Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qantas Arena, Sydney, AUS - 2 Mar. 2015

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Qantas Arena, Sydney, AUS - 2 Mar. 2015

A picture already!

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Qantas Arena, Sydney, AUS - 2 Mar. 2015

VK

Stuck on the Border

It was wonderful.

I'm so glad to hear it was wonderful...I've been up and thinking about you Julie since 4 AM ...lol

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Glad to hear from you JULIE. Hopefully it lived up to your expectations. I've been thinking of you all day. Looking forward to your own thoughts on it.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Can't wait to hear all about it, Julie!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

This will probably be somewhat sketchy. I was in the front row but right over on the far right so therefore it was hard to get any recognition & my view of Richard Davis was non-existent.

When Don came on from the left & Glenn from the right it was like they were sitting round a campfire with the lighting effects. I did find it somewhat disconcerting that they played with a backing track but Saturday Night was a great way to start, then Don introduced Bernie. What a moment to see this man for the first time! Train was great, the harmonies were superb. When Tim came on PEF sounded much more organic and raw than the recorded version, but when Joe came on for Witchy Woman - it was perfect! Who said this band couldn't make something different out of their songs?! It was really different & an excellent showcase for Don's drumming. I will say more about these performances when I have a better view of them.

The Desperado segment worked really well - seeing them all standing there singing those words was great. It washed over me a bit. It was great seeing Don play drums on Tequila Sunrise. These songs were followed by AG & BOML & then the OOTN songs, all three of which were excellent. I promise I will pay more attention to Bernie's playing on Wednesday but Glenn made AG his own, in terms of guitar work. He rocked it. This was gratifiying, it must be said. The video they showed of him driving across America was brilliant!

Just a couple of comments about what was said; someone yelled out 'where's the banjo Bernie' & Glenn said 'the one American'. That got a big laugh. Glenn also referred to Australia as 'our favourite penal colony'. Later after he was introduced & did the 'mother' joke he then tried the Ted Nugent line but that fell flat. Honestly I'm not sure anyone in this country knows who Ted Nugent is. 'That was funny' he said. Well I knew what he meant.

I wasn't sure why the HC & Long Run songs plus LWKUA were played in the order they appeared. Heartache Tonight is a showstopper & in my view should have been played after LBG, not TLR. However, much as I love this song I'm not sure about Glenn's belief that the new arrangement sounds like the Beach Boys. He said he told the band he wanted to do it like that & they agreed. 'That seems to happen a lot' he said. Quite. Those Shoes was great. Those talk boxes - wow! NKIT washed over me a bit as if I couldn't believe I was really hearing Glenn sing it again.

The 'guitar duel' before Funk #49 was a lot of fun. However I must give special mention to Rocky Mountain Way. It was lean & mean & stripped back. I have sometimes felt that this song can become bloated & overdone. Not last night.

You will have seen the photos. In the second half Glenn wore that pale blue shirt with the dark blue stripe. Don had another plaid shirt. Tim had a plaid shirt.Joe had a black T shirt with red lines.

They all sang really well - Don in particular. Glenn was his usual self. I must pay more attention. Because I was so far away I wasn't expecting to be seen, not even when Joe came right down the front on my side during RMW. Glenn did come over to this side but if he saw me I don't think he recognised me.

Steph, Will has nice shoulder length hair & stubble. I got a look from him during BOML.

It was a fantastic experience & I'll be more prepared on Wednesday!
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-02-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Stuck on the Border

For the SMH, this isn't bad. Far superior to the sneering disdain of the Age (Melbourne).

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...03-13t938.html

It amazes me that so few get the humor in how Joe joins them on stage!! He's the man who needs no introduction! It's perfect and it's amusing, and it's totally lost on so many. When they criticize the band when they're the ones who are clueless, I find it annoying.

FP, I'm so glad you enjoyed the show, but then, I knew you would!! You mentioned they played AG after TS, but surely they played DD/D Reprise? I'm anxious to know what you thought of it. If you're like me, it's just all too much to take in after only one show.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    It amazes me that so few get the humor in how Joe joins them on stage!! He's the man who needs no introduction! It's perfect and it's amusing, and it's totally lost on so many. When they criticize the band when they're the ones who are clueless, I find it annoying.

FP, I'm so glad you enjoyed the show, but then, I knew you would!! You mentioned they played AG after TS, but surely they played DD/D Reprise? I'm anxious to know what you thought of it. If you're like me, it's just all too much to take in after only one show.
    I enjoyed DD/Reprise & I will probably appreciate it more on Wednesday. However for this segment to work, in my view they should play Desperado itself. I have never liked it as the closing song & it would have made more sense at this point.