Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More info about Don singing with Mojo Nixon

Default More info about Don singing with Mojo Nixon

I found this on the web today too (I've been a busy bee lol)

O: And your [1990] song about Don Henley ("Don Henley Must Die") was fairly scathing, but later you became friends.

MN: That's the weird thing. Me and Don Henley are fast acquaintances now, or something. He actually got on stage and sang with me. To quote my drummer, he must've had balls bigger than church bells to do that. It was in Austin. He has friends there, and there were rumors that he may come out to this little place where we were playing. The thing that really shocked me was that this was a rabid Mojo crowd in this tiny place, and they went from being rabid Mojonites to star-struck within a quarter of a second. He got on stage and he was drunk out of his mind, so I said, "Whaddya want? You wanna fight? You wanna debate?" And he said, "I want to sing the song, especially the part about not getting together with Glenn Frey." And it was great. For once in my life, I had nothing to say. Totally fucking speechless. We played "Already Gone" as he left. And the place was jammed, but nobody had a camera. Not one. It's a mystery event. Maybe it didn't happen or somethin'.

O: But it did.

MN: Oh, yeah, it did. Don Henley, I agree with a lot of his political things... but he was in The Eagles! The fucking country Monkees of the '70s! They're one step above Firefall! How can you take them seriously?

O: But when they reunited, people paid over $100 to see them stand there and play "Hotel California."

MN: And they stand there, too. Joe Walsh can't move. If he moves, he'll fall over. I met Joe Walsh trying to rehabilitate in Memphis years ago. I can't believe he was touring! His brain seemed totally scrambled. I'm talking scrambled scrambled. He could hardly hold a conversation. He's just a big mess. I said, "Whoa, I don't want to end up like that! Not for a couple years, anyway!" The other thing about singing songs about people is that now I'm kind of linked forever with Don Henley in people's minds. I'm having a nightmare that the same thing might happen with Morrissey. I have this vision of myself on Dutch TV doing a duet with Morrissey. And I don't want this to happen!

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/22967

Funny!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

For those not familiar with that song, here are the lyrics:

This is the sound of my brain.

Then I said, this is the sound of my brain on Don Henley!

Then I said, 1 2 3 4...

He's a tortured artist
    Used to be in the Eagles
    Now he whines
    Like a wounded beagle
    Poet of despair!
    Pumped up with hot air!
    He's serious, pretentious
    And I just don't care
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!
    Don Henley must die!

Turn on the TV
    And what did I see?
    This bloated hairy thing
    Winning a Grammy
    Best Rock Vocalist?
    Compared to what?
    But your pseudo-serious
    Crafty Satanic blot
    Don Henley must die!
    Put a sharp stick in his eye!
    Don Henley must die!
    Yea yea yea

Quit playin' that crap
    You're out of the band

I'm only kidding
    Can't you tell?
    I love his sensitive music
    Idiot poetry, swell
    You and your kind
    Are killing rock and roll
    It's not because you are O L D
    It's cause you ain't got no soul!
    Don't be afraid of fun
    Loosen up your ponytail!
    Be wild, young, free and dumb
    Get your head out of your tail
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!

Don Henley must die!
    Put him in the electric chair
    Watch him fry!
    Don Henley must die
    Don Henley must die
    No Eagles reunion
    The same goes for you, Sting!

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.ph...22107858627835

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

That is weird. I have no idea who Mojo Nixon is

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic
    That is weird. I have no idea who Mojo Nixon is
    I think he sings a lot of parodies, like Weird Al Yankovic. I hadn't heard of him before either.

But parodies are usually funny. This left an unpleasant taste in my mouth. The ridicule is one thing but wishing for someone's death to the point of siting the method? Not for me.

I stumbled across Mojo Nixon when I began researching Don several years ago ( I had never heard of him either), and I actually bought the CD that has that song on it from ebay. The song is hilarious! And the fact that Don showed up at that gig and played the song with Mojo totally won him over. All things consdered, Mojo is a pretty obscure singer/songwriter, but I loved it that Don got the joke.

I am also a big Sting fan, so I also thought it was hilarious that Mojo included Sting in the last line too. He managed to skewer my two favorite singers on the planet in the same off-the-wall song!

Stuck on the Border

Perhaps someone should tell him that Joe's rehabiliation was successful.

This stuff to me seems to be 'clever for the sake of being clever' except that it isn't. I did know about all this but that was the first time I had read the entire lyrics. I think I will stick with Denis Leary's 'how long's your ponytail now Don'. At least he had a few points to make about 'political' musicians. This has nothing of any value whatsoever. The fact that Don got up on stage and sang it when he was drunk does not redeem it.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister
    But parodies are usually funny. This left an unpleasant taste in my mouth. The ridicule is one thing but wishing for someone's death to the point of siting the method? Not for me.
    Lighten up! He was just joking!

Sorry Sweetie. It's just my opinion that frying in the electric chair isn't joke material. To each his own.

Have to agree with PLS here. Granted, there are a couple of parts on the song that made me smile..........but there are parts, like the section that PLS mentioned, that leave me feeling a little sick.