Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hotel California 40th Anniversary New CD reissue

Glenn sang great in NKIT. We know he couldn't have gone to the studio to fix his parts, so it's 100% live unless they took bits from different performances to fix mistakes. I might buy the product in the future if/when it will be cheaper. Probably used ones will appear on eBay. (If I manage to order one before Don Henley. )

Out on the Border

New guy alert! hehe

I have the older SACD of Hotel California and this new release is supposed to be the same mix, just in slightly better quality.

If you've never heard Hotel in Surround, you owe it to yourself to do so. On the title track, the guitar play between Joe and Don Felder are mixed wide so you have Joe on the left and Don on the right. When they get to playing back and forth, each guitar is opposite the other.

It's not the most aggressive mix I've ever heard, but it's very, very well done for a "modern" mix.

Supposedly, Hotel was mixed to Quad back in 1977, but was shelved due to most record companies abandoning Quad around that time. I wonder if the mix was ever started or completed and what it sounds like?

Quote Originally Posted by That AMC Guy View Post
    New guy alert! hehe

I have the older SACD of Hotel California and this new release is supposed to be the same mix, just in slightly better quality.

If you've never heard Hotel in Surround, you owe it to yourself to do so. On the title track, the guitar play between Joe and Don Felder are mixed wide so you have Joe on the left and Don on the right. When they get to playing back and forth, each guitar is opposite the other.

It's not the most aggressive mix I've ever heard, but it's very, very well done for a "modern" mix.

Supposedly, Hotel was mixed to Quad back in 1977, but was shelved due to most record companies abandoning Quad around that time. I wonder if the mix was ever started or completed and what it sounds like?
    Welcome! I know the band recorded the Eagles eponymous album with a quadrophonic setup but it also never got released. I would like to have heard those records on quadrophonic setup

So what does everyone think of the reissue? I bought the double cd today at my local record store and it came with some goodies; a 40th anniversary poster, keychain that looks like an actual hotel keychain, and a Hotel California matchbook. I like that the live selections lean heavily towards Glenn. I wish "Witchy Woman" had the bluesy intro included. I love finally having a live version of "One of These Nights." You can really hear Glenn in the chorus. The actual album itself doesn't sound different from the remastered version released in the boxset a few years ago, but that's ok because I lost the Hotel California disc from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    So what does everyone think of the reissue? I bought the double cd today at my local record store and it came with some goodies; a 40th anniversary poster, keychain that looks like an actual hotel keychain, and a Hotel California matchbook. I like that the live selections lean heavily towards Glenn. I wish "Witchy Woman" had the bluesy intro included. I love finally having a live version of "One of These Nights." You can really hear Glenn in the chorus. The actual album itself doesn't sound different from the remastered version released in the boxset a few years ago, but that's ok because I lost the Hotel California disc from mine.
    I haven’t gotten the reissue yet but I’m really excited for the live album. It’s great that almost all the songs on it were not done on the Eagles live. The only song I wished they put on was Best Of My Love but I’m really excited for WW,OOTN, and AG. It’s too bad they didn’t put on the blues intro. That really rocks

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I just received my bundle in the mail so I have not listened to it yet. However I am loving the hardback book that comes with the bundle. It is 44 pages with various photos.
    This bundle does not come with the matchbook or hotel keyring. That is cool! And now I want those. LOL!

The remastered HC album is now on Spotify -- with the live tracks included!

I don't yet have the cash to pick up the 40th anniversary edition, but at least I can hear it on Spotify!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    The remastered HC album is now on Spotify -- with the live tracks included!

I don't yet have the cash to pick up the 40th anniversary edition, but at least I can hear it on Spotify!
    Thanks for this! I have my copy on the way but I really love the live tracks I heard on XM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

@WF88-- You're very welcome! The sound quality on the live tracks is peerless, and I don't know that I've ever heard Randy sing TITTL any better than in this performance. Wow. Wow. Wow. And Glenn just sounds -- amazing on NKIT. Pure honey.

I am one happy Eagles fan this evening!

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's awesome about the book, keychain, and matchbook. And so happy it's on Spotify!!!
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."