Page 10 of 136 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    I appreciate what you're saying, FP, but many football fans here have a very harsh opionion about the NE Patriots for a variety of reasons. I don't think a lot of people outside the New England area really root for them.
    Like the fact that they cheated?

Maleah said it -not me!! LOL! Let's just say, if they do have a "perfect season" hopefully it has a great big ole *asterisk* next to it in the record book.

Dreamer, no one can take away what the Dolphins accomplished. They will forever in a lot of fans minds be the greatest team ever.

NE Patriot's wide receiver Randy Moss with a Superbowl ring is pretty painful for me to think about. He's just a punk. I've heard he's in trouble with the law again -for punching a woman.

The Brett Favre retirement talk has already begun here in Wisconsin. I certainly hope he announces his intentions quickly or it's going to be a very long offseason hearing about it nearly every day.

Gee, I went to church on Sunday and prayed for a victory ...I just don't know how this happened!

It will take a few days to get overy feeling bummed. I'll try really hard to hang my head high. Let's just say we're all doing the "Lambeau Weep" instead of the Lambeau Leap!

But...only 10 weeks until baseball season starts! Go Brewers!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    It will take a few days to get overy feeling bummed. I'll try really hard to hang my head high. Let's just say we're all doing the "Lambeau Weep" instead of the Lambeau Leap!

But...only 10 weeks until baseball season starts! Go Brewers!!
    Molly, I'm sure you will recover soon. But all I can say is - forget about baseball season 'cause GOLF season starts in just about two weeks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

You all know what a football fanatic I am -especially my Green Bay Packers. As many of you have probably heard, this past week, our amazing quarterback, Brett Favre announced his retirement after 17 unbelievable seasons.

Here in Wisconsin, you would have thought that nothing else is happening in the world, it's all anyone can talk about, and pretty much all our local news is showing. I've had to remind myself, the man didn't die, he just retired -people have gotten a little crazy with this around here.

I was very good until I watched his emotional "official" announcement in Green Bay late last week. Then I cried myself silly!

Indulge me to share a few pictures of one of my heroes:

My favorite picture of Brett ever -this one shows how he played -full of spirit and joy for the game

Fighting back the tears at his press conference this week.

Goodbye, Brett. See you in the Hall of Fame!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm sure you will see him in the HoF Molly! He sounds like an exceptional sportsman. I hope he has a long happy and healthy retirement. And I totally understand you shedding a few tears at the end of an era!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Aww, Molly, I can understand how you feel. I felt that way when Gary Kirsten, who played for ten years for the South African cricket team, the Proteas, retired. I'm sure I'm his biggest fan, and I cried when he left the cricket arena for the last time. He was an emotional mess as his fellow players formed a guard of honour for him through which to leave the field, after helping his team to victory yet again. We have a good team, but I still miss him.

I was fortunate enough to meet him on 5 different occasions, and he's a shy and humble man. He posed with me for a photo on one occasion, and I took photos of him on more than one occasion. He also happily autographed my 5 scrapbooks of him (all on one occasion!), which became 6 a year later, and he signed that too, as well as a poster I've had on my wall for 11 years.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Molly, I know exactly how you are feeling. I, of course, felt the same way when my football idol, Dan Marino, retired in 1999 after 17 incredible seasons. However, I have been lucky that he has stayed in the spotlight, and it was a huge thrill for me to go to Canton in 2005 to see him inducted into the Pro Football HOF. You will have this same opportunity five years from now, so that'll give you something to look forward too. Brett Favre was an incredible quarterback.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Aw Molly and Dreamer, sorry that your heroes are retiring. Over here, we're just reeling from Scotland beating England in the Six Nations, and Wales beating Ireland to win the Triple Crown. Well done Wales (sorry GA!)

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    I was fortunate enough to meet him on 5 different occasions, and he's a shy and humble man. He posed with me for a photo on one occasion, and I took photos of him on more than one occasion. He also happily autographed my 5 scrapbooks of him (all on one occasion!), which became 6 a year later, and he signed that too, as well as a poster I've had on my wall for 11 years.
    You're very lucky to have all of those personal memories!

We were lucky enough to see Brett once up close and kind of personal at a celebrity golf tournament (gotta love those golf tournaments!).

My son, Peter was about 5 years old and was I was standing with Peter off the green while Brett and his party finished putting.

As Brett walked past us, Peter pointed and said to Brett, "You have a hole in your sock". He did indeed have a hole hear to top of his sock (he was wearing shorts)! Brett put his fingers to his lips and said to Peter, "Shhhh, don't tell everybody. Besides, these are my good socks!"

Oh how cute, Mol!!!! I can just picture that exchange. (and your cringe lol) I'm not sure which part I find cuter...the 5 year old honesty or the humor of the hero.

Stuck on the Border

I was just at the ABC website and saw a story headlined 'D Day for the Eagles'. I had to look. This is all it is - it won't be familiar to most of you. Any of you, probably.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin

The West Coast Eagles are the Perth Australian Rules team and are notorious for their bad behaviour in recent years. It is a disease that seems to be taking over sport in this country. Unfortunately it is also affecting Rugby League.

On which subject the season kicks off tonight with a 'local derby' against our old rivals from South Sydney. Just thought I would mention it.....