Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Non-Eagles shows you plan on attending

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Upcoming Non-Eagles shows you plan on attending

Following on from Deacon and general discussion of children of famous musicians who also have a musical career, I'm now planning to see the '50 YEARS OF FRANK: DWEEZIL ZAPPA PLAYS WHATEVER THE F @%K HE WANTS' tour when it visits Birmingham in December.

As for the title of the concert: it appears that the Zappa children are suing each other. Sad.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Moon and Dweezil were always very close, still are. Dweezil is being sued by his other two siblings, apparently (it's complicated!): http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...y-feud-w431684

Stuck on the Border

NMB - Wow - that was interesting. I did not know about the feud. Sad how after Frank passed the whole family started falling apart. I always thought he was one weird guy but admired what a family man he was.

Brooke - Have a great time at the Poco concert. I have never seen Poco and perhaps should but them on my bucket list of people/groups to see.

I'm showing my age here, but I remember back in the 80s when Dweezil, Moon and sometimes Frank would hang out on MTV. I don't know if they had an actual show, it was more unstructured than that: basically just playing videos, talking and making fun of people - Peter Cetera in Dweezil's case, and Frank ranting against Slayer and Christians in general.

Hey Luvy, I hope you and the hubs enjoyed Lyle Lovett

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I'm showing my age here, but I remember back in the 80s when Dweezil, Moon and sometimes Frank would hang out on MTV. I don't know if they had an actual show, it was more unstructured than that: basically just playing videos, talking and making fun of people - Peter Cetera in Dweezil's case, and Frank ranting against Slayer and Christians in general.

Hey Luvy, I hope you and the hubs enjoyed Lyle Lovett
    NMB, thanks. The show was just exquisite. He kicked it off with, "Here I Am." He's just so great.
    That band- horns, upright bass, big drum kit and percussion, steel guitar, multiple acoustic and electric guitars, mandolin, fiddle...on and on...so absolutely fantastic. Can't praise them enough. They are a serious wall of sound.
    Also, I cannot tell you how wonderful Miss Francine Reed was and what a thrill to see her perform with Lyle.
    Fantastic evening. Highly recommend.
    Last edited by LuvTim; 07-28-2017 at 11:21 PM.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Following on from Deacon and general discussion of children of famous musicians who also have a musical career, I'm now planning to see the '50 YEARS OF FRANK: DWEEZIL ZAPPA PLAYS WHATEVER THE F @%K HE WANTS' tour when it visits Birmingham in December.

As for the title of the concert: it appears that the Zappa children are suing each other. Sad.

Wow.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Just a followup to the Dweezil Zappa thing, it appears that things are very complex.

After Frank Zappa passed, Gail Zappa (his wife and mother of the Zappa children) took over. She intended to be very protective of his legacy. However, that 'protectiveness' extended to very expensive legal work, sometimes directed at people who couldn't pay costs, even if Zappa won. Hence, the Zappa Family Trust is very considerably in debt.

The terms of Gail Zappa's will gave 30% each to Ahmet and Diva Zappa, and only 20% each to Dweezil and Moon Zappa. Hence, Ahmet and Diva Zappa together call the shots.

Gail Zappa made an agreement with Dweezil Zappa that proceeds from Zappa merchandise sold during Zappa Plays Zappa shows would be split 50/50 between Dweezil Zappa and the family trust. However, Gail Zappa took all the money. This is important, because it's difficult to make a profit on tours (see comments by Don H - I mean=: if Don H can't make a profit), and merchandise is often the difference between making a profit or not.

Dweezil therefore believes that he is owed money, but Ahmet and Diva have refused to pay him this money, and have only offered him a deal whereby Dweezil would pay $1 to use his father's name and likeness, but that the Zappa Family Trust would still take all merchandise money. Dweezil does not accept this. Hence new 'Dweezil' merchandise such as the t-shirt above so that Dweezil keeps the merchandise money.

It could be viewed as the Zappa Family Trust being 'stingy', but the trust is a large amount of money in debt. If the trust went bankrupt, then as far as I understand it, the copyrights and other intellectual property would be sold off to pay the debts of the trust. The trust is their inheritance, but if it goes bankrupt, then it's gone. Ahmet and Diva may appear money-grabbing, but they may be desperate to try and prevent bankruptcy and the loss of their inheritance.

The Zappa family home is already on sale to help pay debts, but this may be insufficient. There have been other auctions of Zappa stuff such as artworks.

However, Dweezil does not believe that the ZFT are doing the right things to address the financial issues. E.g. giving away (for free) use of Zappa trademarks for a forthcoming film, while Dweezil himself was asked to pay (mainly through signing over the merchandise income) to use his own father's songs, trademarks, and image.

This is not the way to preserve a legacy.

Quoting AT: Gail Zappa made an agreement with Dweezil Zappa that proceeds from Zappa merchandise sold during Zappa Plays Zappa shows would be split 50/50 between Dweezil Zappa and the family trust. However, Gail Zappa took all the money.

There's your breach of contract right there, no? And the two siblings continuing to claim all of Dweezil's merchandising are continuing the breach.

I'm no lawyer tho.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I plan on seeing J.D. Souther here in Memphis on September 23 at the Halloran Center. Its a small 361 seat venue which should be suitable for the type of performance he puts on. Looking forward to hearing his versions of some of the songs he co-wrote with the Eagles. His latest setlists shows he perrformed New Kid in Town, Sad Cafe, Heartache Tonight and Best of My Love.

Set It Off and Simple Plan, August 25 in Houston TX

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...