Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite moments from Farewell Tour 1 DVD

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite moments from Farewell Tour 1 DVD

OK.... the first batch Troub posted are In Charge & therefore qualify as favourite moments. But most of mine are during songs.

I'm sure this is the performance of TIE in Melbourne which I saw because the wet hair was such a standout:

Being one of the very first people to hear NMCD was 'a big adventure for me personally' too. Bring it back. I still remember the emotions I went through that night in Melbourne (especially when they didn't play it in Sydney).

The late lamented NKIT, because it was there, before it disappeared.

I think people know this is my favourite shot from the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is such a lovely shot!

I miss New Kid In Town, too.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I just picked up The Farewell 1 DVD today and watched it this afternoon. I definitely like it better than HFO, and that's saying something because I love HFO. Some comments:

- It feels more relaxed. I guess that can be expected since HFO was filmed before they started touring again. The guys seem to be past the early jitters and are much more comfortable with each other.

- The presentation was better. More interviews, better production, more professional looking packaging. Could be because it was put out by ERC instead of Geffen and Glenn held the reins as Executive Producer.

- The alternate song titles in the interview section. Hilarious!

- And the best one, for me anyway - Glenn's setlist on the cover, complete with instrument notations! I kept comparing and squealing happily when the notation matched the guitar he was playing. I'm such a gear-geek.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I haven't watched Farewell I in quite a while. I used to play it all the time because my mom used to like to listen to it before her Alzheimer's progressed too far. I'll have to listen again soon. And Windeagle, I never even realized about the information on the guitars. I'm gonna have to check that out as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm a liner notes fanatic. I read things cover to cover. It's why I prefer buying CDs over downloading.

Anyway, as I was studying the setlist in the picture on the front flap, I noticed handwritten notes beside most of the songs. I didn't make the connection until I noticed the word "Rhodes" next to "I Can't Tell You Why.". "Hold on," I said, "Glenn plays the Rhodes on that song. I wonder..."

Sure enough, I broke the code.

OB = Old Black
    LP = Les Paul
    6 = Acoustic 6-string
    Tele Black = Black Telecaster
    Tele Sunburst = Sunburst Telecaster

There's enen a note about a delay pedal (on Sunset Grill, I think). I had such fun checking each song to see if it matched. I felt like such an insider. It would be even cooler if it was really Glenn's handwriting, but it's probably his guitar tech's.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! Windeagle - that is just freakin' cool. I'm very impressed because in the 6 years since this DVD was released, I don't recall anyone else having ever mentioned this before. And believe me, I've read a lot of comments about this DVD. I just checked out what you are referring to, and, by gosh, you are right on the money. Even if I had noticed the writing before, I don't know if I would have been able to 'crack the code' like you did. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. BTW - I'm not sure about the writing because it's very hard to see, but it could very well be Glenn's handwriting. I think he often has a tendancy to write in block script.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

I was intrigued by Windeagles discovery (and a bit perplexed 'cos I'd not noticed it)......so off I went in search of my copy to have a look - it's not there! must have been different versions for the UK & USA
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

That is sooo cool Windeagle! I had noticed the writing there before but I didn't think I could see it clearly enough to read it. The eyes aren't what they used to be. I probably wouldn't have known what it meant even if I could read what it said. Thanks!
    Last edited by GlennLover; 07-30-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Stuck on the Border

I've always known it was there & assumed others did too. I'm intrigued by 'Tele Sunburst' though because I though the Sunburst was a Gibson (which is referred to as 'LP'). The 'Tele Sunburst' is played on Boys of Summer. I know that guitar is a Telecaster but I didn't know it was called a Sunburst.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I've always known it was there & assumed others did too. I'm intrigued by 'Tele Sunburst' though because I though the Sunburst was a Gibson (which is referred to as 'LP'). The 'Tele Sunburst' is played on Boys of Summer. I know that guitar is a Telecaster but I didn't know it was called a Sunburst.
    FP, Sunburst can be referred to any guitar that has a "Sunburst" multicolor finish. Gibson Les Pauls are commonly sunburst, hence the association. Vintage Gibson Les Pauls (LPs) are referred to as Bursts. But sunburst is a general term. "Burst" however is mainly only referred to on Les Paul Standards.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."