Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Strange Weather"

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP - We'll have to see how it goes, but most likely we will. It'll probably be a while though because there are others to be done first.
    I'm not bothered, but if this was the next anniversary, isn't it next on the list? What criteria are you using?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

No - Strange Weather just had an anniversary in June.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    No - Strange Weather just had an anniversary in June.
    So it did; I should have looked further back in the thread.

We may not be doing it officially now, but I think it's pretty safe to say Part of Me, Part of You has a good chance of winning!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - That guess is really showing your wild side, Soda. You are quite the little risk-taker, aren't you!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Glenn's album "Strange Weather" was released 20 years ago today!

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Wow. Seems like it was just a few years ago. Thanks for the reminder, WC!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

My (now) second favorite Glenn solo album!

Stuck on the Border

So here's our chance to rate this album. Oh dear. I can do the first song but.... I've never done this before. If I rate the instrumentals last, it is no disrespect to them, I must emphasise that.

1. Part Of Me, Part Of You
    2. A Walk In The Dark
    3. River Of Dreams
    4. Strange Weather
    5. He Took Advantage (Blues For Ronald Reagan)
    6. Before The Ship Goes Down
    7. Long Hot Summer
    8. Love In the 21st Century
    9. Brave New World
    10. I've Got Mine
    11. Delicious
    12. Big Life
    13. Rising Sun
    14. Agua Tranquillo
    15. Silent Spring

Despite this, I love every second of it.

I've been waiting for this one to come around. It holds a special place with me because it was the first of many musical acquisitions I made based on recommendations from fellow Borderers.

I thoroughly enjoy Strange Weather and it holds a permanent place in my car stereo. Here's my ranked list and a few more comments after a year of happy listening:

1. Part Of Me, Part Of You - What can you say? This is classic. Great marriage of music, lyrics and message.

2. Long Hot Summer - It's bluesy and hot. "You can feel the temperature rise". Darn right you can! That talkbox guitar really does bring the heat right up from the sidewalk. The best part is I feel like an insider. I work for a non-profit that addresses global warming issues. This song came out 7 years before my organization was even around and is dedicated to Bill McKibben, a pioneer in the field.

3. He Took Advantage - I've said it before. Glenn can play the blues as well as anyone out there. The guitar in this song kills me every time. It's raw and scathing! In my dream world, Glenn's next project would be to do with the blues what he did with classic love songs on After Hours. I doubt he ever would, but man, I'd be all over that project.

4. Strange Weather - I love listening to this album in the context of where Glenn was in his life when he wrote it. Newly married, first-time parent and survivor of some major health issues. Strange weather indeed. The fact that it was dedicated to his parents and some other couple (Cindy's or Jack's parents, perhaps?) makes me wonder if he was looking at some argument with Cindy and thinking, hey, our folks got through worse than this. Somehow we'll survive too. As a partner in a long-time marriage myself, I find the commitment expressed in this song incredibly inspiring.

5. Before the Ship Goes Down - More blues. I like it. Again, I often consider this song in the context of Glenn's life at the time.

6. Brave New World - Makes me want to go read Stephen King. I love the Springsteen-esque growls at the end. Don't you just love a guy who can both growl like that and sing tenderly too?

7. River of Dreams - The instrumental intro blows me away. I see a winter's night, the camera panning from a wide outdoor shot, snowy mountains in the background, to a warm window, a fire in the fireplace, glasses of wine on the coffee table, and the couple cuddling on the couch. How can he possibly paint such a picture in a few bars of music? This is why I love Glenn's instrumentals. He can DO that! Anyway, the rest of the song is pretty too. I love the music mostly. The lyrics are nice but the phrasing sometimes sounds a little rushed to me - too many syllables in too little time. I know some people like that, but it's never quite clicked with me.

8. A Walk in the Dark - My, this is a steamy song. I love the moodiness of it, and his imagery is gorgeous.

9. Silent Spring - Another beautiful instrumental. Sigh!

10. I've Got Mine - Glenn took a lot of heat for this song, but I don't get it. It's not like he was born with money. He worked his butt off to get what he has and I'm sure he remembers being on the other side. He gives back but because he's quiet about it, he gets knocked for commenting on it in a song. Leave the guy alone! It's a great song, and perhaps even more relevant today than it was when it was written.

11. Love In the 21st Century - Love the music, but the lyrics make me a little squeamish. There's some pretty hot guitar in this one. Go Glenn!

12. Rising Sun - Also a pretty instrumental. I can see the sun rising on the canyon walls.

13. Delicious - I've mentioned in a previous comment that, based on the dedication, I'll bet his inspiration for this song was a playful toddler Taylor sticking her popsicle-coated fingers in her daddy's mouth. It's clever and VERY mischievous how he took that theme and added enough innuendo to make people go "Oh!" If you think about it, he doesn't actually say anything off-color. He just makes you think he did. I'm not a fan of the falsetto, but maybe he used it to keep the song tongue-in-cheek. More great guitar in this song keeps it tolerable for me.

14. Agua Tranquillo - My least favorite of the instrumentals. It's ok, but not stellar.

15. Big Life - I'm not a big fan of this one. I get the humor and it's fun to see him poking at his former lifestyle, but the joke kind of gets old by the end and the music doesn't save this one.

Ok, that's a little long-winded, but like I said, I've had a year to think about it!