Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of The Confessor

Default Re: Celebration of The Confessor

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If there is anybody that likes The Confessor, I'd love to know, what it is that I'm missing.
    I talk a bit about this on the first page. I'm not saying it's the best thing he's ever done - far from it - but I think it has more pluses than minuses.

The thing is, though, that people have such different tastes in what they like that what appeals to me may really turn off others. I can't convince somebody to like it when they don't. I can only explain why I do.

I find "Slow Dancing" to be the hottest song Joe's ever released in terms of sexiness, but maybe someone else isn't that impressed with his throaty overtures. I think "Rosewood Bitters" is moving and has a lovely melody, but that's all subjective. The title track is bound to be controversial; I like its epic scope and the sophistication of the well/water imagery, but it's quite a departure for Joe, and that might be unappealing to some. "15 Years" is simple but cool. "Good Man Down" is catchy and more traditional Joe material, and I enjoy that as well - lots of energy overall and a bit of wildness when he shifts to the "the boys just love it" and the similar shifts later (ie, "the boys stop talking", "the boys start shaking" etc.)

Even "Problems", which can get annoying, is a bit of an ear worm. "Bubbles"... again, a little annoying, but at least he's trying to say something. "Dear John"... somewhat dull, but there's some real emotion behind it.

"I Broke My Leg"... well... OK. This one is awful.

However, there's more to like than not on this album, I think.

I wonder if the track listing contributed to the disappointment of some fans. He led with the three weakest songs. Not the best way to engage the listener! I can see a lot of people getting bad first impressions that influenced the perception of the rest of the album. Nowadays it's not such a big deal, but back then, waiting eagerly for the new record to hit stores, buying it as soon as it's available, rushing home with it, excitedly putting it on the record player, and then hearing "Problems" followed by "I Broke My Leg" and "Bubbles" as the first cuts... yikes.

If The Confessor was the first Joe Walsh album I'd bought, I'm sure I'd never have become a Joe Walsh fan.
    That's fair enough. This album is not the Joe of the 70s that most people fell in love with. I still don't think the album is bad, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Slow Dancing is a great song but do you realize it's a cover? I know everyone knows Rosewood Bitters is a cover song. I had no idea anyone liked this song until I started reading this website. I hate that song. I think it's one of the main things wrong with the album.

I like the story of 15 Years more than I like the song itself. Problems & Bubbles is awful as is I Broke My Leg. An embarrassment.

I do like the title track. It's easy to see why the album was called The Confessor.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Banned

Spurred on by your replies, Sodascouts and Midnight Visitor (thanks), I Googled Loz Netto's Slow Dancing. In the past there's been little info. Loz was a guitarist in Sniff 'n' The Tears. On this occasion, information's been a little more forthcoming.

http://secondhandsongs.com/work/124317/versions

There is a clip of Loz's original on his website.
    http://www.loznetto.co.uk/HTML_files...ttos_bzar.html

I think Joe's version is closer to the original than Chaka Khan's.

Slow Dancing is one of Joe's best vocals imho.

Believe it or not, I quite liked I Broke My Leg. Totally unpretentious. I prefer the lyrics of IBML to the lyrics of the title track. Pretentious twaddle.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY TO THE CONFESSOR!!!

I'm a little late to the party but, it's unbelievable that this album is 30 years old. I am one who likes this better than Joe's 90's albums. It's not my favorite, but to me, it's one of his better efforts.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

This must be longest article about The confessor I've ever seen! although not much is dedicated to the actual grooves;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-the-confessor/

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    This must be longest article about The confessor I've ever seen! although not much is dedicated to the actual grooves;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-the-confessor/
    Not to mention inaccurate. Life's Been Good was NOT a hit before Joe joined the Eagles. It wasn't released until well after HC.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Once again, happy birthday to The Confessor!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I'm playing a little 'catch up' on the board, so I wanted to wish a belated Happy Anniversary to The Confessor as well.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy Anniversary to The Confessor! I first listened to Rosewood Bitters only about half a year ago and it's my most-listened-to song on Spotify. Just a freakin' amazing song on a great album.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Here's a fun video of Joe promoting the record on Letterman in 1985. Apparently he was "moving some of these boys". I wonder why he never talks about the actual records in these late night interviews. Or even perform songs from them!

Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-3xOLVQ6k
    "City streets don't have much pity,
    When you're down, that's where you'll stay..."
    -Joe Walsh