Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Border (the song)

Out on the Border

Default Re: On the Border (the song)

In the Quad version, each guy gets his own speaker:

"Nevermind your name, just give us your number." is obviously Randy and he's in Front Right.

"Nevermind your face, just show us your card." must be Bernie and he's in Back Right. I say "must be" because....

"And we wanna know, who's wing are you under?" is obviously Glen and he's in Left Back.

"You'd better step to the right or we can make it hard" is of course, the one and only Don Henley and he begins in Front Left but when he says the word "right", his vocals move from Front Left to front center to resume lead vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by That AMC Guy View Post
    In the Quad version, each guy gets his own speaker:

"Nevermind your face, just show us your card." must be Bernie and he's in Back Right. I say "must be" because....
    Thanks That AMC Guy. I’m pretty sure it’s Bernie singing that line. I love Glenn’s voice but I question whether he had the range to sing that low. And as you and others have said, it makes sense that they each would sing a line.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I think any of them could have hit that low E - perhaps even Randy. But it wouldn't have been a natural range for any of them.

Out on the Border

You know, I never thought about it being Don Felder. But had he joined the group by that point? He's only credited on the album for "Good Day in Hell" and "Already Gone".

BUT, I've pulled apart the surround version of Seven Bridges Road and listened to the Don Felder vocal track. He's not the greatest singer but he can get kinda deep.

Geez, now you've got me wondering.....

Listen to Bernie singing bass on Silver Dagger. I'm almost certain it's him

IMHO (as always. LOL), after hearing the deconstructed SBR track, I have to go with Felder for the "show us your card" line. It's more about the timbre in the voice. Any of the guys could have "hit" that E, but the vocal timbre I hear in that bit seems to match what I've heard of Felder's low range more than Bernie's. He has a growl in his voice that I just don't hear in Bernie's vocals.
    Obviously, this is completely subjective and based on my own particular ears, but that's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Although Felder is an interesting possibility, I still think it’s Bernie. There’s an interview Don F gave that was posted in his thread a few months ago, I believe. In it he mentions overdubbing some guitar to the title track of OTB. If he had added a vocal, esp. a one-liner in a prominent part of the song, I would think he would have mentioned it.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

IMO whoever sings that part doesn't use his natural voice. Well, it probably could never be Randy, but to me it sounds like someone singing with a "silly" voice. That's why I think it's hard to recognize the singer.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-20-2017 at 11:52 AM.

@chaim: Yep. Exactly. They were obviously goofing around a little. It very well could be Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    IMO whoever sings that part doesn't use his natural voice. Well, it probably could never be Randy, but to me it sounds like someone singing with a "silly" voice. That's why I think it's hard to recognize the singer.
    Exactly, that's why I was confused...after reading all this and listening again, I think it's Bernie...I thought Felder only added slide to Good Day in Hell for On the Border?

Hey, 100 posts!