Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley in Berkeley, CA - July 23, 2016

Default Re: Don Henley in Berkeley, CA - July 23, 2016

Welcome, Rudie!

I daresay Don wouldn't want you to be disruptive about yelling Happy Birthday. That said, if you're close enough and it's at the end or something, I might give it a shot. Just don't be that obnoxious person that hollers it again and again and again while he's trying to do "Desperado."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks Freypower and Sodascouts! Yeah, I'll probably won't do anything, since I'm a shy person anyways. Plus, I'll be too far away. Come to think of it, if I were to do it, then I think the best would be at the very end, like when he's done. But anyways, thanks for sharing your experiences and advice!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I don't think it would hurt a thing at the very end while he's waving to the crowd. But yes, just once! Go for it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Alright, thanks for the encouragement, Brooke! Trying at the very end shouldn't be too disruptive.

Do any of the Borderers have some tips/advice for concert-going? I've never been to one before, so I was wondering if there were good things to know beforehand. I don't really like surprises unless they're pleasant ones of course. I know that Don has a strict phone policy, but hopefully, he loosens to for HC like he did in Europe. Also, what do you guys think of buying souvenirs like the shirts? Should I expect overpriced shirts? I'm pretty thrifty but I'm leaning towards buying a shirt.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I bought a shirt at the Manchester show - it's blue with a small 'Don Henley tour 2016' logo on the front and a guitar machine head on the back. I love it, it's quite a subtle design and it really suits me. I'd definitely get a T-shirt if you like the styles they have. My T-shirt cost me £25 (pound sterling) - unfortunately I don't know the US prices, or how that compares to other artists T shirts.

I was fairly 'green' when I went to see Don too - my only previous rock concert was Neil Young two years ago. I don't know who's supporting if anyone, although on the UK tour it was JD Souther & The Straight Shot (EDIT: They seem to be touring with Joe this summer, so probably not them https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...391#post337391). At my show I think they played for about an hour starting around 7:30, with half an hour's break until Don came on. Definitely make sure you're there when Don starts!
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 07-23-2016 at 03:12 AM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    on the UK tour it was JD Souther & The Straight Shot (EDIT: They seem to be touring with Joe this summer, so probably not them https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...391#post337391). At my show I think they played for about an hour starting around 7:30, with half an hour's break until Don came on. Definitely make sure you're there when Don starts!
    It was who? Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork.

I went for the Cass County t-shirt with a massive photo of Don on the front and seven European tour stops on the back. I'm presuming they were US sizes as I went XL and it fits me like a parachute. I tend to buy a t-shirt at every concert I go to, incidentally the two worst acts I've ever seen are also the two best band t-shirts I've ever got.

RCF - There tends to be at least one person every concert who will shout something, if you're feeling brave you could use that as a sort of litmus test, if people laugh and Don doesn't look too bothered then you could probably get away with it. The only other thing you really need to know is no phones at all during the performance (that got extended to the support act in the UK). Most of all, enjoy!

Border Troubadour

I will add more generally on the t-shirt front, I'd go for it. When the Eagles came over here in June 2014 for what turned out to be the last time, I got the tour shirt with Hotel California on the cover, and an On the Border one which remains my favoruite shirt. It might be a bit expensive (apparently £25 is $33) but it serves as a memento over the years. I can remember very little of the two concerts in question now, but the t-shirts still bring back what I can recall of it. They also do mugs, baseball caps etc if you're after something different. There were only two options per gender for t-shirts for Dons concerts so hopefully that makes it a bit easier to choose!

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    It was who? Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork!
    Ha! That's very possible TLR he did go on and on and on....

I bought the tee-shirt 'All she wants to do is dance' in medium which fits okay so it's about size 12 (European). I also bought a mug with Don's face on it and enjoy locking lips with him when I'm drinking my tea I was sorry I didn't buy the drum sticks as well but they were all sold out after the Dublin show!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    It was who? Legend has it they won't be on tour with Don this summer as they're still introducing their songs in Cork.

I went for the Cass County t-shirt with a massive photo of Don on the front and seven European tour stops on the back. I'm presuming they were US sizes as I went XL and it fits me like a parachute. I tend to buy a t-shirt at every concert I go to, incidentally the two worst acts I've ever seen are also the two best band t-shirts I've ever got.

RCF - There tends to be at least one person every concert who will shout something, if you're feeling brave you could use that as a sort of litmus test, if people laugh and Don doesn't look too bothered then you could probably get away with it. The only other thing you really need to know is no phones at all during the performance (that got extended to the support act in the UK). Most of all, enjoy!
    Call it wishful thinking about the support act! Now if I'm ever lucky enough to meet JD Souther I'll have to explain to the man who wrote/co-wrote Doolin-Dalton, New Kid In Town, How Long etc. that I mistook him for a guy dressed as a magician saying 'Ballyhoo' at random intervals... The legend is probably true, I can't disagree about the length of his introductions!

tlr has a very good point about people shouting stuff. Early in the Manchester show I think there was one woman who shouted something quite funny early on and Don was amused (I can't remember what she said, although it certainly wasn't 'Don Felder taught Tom Petty to play guitar' or anything like that!)