Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of The Confessor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Celebration of The Confessor

Joe's album The Confessor was released 27 years ago today

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Default Re: Celebration of The Confessor

The Confessor is a good album; the only song I dislike is "I Broke My Leg." It's just too freaking stupid (IMHO).

"Problems" is the kind of song I usually don't like - kind of silly and rambling - but for some reason this song has stuck with me to the degree that if I'm having a lot of problems coming down on me, Joe singing "Hey now, do you have a problem?" ... "Still got 'em...problems" will pop into my head!

"Bubbles" doesn't have the greatest melody, but the "bubble" metaphors are clever and I do like the way he sings "the world goes down the drain."

"Slow Dancing" - one of Joe's sexiest songs.

"15 Years" - so simple, but so catchy!

"The Confessor" - The complexity of this song is in stark contrast to the rest of the album. I love the lyrics and the song's construction. The only thing I don't like is the "spooky" way he sings the title. It's a bit melodramatic. If you haven't seen the trippy video before, I suggest you watch it.

"Rosewood Bitters" - I really like this one, especially the heartfelt chorus. Joe didn't write it, but he sings it with such sincerity you'd think he did.

"Good Man Down" - I like this one, especially the chorus.

"Dear John" - this feels "confessional" - pardon the pun - and Joe shows a lot of vulnerability, although the use of the synth is uninspired. I always found it interesting that this song, the last on the album, ends with these ominous lines:
    Dear John
    I just gotta get back to my music
    And all the things that go along with the job
    Oh, and lyin' in bed with the room spinnin' 'round
    It's the price that you pay when you're on the way down
    It's the price that you pay
    Sincerely yours

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wink Re: Celebration of The Confessor

The Confessor was the first Joe Walsh solo album that I ever bought and I'm going to date myself and say that I bought it on cassette and when that wore out, I got it on CD.

I loved the single of The Confessor when it first hit the airwaves and I still love it. I like the way that the song sounds when it begins and love it all the way through. I even like the video although, the chick in it is kinda hokey but it was the 80's what can I say? LOL!

Rosewood Bitters is also another song that I liked from the first listen and is in my top 10 Joe songs of all time.

I also love-

Slow Dancing-rowr! Joe can be very sexy when he puts his mind to it.
    Good Man Down-love how Joe kicks ass on this one and the lyrics are great too
    Problems-catchy with a reggae-flavor to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The Confessor is a good album; the only song I dislike is "I Broke My Leg." It's just too freaking stupid (IMHO).

"Problems" is the kind of song I usually don't like - kind of silly and rambling - but for some reason this song has stuck with me to the degree that if I'm having a lot of problems coming down on me, Joe singing "Hey now, do you have a problem?" ... "Still got 'em...problems" will pop into my head!

"Bubbles" doesn't have the greatest melody, but the "bubble" metaphors are clever and I do like the way he sings "the world goes down the drain."

"Slow Dancing" - one of Joe's sexiest songs.

"15 Years" - so simple, but so catchy!

"The Confessor" - The complexity of this song is in stark contrast to the rest of the album. I love the lyrics and the song's construction. The only thing I don't like is the "spooky" way he sings the title. It's a bit melodramatic. If you haven't seen the trippy video before, I suggest you watch it.

"Rosewood Bitters" - I really like this one, especially the heartfelt chorus. Joe didn't write it, but he sings it with such sincerity you'd think he did.

"Good Man Down" - I like this one, especially the chorus.

"Dear John" - this feels "confessional" - pardon the pun - and Joe shows a lot of vulnerability, although the use of the synth is uninspired. I always found it interesting that this song, the last on the album, ends with these ominous lines:
    Dear John
    I just gotta get back to my music
    And all the things that go along with the job
    Oh, and lyin' in bed with the room spinnin' 'round
    It's the price that you pay when you're on the way down
    It's the price that you pay
    Sincerely yours
    Hmm... I'm seeing a trip to my favorite used record store in the very near future.

One of my favorites of JW's solo efforts. 9 songs, 36 minutes of mostly damn good stuff.

Problems: contains one of my favorite Joecasms "fictional friction" I use that from time to time when dealing w/drama queen/kings. Clever lyrics, with a kinduva rastafarian slant on dealing with the daily load of crap.

IBML: Letting us know about a moment of his life. Lyrics are nonsensical, but some good runs and effects that I enjoy hearing. Not a fav, but ok.

Bubbles: This album's gentle rant that we're cutting off our noses. An understated warning about screwing up... He's still worried about us today.

Slow Dancin: I agree, this is sexy Joe....gives me a shivah......if I smiled at you, would you walk my way? Heh heh, YEAH! just u n me....some nice intense, well placed geetar runs and a nice jam at the end. Classic Joe, understated but intense, just right.

15 Years: Love this one, and I always turn his geetar up as he requests. Simple lyrics, but hearfelt.

Confessor: One of my fav Joe songs. Love every second, lyric, lick, effect of this song. Total 7 minutes of pure pleasure for me. And when I hear it, I can hear Joe telling me as he signed my poster "over his big ole nose" that he was proud of this song, it was one of his favorites as well. Especially love the jam at the end and his plantive, emotional delivery of the lyrics GIVE IT UP!!

Rosewood Bitters: Lively, lovely cover of Stanley's tune. Very nice low key Joe.

GMD: Love, love this rocker. Joe and the Wad had a good time doing this, I bet.
    Use every little trick you've found indeed...

Dear John: I've wondered if this is to the wife he divorced for Stevie? Pretty open expression of where he was at at the time. Sad and relatable, we've all been thru it.

27 years?!? are you sure?? good gawd...that's the year I graduated from college.....lordy lordy time flies.....

Since I am unabashedly committed to Joe n his music, I have no cares if I'm objective or not. I love it, it makes me happy, it carries my thru the good, bad, thick, thin and that's all that matters to me.
    Last edited by jdubfan; 05-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

One of my favorites of JW's solo efforts. 9 songs, 36 minutes of mostly damn good stuff.

Problems: contains one of my favorite Joecasms "fictional friction" I use that from time to time when dealing w/drama queen/kings. Clever lyrics, with a kinduva rastafarian slant on dealing with the daily load of crap.

Bubbles: This album's gentle rant that we're cutting off our noses. An understated warning about screwing up... He's still worried about us.

Slow Dancin: I agree, this is sexy Joe....gives me a shivah......if I smiled at you, would you walk my way? Heh heh, need you ask?!? just u n me....some nice intense, well placed geetar runs and a nice jam at the end. Classic Joe, understated but intense, just right.

15 Years: Love this one, and I always turn his geetar up as he requests. Simple lyrics, but hearfelt.

Confessor: One of my fav Joe songs. Love every second, lyric, lick, effect of this song. Total 7 minutes of pure pleasure for me. And when I hear it, I can hear Joe telling me as he signed my poster "over his big ole nose" that he was proud of this song, it was one of his favorites as well. Especially love the jam at the end and his plantive, emotional delivery of the lyrics GIVE IT UP!!

Rosewood Bitters: Lively, lovely cover of Stanley's tune. Very nice low key Joe.

GMD: Love, love this rocker. Joe and the Wad had a good time doing this, I bet.
    Use every little trick you've found indeed...

Dear John: I've wondered if this is to the wife he divorced for Stevie? Pretty open expression of where he was at at the time. Sad and relatable, we've all been thru it.

27 years?!? are you sure?? good gawd...1985, that's the year I graduated from college.....lordy lordy time flies.....

Since I am unabashedly committed to Joe n his music, I have no cares if I'm objective or not. I love it, it makes me happy, it carries my thru the good, bad, thick, thin and that's all that matters to me.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border

There are a lot of good tracks here, particularly the title track & Rosewood Bitters. I like Bubbles & Slow Dancing too.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Happy Belated Anniversary to the Confessor!!!

I was going to listen to the CD today to refresh my memory so I could comment on all of the songs, but I can't find it. I had forgotten that it was missing. I remember that I misplaced it quite a while ago, and I still haven't found it. I have no idea where it is, but I'd bet good money that one of these days, when least expected, it'll show up again.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 30th Birthday to The Confessor.

I love the self title single.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 05-04-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Happy 30th Birthday to The Confessor.

I love the self title single.
    Thanks for clocking it up shunlvswx

Besides being a huge Walsh fan, I was also a Stevie Nicks fan, loving her first two albums. At the time, I was totally unaware that they had hooked up.

I was disappointed with both the resultant albums. The Confessor and Stevie's Rock A Little.

I tried so hard to like The Confessor but I felt the album was missing some Walsh essentials, ie. great production, likeable songs, real drums and a bit of instrumental interplay ie Bill Szymzyck and Joe Vitale.

Rock A Little has grown on me. The Confessor is still, and I hope will always be, my least favourite Joe Walsh album.