Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

I'm hopeful that Don Henley's recent praise of Randy means he has softened his attitude towards him.
    My perception is that none of the current Eagles or Glenn have had any lingering bad thoughts about Randy. It is good to see them step in and help (if that is true) when he is in need financially, but I can't imagine that he factored into their consciousness much at all over the past 38 years, good or bad. My point being, I don't think Don had any attitude towards Randy to soften. Same for Bernie. I don't think Don was mad at either of them. I think that the concept of including Bernie in the HoTE tour just worked out and they went with it, but not because Don was finally OK with him. And they would have included Randy if he was up to it. The only lingering bad feelings are towards Felder, for obvious reasons.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post
    Why do you assume that Timothy and Joe would have voted to let Bernie, Randy and Felder participate ?
    Agree. No basis for this whatsoever. My question is why WOULD they want those three to participate?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I'm hopeful that Don Henley's recent praise of Randy means he has softened his attitude towards him.
    Let us hope. I don't know if you've read the Marc Eliot book, but Henley and Azoff had pages of negative stuff to say about Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    My perception is that none of the current Eagles or Glenn have had any lingering bad thoughts about Randy. It is good to see them step in and help (if that is true) when he is in need financially, but I can't imagine that he factored into their consciousness much at all over the past 38 years, good or bad. My point being, I don't think Don had any attitude towards Randy to soften. Same for Bernie. I don't think Don was mad at either of them. I think that the concept of including Bernie in the HoTE tour just worked out and they went with it, but not because Don was finally OK with him. And they would have included Randy if he was up to it. The only lingering bad feelings are towards Felder, for obvious reasons.
    I am speaking strictly about Don H and Randy's relationship based on everything I have read and observed. I believe Glenn genuinely liked Randy even though they did have their differences at times. I have no reason to believe either one of them (Glenn or Don) had anything against Bernie. I also think they helped out Randy b/c they wanted to do something for their former band mate, not necessarily b/c of financial need (at least, I've seen no evidence of this). And this is just speculation on my part but I bet it was Glenn's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Agree. No basis for this whatsoever. My question is why WOULD they want those three to participate?
    B/c they're nice guys with different perspectives due to being replacements and knowing that others paved the way for them?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Let us hope. I don't know if you've read the Marc Eliot book, but Henley and Azoff had pages of negative stuff to say about Randy.
    And Randy had some negative things to say about Henley, too.

I've read both Henley and Bernie talk about having an email correspondence even before the HotE tour.

Banned

I think Tim, after graciously acknowledging Randy's input during The Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame Induction, may have thought of Randy as he watched Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Hotel California and Life In The Fast Lane being performed and felt a little relieved when Bob Seger started singing Heartache Tonight, no matter what the award was for.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I think Tim, after graciously acknowledging Randy's input during The Rock'N'Roll Hall Of Fame Induction, may have thought of Randy as he watched Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Hotel California and Life In The Fast Lane being performed and felt a little relieved when Bob Seger started singing Heartache Tonight, no matter what the award was for.

Both Walsh & Schmit were Eagles for far longer than Meisner & Leadon. I fail to see the relevance of Schmit only having played on Heartache Tonight. He played the rest of the songs live, for years, and yet you seem to imply that after all that he wasn't a 'real' Eagle because he wasn't on the previous records.

This event WAS NOT the Hall of Fame. It had nothing to do with acknowledging musical participation. It was a cultural award. They acknowledged the people who, like it or not, have been in the Eagles since the 1990s, as opposed to people who left 40 years ago, or in the other case was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post

1) Why do you assume that Timothy and Joe would have voted to let Bernie, Randy and Felder participate ?

2) You seem to take it for granted that all 5 of them are the best of friends and that Don Henley is the big bad bully who won't let them be?!?!

They are big boys now and are well able to decide who they want honoured - obviously the final decision was made by the KCH and not Don Henley.

3) This has been explained numerous times in this thread, if you would only take the time to read it instead of forcing everyone to read a thread you started 3 years ago that has no relevance to this thread.

4) Henley has no issues with Randy or Bernie. If he had issues with Randy, why would he, along with Glenn and the rest of the Eagles, pay his medical bills the last few years ??
    1) As others have pointed out, whether it be the HOF or interviews, Tim was gracious and humble toward the former members, especially Randy. Is there really any doubt Tim would view life and the past strife differently than Henley?
    He is a gentle soul, akin to Randy, and certainly not brooding and vindictive.

2) They were friends to be sure, and associated with each other much more so than Henley. This is evident in the various books.

As to the KCH making the final decision, I've read just the opposite in that Henley was asked whom should be honored, and they went with that. But lets not play pretend, as with Azoff being beyond a doubt a homer/puppet of Henley.
    What Henley decided is what was going to happen, period.

3) I have read a decent amount of it.

That said, I am not forcing anyone to read my thread (which still has relevance today, despite many Frey/Henley fans not liking my observations). We are all adults, so people can choose to read or post in my thread if they like. Just as they can choose to ignore it.

4) The two things you mentioned are not mutually exclusive. According to a couple of the books (especially Eliots which gave Meisner a voice), the two didn't care for each other. Meisner also felt he was purposely undermined by Azoff via orders from Henley.

As to paying bills, we do not know who was responsible for that, but if I had to guess, it was more from Frey.
    Regardless, it could very well have been guilt or charity considering how they are mega millionaires and Meisner didn't stand up for himself by practically giving up his shares for pennies.
    To paraphrase Walsh, Meisner was akin to a beta, not an alpha like he was surrounded with.
    `

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    ....You can tell he is still bitter toward Meisner & Felder to this day. Somehow he got beyond his issues with Leadon, which is at least something positive.
    How can we tell that he is still bitter toward Meisner to this day? Marc Eliot's book, which you mentioned, came out in 1998, and Randy was probably feeling very emotional (disappointed) at the time, because the reunion thing was still fresh. When you're angry, you don't always think things through when you say them. I have the book, and if I remember correctly most of Randy's comments are based on his personal feelings at the time rather than G & D actually treating him badly. For example, according to Randy Glenn was friendly on the phone and agreed that they should get together at some point. But Glenn never called. This doesn't mean that Glenn and Don had issues with Randy. It just means that Glenn never actually picked up the phone and called Randy. When people say things like "Yeah, we should get together at some point for old times' sake", do they always give a call and actually do it? Having said that, you did say "Randy felt...".

And the relationship between Don H and Bernie has been ok for decades as far as I know. That became clear to me when Bernie had the official forum on his website. Don had even apologized for his I Wish You Peace/Patti Davis comments that fans, including me, were still raving about in the forum. Called it a "non-issue".
    Last edited by chaim; 01-07-2017 at 05:38 AM.