View Poll Results: Poll: Which of these four Eagles rarities (and one potential change) should be added?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Day in Hell

1 10.00%
  • King of Hollywood

4 40.00%
  • Outlaw Man

4 40.00%
  • The Sad Cafe

1 10.00%
  • Walk Away (replacing Funk #49)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

Out on the Border

Default Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

Narrowing it down on my compilation, which of these four Eagles rarities (and one possible change) do you feel should be on my compilation? (You can vote for multiple songs)

BTW...listening to Waiting in the Weeds for the first time on Eagles Sirius XM radio right now...I now agree it is a must-add, and a song that I agree holds up very well today. I hope they put it in their last tour, when it would be as fitting as ever. I feel it could make a great closer for the last disc once I reorder the tracks, as FreyFan suggested. That song will be added, as well as Midnight Flyer, The Last Resort, and Smuggler's Blues.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

I think you already have Outlaw Man, which makes King Of Hollywood an easy choice. I love all the guitar work, not just the solos. The subject matter is still topical.

Out on the Border

Default Re: Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think you already have Outlaw Man
    Crap...how could I forget that...now I'm forgetting songs I added on my OWN compilation, lol

King of Hollywood is looking to be an obscure classic that has some fans, and could very well be the final addition. However, there seems to be quite a few people outside of this board who love The Sad Cafe...my father, when I was visiting him out of town last week, even asked me about that song a week or so ago when I had the Eagles playing on Spotify...

Stuck on the Border

I like The Sad Cafe but not as much a King of Hollywood. Perhaps you could add both.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I like The Sad Cafe but not as much a King of Hollywood. Perhaps you could add both.
    Upon rereading, looks like I unintentionally worded it like I was only going to add one or the other. What I meant is that I was likely going to add both, just that Sad Cafe was ahead of King of Hollywood in the votes...that's what insomnia can do to your thinking, lol...

I am also considering replacing Funky New Year with either Good Day in Hell (if it finishes last in the votes) or possibly Chug All Night, All Night Long with Help Me Through the Night, and The Girl from Yesterday with I Don't Want to Hear Anymore.

Stuck on the Border

I love King Of Hollywood musically, including the vocals from Don and Glenn. But lyrically I don't care for it anymore. When a musician takes a person from another profession (obvious target: the movie world) and bashes him, I find it pretty lame since musicians aren't above treating other people badly when they feel they have "made it" and therefore are entitled to a higher status in the society. The guy in the song is talking to a woman in a condescending way, but were they above that kind of behavior themselves - at least when it came to groupies? I get the same feeling when I hear "Filmstar" by Suede (a band I love). It could as easily be called "Rockstar".

I guess I'd vote for KOH nevertheless, although GDIH is very important in the Eagles history, because it was the first song Don Felder played on (with fire).

EDIT:

I know that the subject matter in KOH is not the same as a rock musician and groupies, but when it comes to feeling you're above someone and treating them accordingly, they are similar. KOH's subject matter does seem relevant at the moment, but there seem to be more recent stories about musicians treating women badly. But I guess there aren't many rock musicians who would write a song about rock musicians being *******s to women - except when they brag about it in a humorous way.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-26-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I love King Of Hollywood musically, including the vocals from Don and Glenn. But lyrically I don't care for it anymore. When a musician takes a person from another profession (obvious target: the movie world) and bashes him, I find it pretty lame since musicians aren't above treating other people badly when they feel they have "made it" and therefore are entitled to a higher status in the society. The guy in the song is talking to a woman in a condescending way, but were they above that kind of behavior themselves - at least when it came to groupies? I get the same feeling when I hear "Filmstar" by Suede (a band I love). It could as easily be called "Rockstar".

I guess I'd vote for KOH nevertheless, although GDIH is very important in the Eagles history, because it was the first song Don Felder played on (with fire).

EDIT:

I know that the subject matter in KOH is not the same as a rock musician and groupies, but when it comes to feeling you're above someone and treating them accordingly, they are similar. KOH's subject matter does seem relevant at the moment, but there seem to be more recent stories about musicians treating women badly. But I guess there aren't many rock musicians who would write a song about rock musicians being *******s to women - except when they brag about it in a humorous way.
    Very interesting take, Chaim...while I haven't listened to KOH's lyrics close enough just yet to see in-depth what you mean, I am beginning to think it might be a good song to leave off consideration for adding, since by now, it would be the kind of song, in light of recent stories about musicians treating women badly, that would be looked at as one that would cast the Eagles in a bad light to perceptive ones like you and I. It would sound to me like Good Day in Hell might be a better choice to add from, as you said, a historical standpoint, but isn't Felder at bad terms with the band at this time, or am I conflating him with other former members?

Stuck on the Border

I don't think the KOH lyrics are problematic. I just don't care for that kind of finger-pointing. Basically the song is about an ****** producer talking to an actress. I think Randy Newman would do that kind of lyric better. Less venom and hate. Less "I'm above that".

EDIT:

Felder and Henley aren't speaking, but Henley wouldn't deny Felder's musical accomplishments in the band.

Out on the Border

I wasn't particularly referring to the lyrics themselves...I was referring to myself looking deep into the lyrics to see what you got out of it. However, I agree with you on your basic opinion of the song. And it's not just groupies...it's also fans that can get treated like second-class citizens by some rock and movie stars, even when approaching them in a respectable manner.

EDIT: I will add Good Day in Hell...here are the changes I am looking at now:

Add: Midnight Flyer, The Sad Cafe, and Waiting in the Weeds to make 57 tracks, 19 on each of the three discs.
    Plus, The Last Resort will replace The Girl from Yesterday, Good Day in Hell will replace Funky New Year, Walk Away will replace Funk #49, and Smuggler's Blues will replace All Night Long.
    Last edited by LouisianaEaglesFan; 11-26-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Out on the Border

Here's a track list I am looking at, upon rearranging:

Disc 1:
    01 – Take It Easy 02 - Outlaw Man 03 - Doolin-Dalton 04 - Train Leaves Here This Morning 05 - Peaceful, Easy Feeling 06 - One of These Nights 07 - Ol’ 55 08 - Midnight Flyer 09 - Already Gone 10 - James Dean 11 - Walk Away 12 - Witchy Woman 13 - Best of My Love 14 – Saturday Night 15 - Tequila Sunrise 16 – Rocky Mountain Way 17 - Desperado

Disc 2:
    01 – Hotel California 02 – Victim of Love 03 – New Kid in Town 04 – Wasted Time 05 - Please Come Home for Christmas 06 – Pretty Maids All in a Row 07 - In the City 08 – Take It to the Limit 09 - Lyin’ Eyes 10 – Too Many Hands 11 - I Can’t Tell You Why 12 – Good Day in Hell 13 - Heartache Tonight 14 - The Long Run 15 - Life’s Been Good 16 - Life in the Fast Lane 17 – The Last Resort

Disc 3:
    01 – How Long 02 - Boys of Summer 03 - No More Cloudy Days 04 - Love Will Keep Us Alive 05 - Long Road Out of Eden 06 – Hole in the World 07 – Seven Bridges Road 08 – The Sad Café 09 - The Heart of the Matter 10 – You Belong to the City 11 – Sunset Grill 12 – Those Shoes 13 – Smuggler’s Blues 14 – Get Over It 15 – All She Wants to Do Is Dance 16 - Dirty Laundry 17 - Waiting in the Weeds