Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A change of heart for an Eagle

Default A change of heart for an Eagle

When a member of the Eagles did an interview 40 years ago, they had no idea this would all be accessible thanks to internet, youtube, etc... If you read enough, you can sometimes see an overlap of information, and sometimes you see a change... Doesn't have to be a "gotchya" moment, just a way to get the full truth, and maybe to see why the same question asked at one time, has a totally different answer later on. Especially the BEFORE/AFTER a certain guy was fired.. Usually when the guy is in the band, he's sooo great... and then afterwards, sometimes we hear the opposite.

If we put our heads together, we can get closer to the truth.

Default Re: A change of heart for an Eagle

Hmmm. Well I'm not sure what to make of this I presume you are referring to comments about Don Felder.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

That would be an example if say while he was in the group, you heard how he was their greatest guitarist, and after his departure, if we were to read how _____ was their best..

Chances are the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, since they are promoting themselves by mentioning a band member, so it's rare when there is criticism, but it exists!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    When a member of the Eagles did an interview 40 years ago, they had no idea this would all be accessible thanks to internet, youtube, etc... If you read enough, you can sometimes see an overlap of information, and sometimes you see a change... Doesn't have to be a "gotchya" moment, just a way to get the full truth, and maybe to see why the same question asked at one time, has a totally different answer later on. Especially the BEFORE/AFTER a certain guy was fired.. Usually when the guy is in the band, he's sooo great... and then afterwards, sometimes we hear the opposite.
    If we put our heads together, we can get closer to the truth.
    Mort, the Eagles were infamous for their privacy and rarely letting anything leak outside their inner circle. A lot of the info about the fighting, etc. did not come out until the last couple of years before they split up in 1980. In all truth, both Don H. and Glenn have always praised Don Felder's musical ability. Felder has not done the same towards Glenn and Don H. in both his book and interviews up until Glenn's passing.
    I have a BIL who has been in bands since he was around 14. My sister is always complaining about the "band drama". So, it is not that unusual. Bands have had in-fighting since bands were first formed.

Stuck on the Border

That would be an example if say while he was in the group, you heard how he was their greatest guitarist, and after his departure, if we were to read how _____ was their best..

Chances are the truth is usually somewhere in the middle, since they are promoting themselves by mentioning a band member, so it's rare when there is criticism, but it exists!
    I'm sorry, but you will have to be more specific. How can people respond to you when you talk in riddles? I have no idea what you refer to.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not sure what this thread is about, but they have said Don Felder is a great guitarist before and after he was fired. Don Henley called him "one of the greatest guitarists on the planet" (or something like that) in a recent interview.

But people do indeed change what they say. Sometimes it's because they promote whatever they're doing at the moment, sometimes they genuinely change their mind.

Very simple... List off stories that have changed...

On CNN, while being interviewed, Glenn talks about OOTN and looks at the camera and says "Mine" -- (who else claimed it was theirs). If we look back at interviews (text, audio, video) I'm sure there are a few stories, and I'm just interested in accuracy.

I'll give another example from a different band, Pink Floyd... In 78, Gilmour says how Rick Wright wasn't pulling his weight, and fired... When he needed them after Roger left, he said he didn't say that.

Very simple... List off stories that have changed...

On CNN, while being interviewed, Glenn talks about OOTN and looks at the camera and says "Mine" -- (who else claimed it was theirs). If we look back at interviews (text, audio, video) I'm sure there are a few stories, and I'm just interested in accuracy.

I'll give another example from a different band, Pink Floyd... In 78, Gilmour says how Rick Wright wasn't pulling his weight, and fired... When he needed them after Roger left, he said he didn't say that.
    Well Glenn said the chord progression was his as a joke of sorts. He was saying OOTN was his favorite song and said the chord progression in the song was his. I think he was just proud of his contributions to the song and was trying to establish what he had added to the song

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Well Glenn said the chord progression was his as a joke of sorts. He was saying OOTN was his favorite song and said the chord progression in the song was his. I think he was just proud of his contributions to the song and was trying to establish what he had added to the song
    Indeed. Glenn was talking about the chord progression, not the song,when he added jokingly "mine". That story has probably always been the same. Glenn's chords, band arrangement. Can't think of stories that have changed at the moment, but there must be tons of them. Personally I have criticized Felder for changing his stories, but I won't go there again.

Stuck on the Border

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of this. Do you have something specifically in mind or are you just trying to open a discussion? One way to move forward would be to post a quote, preferably with a link or other context, so that the rest of us can follow up with what we've read or heard that supports or contradicts it.