Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The ILTWAWD reference is in Chapter 18 where he's describing their attempts to record in 1999. Sorry, I don't have page numbers.

Sorry, i'm going OT and I'm feeling bad about it. The Don in the recent video interview is a lot more likeable than the one in the book. I guess he's just happier and more fulfilled.
    Page 293. Gripe, gripe, snipe, snipe.

It was Glenn who vetoed the reunion at that time, not Don Henley. Not that facts ever mattered to Felder.

I will stop now as well. What's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I, on the other hand, tend to get too angry when I see/hear Don F talking only about his own contributions in interviews. It's not Don's fault after all that interviewers never discuss guitar stuff with Glenn!
    I disagree, of course.

I feel that it is a bit unfair to Felder... They are interviewed to talk mostly about themselves.

Back on topic, I loved the Sweetwater video. Very informative for a guitarist like myself.

Stuck on the Border

I will say one more thing. You can talk about yourself without completely distorting or minimising or ignoring the work of other people you worked with who contributed just as much if not more than you did.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    This is a good, new interview with Don Felder and worth watching even if you're not a big fan of his. The questions are good and even when they get to the book (about 20 minutes in), there's no trashing. He's asked about changes in key on choruses, how the vocal harmonies are stacked and lots on guitars and other equipment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWtyIQGeye8
    That’s an interesting and informative interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    People who keep hoping in their wildest dreams for a reconcilation should consider that Don Felder will never acknowledge that Glenn Frey has even a modicum of talent. You say you wish he'd talk about Glenn's guiitar work; it's the singing he utterly refuses to even mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    As a Glenn fan I suppose it doesn't really bother me at this stage that his guitar playing is ignored; I'm so used to that now that I shrug it off. As I said, it is when his singing is ignored or never mentioned that I get annoyed, and Felder, who these days happily sings songs like PEF & TIE on which he didn't even play, does not refer to Glenn's vocal abliities ONCE in his book. Even in HOTE he had to get in the crack during the VOL segment about how Henley was a better singer than everyone else in the band (and yes, I am well aware that this statement does seem to reflect many opinons, if not mine).
    Do the other Eagles ever praise Glenn’s singing? As far as I know, Don Henley never does. Timothy never does either.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Funny, SM, I never thought of that. I don't remember any of them praising the others' singing! Or musicianship! I think its just a given that they are what they are - they are all epic singers in a very successful band. It's like, obvious. The only comment I can think of is Glenn's in HOTE re: We had Don Henley. It's funny to think about - Joe: "OMG, Timothy, you have such a good singing voice." "So do you, Joe! And you're a good guitar player!" "Thanks!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Do the other Eagles ever praise Glenn’s singing? As far as I know, Don Henley never does. Timothy never does either.
    Not complimenting his singing but when Long Road Out Of Eden was released, Henley singled out special praise for Glenn's line in, It's Your World Now. "Be part of something good, leave something good behind." He may even have said it was the best line on the album. More's the pity that they've never performed it live.

Henley also praised Joe's guitar playing, something that I've never heard Felder do.

I'd love to know what Felder thought of the idea to add Joe to their ranks in 1975. Having 4 lead singers is one thing but 3 lead guitarists in an M.O.R., harmony vocal, mainstream, country rock band is really pushing it. It all kinda makes sense when you hear Try And Love Again, though.

Sorry I haven't got a Felder vid to enjoy.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    If you wish to put in such blunt terms, no, I suppose they don't, and they don't really need to do so.

Glenn, on the other had, Mr Ego, was the one who said 'I sang less because we had Don Henley'.

My point was that Felder wrote a book about the Eagles in which he refused to mention either Glenn's songs or his lead vocals. He pretended they didn't exist. He then made his big statement in HOTE that Henley was the best singer in the band as if that was a given & there could be no argument with it.

He is enttiled to his opinion, of course. But it's a bit sad that he could work with someone for so long and apparently believe for all that time that his colleague was a talentless hack.... while taking the money. If nothing else, despite his intense dislike of Glenn, isn't there something called professional courtesy which should mean you can acknowledge that someone is talented even if you hate them? Glenn, on the other hand, went out of his way to praise Felder's guitar work even after the band broke up.

See my post above about ignoring or minimising the work of your colleagues. Now I have said as much on this subject as I wish to say.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-29-2015 at 10:07 PM.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1tDjcH4nU[/ame]

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'd love to know what Felder thought of the idea to add Joe to their ranks in 1975. Having 4 lead singers is one thing but 3 lead guitarists in an M.O.R., harmony vocal, mainstream, country rock band is really pushing it. It all kinda makes sense when you hear Try And Love Again, though.
    I can see what you're trying but it's not entirely accurate to say that they were adding another lead guitarist, they were replacing Bernie (who played lead guitar on several songs on One Of These Nights) with Joe, which leads on to my second point which is that they ceased to be a country rock band when Joe joined, and had been shifting away from this direction as from On The Border onwards. Out of all the band members past and present, Bernie was the member who was most 'country rock', Joe the least so.

In any case, I don't hear any country on Hotel California, I've sometimes seen NKIT described as a country rock song but I don't hear it, The Last Resort features pedal steel but that alone doesn't make a song 'country' (I don't consider Joe's Second Hand Store, for instance, to fit this category either) and Try And Love Again I see as a rock ballad, more in the vein of Is It True? than Peaceful Easy Feeling. I certainly don't hear it on The Long Run either, an album made up almost entirely of rockers and R&B-type songs - if that had been the first Eagles album I'd heard I certainly wouldn't have though they were once a country rock band.