Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Happy anniversary HFO! I don't have this album, but I do love the songs on it!

I remember how excited I was to get some "New" Eagles music. I was so happy to see them together again and making music.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I was listening to Hell Freeze Over today and it reminded me how much I love the song Learn To Be Still. It's one of those Eagles' songs (along with The Girl From Yesterday) that I don't hear too much because it I honestly don't play the CD that often. I like all four of the new tracks on the album, but Learn To Be Still is very underrated, IMHO. I rate it right in the mix with Get Over It and Love Will Keep Us Alive. Although Glenn's voice is absolutely gorgeous on The Girl From Yesterday, it is probably my least favorite of the four - mainly because it's a little too country for my taste. I thought I'd post this and see what some of you others think since these songs don't get that much discussion. So what say you? ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I agree with you Dreamer regarding Girl From Yesterday--great song but my least fave of the 4 new ones.

I remember watching HFO the first time and instantly loving Get Over It and it's remained my favorite of the 4 new songs on HFO. I would say Learn To Be Still would probably be my second fave. I know it's probably surprising to hear me say Love Will Keep Us Alive was kind of a disappointment the first time I heard it, don't really know why. I think it might be because I didn't find it as dynamic, as I expected it to be, as I Can't Tell You Why? But it's grown on me over the years.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

1. Love Will Keep Us Alive - Beautiful melody, gorgeous vocal by Timothy and great guitar work.

2. Learn To Be Still - A very close second, perhaps squeezed out only because it's not played in concert regularly like LWKUA is.

3. Get Over It - I like it - it's got high energy and a great message, but there are no famous Eagles harmonies.

4. The Girl From Yesterday - I agree with Dreamer and TBF - a little too country for my taste and a bit of a snoozer. When watching the DVD this is the part where I usually leave the room to get a snack.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I love The Girl From Yesterday. I'm not a fan of Country & Western per se, but I don't find that TGFY is too C&W for my taste. I love Glenn's voice in the song, full of emotion.The words move me (although I can't figure out why). I especially like the double meaning of the line "how someone who had been so close, could be so far away".

I think TGFY ties with Get Over It as my favourite of the 4 songs. It really rocks! It depends on what king of mood I'm as to which would be the favorite at any given moment.

LTBS & LWKUA would tie for 3rd place. It's a shame that LTBS isn't played more. Just MHO.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

I can't tell you why.........

....but from the 4 "new" songs my favs are

1. Learn to be still
    2. The Girl from Yesterday
    3. Love will keep us alive
    4. Get over it
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

It's interesting how different the songs are rated by each person.

Lest we forget

My ranking:

1. Get Over It
    This song rocks - great guitar parts, fast-moving beat, belting out those clever and funny lyrics at the speed of light, catchy melody - love it!

2. The Girl from Yesterday

I saw the show on MTV and back then, before I really even had an appreciation of the Eagles, Glenn's impassioned vocals struck me. I also like the harmonies. However, I do think it's very country (as Glenn himself states), so I understand why that can turn some folks off. At the time he was considering doing a country album.... my how things change!

3. Love Will Keep Us Alive
    I hold this in a lot higher regard than some who consider it cheesy - I find it to be an appealing love song with a pretty melody.

4. Learn to Be Still
    Ironically, this is my least favorite. It's not that it's bad; it's just that I find the melody a little less interesting than the other songs and the lyrics border on preachy sometimes.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

"Get over it" is definately my favorite song on HFO...I think they should always sing it in the concerts...although I'm NOT a country fan...Glenn does an amazing job on TGFY...his voice is superb and he put lots of "feelings" into it...