Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

I think we are all missing the point here....KCH are honoring the "current" Eagles.....all 4 of them...nothing to do with the past...many other "musicians" have been honored and did not include people they might have played or worked with in the the past...I know it's different for the the Eagles, but you must remember that those 4 band members went on as the "Eagles"...they recorded an album and toured for many years....just the four of them...and I believe they deserve this honour!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The KCH Facebook page posted this.

Oh, I love that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Well, the last 4 toured for 15 years. 2000-2015. The other groupings, which included Bernie, Randy, and Don Felder toured over the course of 14 years, 1972-1980, 1994-2000.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

They certainly deserve the honor, no question. But the KC is honoring the impact the band's music had on the culture, their legacy. It doesn't make sense to not include all the band members. Fans arguing about it isn't going to change it, but it's unfortunate.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

You have to look back at how the Kennedy Center has honored bands in the past. They have only honored who were considered the "current" members and did the same with The Who and Led Zeppelin. As far as I can tell from the Honorees list on Wikipedia the Eagles are only the 3rd band to receive it as everyone else in the music field were solo musicians. So as of 2015 when they were first named it was only those four and the Kennedy Center is going by that. The others will be mentioned in the video detailing the band's history.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    I think we are all missing the point here....KCH are honoring the "current" Eagles.....all 4 of them...nothing to do with the past...many other "musicians" have been honored and did not include people they might have played or worked with in the the past...I know it's different for the the Eagles, but you must remember that those 4 band members went on as the "Eagles"...they recorded an album and toured for many years....just the four of them...and I believe they deserve this honour!!
    Hear, hear! The Kennedy Center made theirchoice, using their criteria. I think that they would have enough integrity not to be swayed by the opinions of band members and their management or the general public, ie Eagles' fans.

Their choice has been made so there is no use opining about who should be included in the honour. It won't change their selection.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Well, the last 4 toured for 15 years. 2000-2015. The other groupings, which included Bernie, Randy, and Don Felder toured over the course of 14 years, 1972-1980, 1994-2000.
    If we're breaking it up like this, its actually:

Glenn - 29 years
    Don - 29 years
    Joe - 26 years
    Timothy - 24 years

Felder - 12 years
    Randy - 5 years
    Bernie - 4 years + special guest on HoTE

Banned

Just to add a little balance. Recording wise;

1 Don Henley
    2 Glenn Frey
    3 Randy Meisner
    4 Bernie Leadon
    5 Joe Walsh
    6 Don Felder
    7 Timothy B Schmit

Walsh would probably rank above Leadon if you included live albums. Schmit could rank above Felder if you give him enough extra points for having 3 lead vocals compared to Felder's 1.

I'm uncomfortable rating the individual Eagles against each other. Everything is a group effort.

As GlennLover says, you have to trust the integrity of The Kennedy Centre. It's their award and their reputation to uphold.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

But didn't someone post a link to a recent interview with a KC spokeswoman who said the Center had no set criteria and are very accommodating to what the artist wants?

I understand that the Eagles are in a difficult position in that they don't want to include Felder but if they would open the honor to the founding members only, that would exclude Tim and Joe, which no one wants. They're in a bit of a bind. One can understand the "current members" restriction but it still seems weird considering how vital Bernie and Randy, and even Felder, were to the band's legacy.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

So here's a question for thought for us: If the Eagles had never reunited in 1994 and we only had up to The Long Run, would the Kennedy Center be honoring them? On one hand, I think yes, based on album sales and the ubiquity and popularity of their music. On the other hand, HFO and HoTE, especially the documentary, really kept them relevant and in the public consciousness...thoughts?