittin In
    Poco- Legend and Pickin Up The Pieces
    James Taylor - Fire And Rain
    Joni Mitchell-Court and Spark
    Patty Smyth- Warrior
    Pretenders-Learning to Crawl
    Bob Welch-French Kiss
    Rodney Crowell - But What Will The Neighbors Think
    John Denver- Poems Prayers and Promises
    JD Souther- You're Only Lonely
    Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
    All of Randy Meisner's Solo Albums
    All of the Eagles Albums

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Doobie Brothers

Sibling Rivalry is really awesome but sadly underrated.

Give it a listen.

I'll have to compile a list of my favorites later when I have time. I have an eclectic mix.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Believe it or not, I don't have an Ipod or an mp3 player. My smartphone is my "on the go" music player. ( Thank you Spotify!)

However here is a list of my favorite songs
    Most have an explanation of why I love them.

*note about the Eagles songs: HC is ranked highest because it'sthe one I've loved the longest. Outlaw Man is my overall favorite Eagles song.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

AG, do you play an instrument yourself?

If I was your ma, I'd be very proud I raised such a smart kid - I'd take all the credit for it too

Bluefeather, I didn't realize Bob Dylan was only 22* when he wrote "Blowin' In the Wind." Impressive, but kind of appalling too.

* Wikipedia says 21, which is even worse.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

If I was your ma, I'd be very proud I raised such a smart kid - I'd take all the credit for it too
    Unfortunately, I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy that affects my left side, so I can't play an instrument, at least not now, maybe in the future.
    Credit for my music tastes go to both of my parents(my mom moreso because my dad died when I was 11) and my uncle, who got me into hard rock/metal and Fleetwood Mac.

My uncle takes credit. My mom doesn't much.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

Bluefeather, I didn't realize Bob Dylan was only 22* when he wrote "Blowin' In the Wind." Impressive, but kind of appalling too.

* Wikipedia says 21, which is even worse.
    Why?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I was reading through this thread a while back and I noticed that on page 2 FP posted a list of her most played songs in her music library. Given my (probably fairly obvious by now) love of making lists I thought I do one for my own music collection.

Back when I first noticed this I was using my old music library and as most of my favourites had been added to my library over time the play counts were heavily biased towards the songs that had been on there longest, especially as when I first started I barely had 100 songs in my collection (more like 1000 now!). I have had my new computer for long enough now that for my play counts to be meaningful and therefore I will post my most played songs by my own favourite artists.

I will leave the Eagles out of this list although I can tell you that Take It Easy is the most played (7 plays), followed by no less than ten songs that have received 5 plays each. My most played Don Henley song is Boys Of Summer (5), while there is a three way tie for Joe between the opening three tracks from But Seriously Folks (3 each).

In this list, I have included the number of plays for each song in brackets.

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (5). What can I say? A masterpiece that changed rock music forever.

Deep Purple - Speed King/Black Night (5). Both strong songs, with the former being my slight preference of the two. However I have as yet been unable to add Machine Head to my music library and I suspect my personal favourite Highway Star would be my most played if it was in my collection.

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (7). A classic that just doesn't get old IMO. Still absolutely love that closing guitar solo. FWIW my most played Mark Knopfler solo song is Why Aye Man (5).

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (6). My favourite Mac song, from my favourite Mac album. I can't argue with this one really.

Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times/Immigrant Song/Tangerine (6). A three way tie here. Both of the first two are short bursts of classic Zeppelin and among my personal favourites. I'm slightly surprised Tangerine is up there with these two although I do love it.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (4). Slightly lower play count than for most of my other favourites, mainly because I only have the first two albums in my library. I definitely like them enough to justify including them as a favourite though. I was slightly surprised to see SHA on top of my list, I do like it a lot but I think there is more to them, and especially the Second Helping, than SHA alone.

Neil Young - Tell Me Why (7). I absolutely love this song. It's Neil at his best, a thoughtful and introspective tune with beautifully clean guitar lines. Days That Used To Be is the highest song of his with Crazy Horse (6 plays). I think it's a really good rock tune, although there are others that I'd have expected to be above it.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (8 ). Their finest song of conventional length (their only better songs IMO are their two seminal epics Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes) and one of the last classics that Roger Waters and David Gilmour produced together. The contrast between their vocals is brilliant. Like Hotel California, it is six and a half minutes in length but every second is memorable.

I also have David Gilmour's first self-titled solo album, where the instrumental Mihalis is the most played song, albeit standing alone with just 3 plays.

Wishbone Ash - Blowin' Free (7). I was surprised how far ahead this was of any of their other songs (the next highest had 4 plays) but it's definitely one of my favourites by them and comes from my favourite album of theirs (Argus).

I was slightly surprised to discover I hadn't played any songs by any of the other artists in my library more than 3 times each. There were actually only five other songs with this play count: Jessica (The Allman Brothers), Good Vibrations (The Beach Boys), Don't Panic (Coldplay), Layla (Derek & The Dominos) and Fire And Rain (James Taylor). I think since all my play counts were reset to zero I've been keen to listen to my new and old favourites so haven't felt much of a need to visit the corners of my music library, so to speak.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 07-08-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Forgot about Layla