Page 77 of 116 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

I don't really have anything to add and I think you all are right on in your assumptions here. I'm sure Joe and Timothy felt bad for Felder at the time, but the truth is, they still wanted to be in the band. They wanted the money more than they wanted to be Felder's friend. Had they sided with Felder would have meant the end of the band completely. No more albums, no more touring, no more money! And they have continued for how many more years now? 13! And even if they were hating each other during the making of LROOE, evidently they continued to get along well enough to tour all these years since, and do the HotE dvd and tour!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Felder's book, the documentary and Marc Eliot's book all tell pretty much the same stories just from different points of view. The doc treads lightly on the friction between Henley and Frey whereas Felder probably omits some of his own annoying behaviour because it wasn't annoying to him.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I agree with you, TLR, which is why I feel it points to just how much damage Felder did that he didn't put in his book. Glenn and Don had gotten to the point where it was fire Felder or once again put an end to the Eagles. Joe and Timothy were likely a little more objective and probably realized the impact it would be, not having Felder on board. They realized the scrutiny they would all undergo from media and fans alike, to once again have their motives questioned, etc. To know it could have all been avoided had to make them a little bitter. Personally, in the entire situation, I don't see where Felder respected their wishes, so I wonder why they owed anything to him at the end? He said he was fighting for their rights as well, but they obviously didn't agree with that.

You know, when you have a splinter under your fingernail that keeps getting more and more irritating, to the point where the entire finger is jeopardized, a person has to make the decision to either remove the splinter or eventually cut off the entire finger. Right or wrong, Glenn and Don felt that was the decision they had to make. Timothy and Joe were close enough to know what all had happened and for reasons we can only speculate about, they didn't stand with Felder. He may have felt betrayed, but we haven't heard any details from the other four sides of the story. All I can say, is when four stand together and one is on the outside, I have to consider that maybe the story behind the four is the most accurate, even if I don't know what that story is. I just know the story I've heard from the one on the outside is not the full truth.

As for LROOE, it pains me to say this, because I absolutely love Don. But we heard about his new solo album in 2009 and it's now the fall of 2014. Where is it? He wants to give his fans the best he can give, but he seems to be blinded by the fact they'd rather have something that's only 99.9999% perfect than nothing at all. Things like this would have driven the others completely crazy during LROOE. As much as I love Glenn to pieces, I don't really think he's the easiest person to work with. He knows where to lead the band, and even if he's 100% correct, I'm betting his methods are less than subtle. And Joe...I bet he has a rough time hiding his impatience, and he can be completely quiet and you still know what he's thinking like he's shouting it. There's a fine line between love and hate at times, I know how I can feel when I have to deal with my family and they don't fall into whatever line I think they should be in. They're family, so I have to deal with them and not walk away. Yet I still love them and would go to the wall for them. To me, the fact that making the album created conflicts is a good indication of how much they cared about it, and even if they did hate each other, they worked it out and they are still together.

Agreed. I would rather dwell on that and not the alleged arguments or whatever, which happens to everyone. The album was made & was a huge success. How they dealt with it is their business. It is unfortunate though that during the HOTE era, both in the documentary & the tour, they have chosen to almost totally ignore it.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I would be surprised if they "still fight," though I believe they did during the making of LROOE. I have to believe they have zero contact with each other except when they're on stage or making a required appearance. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards haven't been in each other's dressing room in 20 years, and I'm guessing that's how the Eagles roll as well. They used to live together, write together, record together, drink and do drugs together, of course they fought, but I'm guessing that in 2014 they keep it purely professional and their personal interactions to a bare minimum, in order to continue to be able to successfully keep this tour going.

I even question how much collaboration between Don and Glenn was required for the doc. Some, to get the right tone, etc...but I'll bet their representatives managed it without the guys once being together in person.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I don't know, MC, of course. While I see what you are saying, I guess I look at it as though they don't hang out together. They don't avoid each other, but they don't seek each other out, either. Obviously, Joe and Glenn do things together, and we saw a picture where Don and Timothy were together at a restaurant on tour.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

You said it right, VA. Probably don't seek out, but don't actively avoid.

The fact that Don and Timothy were with the guy from the hottest band in the UK makes me think it was some sort of industry event, not that Don and Timothy were having a dinner together and just happened to run into him! But, obviously I have no idea. I don't know what Joe and Glenn do outside of Party of Two, which I consider work...I'm not trying to say the guys are never together in public, just that their, ummm, "interpersonal dynamics" have probably changed since LROOE and in their wisdom they try to minimize situations (particularly Don and Glenn) they know could result in conflict!!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    You said it right, VA. Probably don't seek out, but don't actively avoid.

The fact that Don and Timothy were with the guy from the hottest band in the UK makes me think it was some sort of industry event, not that Don and Timothy were having a dinner together and just happened to run into him! But, obviously I have no idea. I don't know what Joe and Glenn do outside of Party of Two, which I consider work...I'm not trying to say the guys are never together in public, just that their, ummm, "interpersonal dynamics" have probably changed since LROOE and in their wisdom they try to minimize situations (particularly Don and Glenn) they know could result in conflict!!
    It looked like a regular restaurant to me, but perhaps it's one popular with celebrities? This past trip to the UK, Joe and Glenn and their wives went out with Sir Paul for his birthday. I've seen pics of Glenn and Joe at a basketball game as well, maybe 2012? While they were on tour.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I don't really have anything to add and I think you all are right on in your assumptions here. I'm sure Joe and Timothy felt bad for Felder at the time, but the truth is, they still wanted to be in the band. They wanted the money more than they wanted to be Felder's friend. Had they sided with Felder would have meant the end of the band completely. No more albums, no more touring, no more money! And they have continued for how many more years now? 13! And even if they were hating each other during the making of LROOE, evidently they continued to get along well enough to tour all these years since, and do the HotE dvd and tour!
    Right and I'm not exactly sure what Felder meant when he said he was fighting for "them"? Joe and TBS had been well paid employees and it's unlikely there was any hint that they would make partner at that time. Felder was fighting a losing battle to keep a right that he could no longer really claim to be his due to his lack of "leadership", he was always more of a "junior" partner anyway, not like Charlie is in the Stones to Mick or Keith. More like Ronnie and if Mick and Keith decided Ronnie had to go he'd be gone, (junior) partner or not. Again, he had the law on his side as was proven in court but for the dynamics of the band it didn't really make sense to keep that situation from the past. He should have realized that and maybe have his attorneys work something out behind the scenes...although of course that would have weakened his position in a later battle in court.

I remember Frey deriding Felder in an interview because he'd given up music and gone into real estate, i.e. not an artist, only interested in the money, so I guess he took comfort in that when he had to buy him out in court...At the end of the day, the fans are those who really lost out.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    I remember Frey deriding Felder in an interview because he'd given up music and gone into real estate,
    Do you remember where this was? It's not one I've seen/heard (which only means I haven't found it online).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, not only did Felder claim to be fighting for Joe and Tim, but, in his book, he includes Randy and Bernie as well. I have been very critical of Felder for his remarks about this because, even though it may not have been his intent, it comes across as very insulting and insensitive to me. It makes these other men appear to be weak and spineless that they would need Felder to fight for them. I believe if Bernie, Randy, Joe, or Tim had something worth fighting for, they were quite capable of waging their own battles. They didn’t need an uninvited self-appointed savior.

With regard to the lawsuit, I have to disagree with the statement that Felder “had the law on his side as was proven in court.” Nothing was proven in court because the case never went to trial. Whenever there is a settlement of this kind, it means there is a mutual agreement where neither party admits guilt. One reason that parties usually settle is because there is no clear winner and each side bears some culpability. Also, it seems to me that it is hard for either side to declare victory when you initially sue for $200 million and end up settling out of court for $20-$30 million, but I guess that is debatable. When Felder was fired, he was given three $1000 checks from Irving, Glenn, and Don H. Even though they had to know that this would be unacceptable to Felder, they apparently never offered a settlement at that time. That tells me that they knew a lawsuit was inevitable and this was their way of saying ‘bring it on’. Additionally, you have to remember that Felder violated a clause in his contract by refusing to surrender his shares in the band’s corporation upon his departure. So, there was lots of legal wrangling back and forth, and we’ll, obviously, never know what the outcome would have been if the case had been fully litigated in court.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016