Page 95 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles.... 3.0

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Oh OK, Guy meant they can drown out any punters who boo the slow songs. But then the punters will just start throwing things...

If the new Eagles should turn into a going concern, maybe Vince Gill would get restless and want to do his own songs, like Joe does. "When I Call Your Name" is a real good country weeper.

Banned

No! No!
    Guy means that the audience can actually enjoy a live set that isn't chock full of up tempo rock songs. The ultimate protest would be for the audience to stop buying tickets.

Glenn felt the Eagles needed Walsh songs to pep up their live show in the 70s. That was probably still the case until a few years ago.

I think the Eagles would be fine in future without Walsh especially if Vince Gill is as good as everybody says he is.

@F50: He's that good. He's played with Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton -- and Mark Knopfler approached him in the early 90s about joining Dire Straits.

Here, he's with the great Gregg Allman and Zac Brown for "Midnight Rider." Hang with it until the end, when he lights it up with a howling solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbnWr1-Qsc

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I'll add my 2 cents too!

Not happy with the way they are doing this at all. Calling themselves the Eagles after their founder has passed on is just not right, imo. They could have called themselves something else (Henley, Walsh, and Schmit formerly of the Eagles for instance). That tells me they are after the money because the Eagles brand means money!

I'm happy for Deacon and hope he does well. I think it's fine for him to do this for the two special shows. But tour? No.

I like Vince Gill, but am surprised he would want to tour with them.

What happened to Bernie? If they have to do it, why didn't they let him be there too? (Because Glenn told him it wasn't over!)

Very disappointed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    If so, they are pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable, we did our year of mourning and time to move on. Not happy if this is true. However, this is not Vince's fault.
    This is how I come up with the implication that some feel the band, and its members, should wither up and die. "Pretty much saying Glenn is replaceable," even though they have literally said that he is not. So either you trust Don Henley or you think he's a liar, and if you think he's a liar, why are you a fan of the Eagles?

And then we decry the fact that the members of the band are "moving on." I envy you for never having experienced loss, but that's pretty much what life is -- trying to push ahead in the wake of disappointment, hurt or tragedy. You're either moving forward or you're not. The Eagles have made the admirable -- yet obvious -- decision to move on. Because that's what people do.

The Eagles name is not sacred. Just like the Troubador Bar wasn't sacred, it's the people who were in it. This is a different group of people. It's possible that the magic cannot be recreated, and I am prepared for that. We'll see. Dismissal out of hand, however, I can't relate to. This feels like a "taking sides" moment, and I want to be on the side where the only possibility of continuing to enjoy my lifelong favorite band also resides.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    No! No!
    Guy means that the audience can actually enjoy a live set that isn't chock full of up tempo rock songs. The ultimate protest would be for the audience to stop buying tickets.

Glenn felt the Eagles needed Walsh songs to pep up their live show in the 70s. That was probably still the case until a few years ago.

I think the Eagles would be fine in future without Walsh especially if Vince Gill is as good as everybody says he is.
    I don't agree that the Eagles don't need Walsh. They need him now more than ever, IMHO. He adds quite a bit with his awesome guitar playing and antics on stage. Where would HC and LIFL be without him? Also, he's a crowd favorite and puts a lot of bottoms into seats. I'd be surprised if he didn't do some of this solo songs and can't figure out why anyone would think they don't need him.

I have to admit that I can't understand why the Eagles name is important over everything else. I understand why it's important, and I've said all along that I wish they wouldn't use the name, but I completely understand why they are doing it. Yes, it has to do with money, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are money-hungry. It's simple economics. If they use the Eagles name they make big money, if they don't use it, they're lucky to break even. I wouldn't be surprised if they think about it as "Eagles Family and Friends" but are calling it the Eagles because it's the only thing that makes any sense. Both Henley and Schmidt have said that their solo tours don't make a lot of money, so it's not a stretch to say that if they want to continue to do those tours, they need another funding source.

Also, it appears that the three remaining Eagles WANT to continue to tour together. I think it says something that Henley invited Walsh and Schmidt to participate in his birthday concert. He wants them there, celebrating with him. Then we have Deacon Frey, Glenn's son. He seems pretty happy about the situation, and so does his mother. Deacon refers to the 3 Eagles as "like his uncles". Don, Joe and Timothy referred to Glenn as their brother. If Glenn could look down and see this, don't you think he'd be as proud as punch to see his son up there with his old buddies and band mates?

They also add Vince Gill, who gives them a great boost with the guitar playing and harmonies, as well as possibly doing some of his own stuff. On top of that, he has connections to all or most of the Eagles, including Glenn.

It's hard to put yourself in others' shoes, but if it had been Don who passed away, and Will Henley was up there singing or even just playing the drums, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled. That would be a huge tribute to Don and a way to pass on his legacy. Would it be the same Eagles? No, it really wouldn't be the Eagles at all, but it could be something good, and I'd want to be there, supporting Will and the rest of the guys and seeing what happens. Don is a perfectionist; I can't imagine them going on stage with a less than stellar product.

I also agree with what Don says about not replacing Glenn. I think what he's saying is that it's a different product, a way to go on without Glenn. It's not going to sound the same, and that's okay. It's a way to fill the gap, but it's not getting someone to step in and do everything Glenn did - that would be impossible and it wouldn't honor his legacy.

I understood the issue with using the Eagles name in the beginning. I really did. In some ways I still understand it, but I can't see how rejecting Glenn's son and the rest of the Eagles would be honoring his legacy.

Turning one's back on Deacon is, to me, turning one's back on something Glenn would have loved.

Okay, I just had to get that out. I know we're talking about people's feelings here, and they are entitled to them. I don't have to understand them. What's that Henley line about agreeing to disagree? "It's a mystery to me we can't agree to disagree. It's lookin' like we never, ever will."

I do agree to disagree, and I do respect everyone else's feelings, but I just wanted to make mine known, since they have changed a little since the time when Glenn passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary
    It's hard to put yourself in others' shoes, but if it had been Don who passed away, and Will Henley was up there singing or even just playing the drums, I'm pretty sure I'd be thrilled. That would be a huge tribute to Don and a way to pass on his legacy. Would it be the same Eagles? No, it really wouldn't be the Eagles at all, but it could be something good, and I'd want to be there, supporting Will and the rest of the guys and seeing what happens. Don is a perfectionist; I can't imagine them going on stage with a less than stellar product.
    Does anyone here really think that, if Don had died, Glenn would have continued the Eagles with a new guy singing Hotel California?

And does Will Henley even sing and play drums? Mary, I know you were just being hypothetical, but it seems many assume sons are practically interchangeable with their dads. Don and Irving really lucked out with Deacon.

I'm sure it will be a great show. These are talented musicians playing fantastic music. It will not be the quality it once was, but it will never be that quality again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Does anyone here really think that, if Don had died, Glenn would have continued the Eagles with a new guy singing Hotel California?
    No. Glenn was already kinda alluding to a retirement tour and saying he plans the Eagles tours year by year and just seeing where the chips fall. If Henley had died, Glenn would have ended the Eagles. Solo tours and tours with the other guys, sure. But not "Eagles".

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

And does Will Henley even sing and play drums? Mary, I know you were just being hypothetical, but it seems many assume sons are practically interchangeable with their dads. These guys often choose a different path. Don and Irving just lucked out with Deacon.
    I don't know if Will sings, but I think he plays the drums because I remember Don saying in an interview that he hired someone to teach Will to play the drums. Unless I'm mixing something up, but I'm pretty sure I remember that.

I don't know that Glenn would hire someone to sing HC, but there are probably songs of Glenn's that won't be sung, either. And I think it's conceivable that Glenn would have wanted the Eagles to go on in some manner. He and Don have always seemed pretty like-minded about the business side of the band. (I'm not saying he definitely would have wanted that, I'm saying it's possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Well, I'll add my 2 cents too!

Not happy with the way they are doing this at all. Calling themselves the Eagles after their founder has passed on is just not right, imo. They could have called themselves something else (Henley, Walsh, and Schmit formerly of the Eagles for instance). That tells me they are after the money because the Eagles brand means money!

I'm happy for Deacon and hope he does well. I think it's fine for him to do this for the two special shows. But tour? No.

I like Vince Gill, but am surprised he would want to tour with them.

What happened to Bernie? If they have to do it, why didn't they let him be there too? (Because Glenn told him it wasn't over!)

Very disappointed. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    It is super disappointing. I don't fault Deacon - frankly Henley had several options to continue performing Eagles music including adding Deacon to the exisiting lineup and calling themselves another name. Vince Gill as an Eagle is like a Twilight Zone script.