Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyin Eyes Song Analysis

Default Lyin Eyes Song Analysis

I came across this video of someone analyzing the music and lyrics to LE. It seemed pretty interesting—he brought up some aspects I never thought about. I searched for a general thread about this song but only found a couple that were quite specific in the topic e.g. the radio version.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmhEzSnJXPc[/ame]

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Out on the Border

Default Re: Lyin Eyes Song Analysis

That was so interesting. Thanks!

It's interesting to see the guy talk about the music in the song. To me I'll always love New Kid In Town more than lyin eyes, despite vastly inferior lyrics, because I found LE to be musically boring. The harmonies are great on the chorus but there aren't many throughout the song and they are mixed kinda low. I think it could have been an incredible song with a more up tempo ( like they do live) and some more guitar fills. But it's still a great song

Border Rebel

Thanks, Delilah. Interesting analysis. I don't know anything about musical arrangement, but tried to follow along and got at least part of it I think. I think he did a good job on the lyrics, except the part about a possibly Hispanic boy was a reach. I've always loved this song...one of my favorites! You are so good at finding these things!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    To me I'll always love New Kid In Town more than lyin eyes, despite vastly inferior lyrics, because I found LE to be musically boring.
    Funny, I think the exact opposite

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    It's interesting to see the guy talk about the music in the song. To me I'll always love New Kid In Town more than lyin eyes, despite vastly inferior lyrics, because I found LE to be musically boring. The harmonies are great on the chorus but there aren't many throughout the song and they are mixed kinda low. I think it could have been an incredible song with a more up tempo ( like they do live) and some more guitar fills. But it's still a great song
    I don't know how LE could have been any more uptempo without the story getting lost. That almost happens in Dylan's Tangled Up In Blue, wonderful though that is. As for the harmonies being mixed 'low' I completely disagree. There are just enough harmonies to support Glenn's superb lead vocal. Any more, again, would have detracted from the story.

I don't know what you mean by the lyrics of NKIT being 'inferior' to LE. In what way? NKIT is a superior song, yes, but how the lyrics are inferior to LE totally escapes me. They are far more complex.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-29-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't know how LE could have been any more uptempo without the story getting lost. That almost happens in Dylan's Tangled Up In Blue, wonderful though that is. As for the harmonies being mixed 'low' I completely disagree. There are just enough harmonies to support Glenn's superb lead vocal. Any more, again, would have detracted from the story.

I don't know what you mean by the lyrics of NKIT being 'inferior' to LE. In what way? NKIT is a superior song, yes, but how the lyrics are inferior to LE totally escapes me. They are far more complex.
    I like how they play it live Vs The record. In the DC film it at least seems to me to be played a faster pace. I just disagree about them not being loud enough. I think that until the third verse they don’t play a major role (aside from the chorus obviously). I personally find the lyrics in Lying eyes to be better. I like the story. I don’t hate the lyrics in new kid in town but the music and the vocals make it special to me not the lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Lying eyes and New kid in town are close to equal in terms of how important they are to the bands history, legacy, chart placement etc. I think new kid in town has almost assuredly better music (at least more interesting, fun etc) and it has more vocal harmonies and energy. So the question is why is lyin eyes close to NKIT in the categories I mentioned. It’s because of the lyrics and the story is plays. It carries that song through an otherwise boring song

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Thanks, Delilah. Interesting analysis. I don't know anything about musical arrangement, but tried to follow along and got at least part of it I think. I think he did a good job on the lyrics, except the part about a possibly Hispanic boy was a reach. I've always loved this song...one of my favorites! You are so good at finding these things!
    Total overreach about the boy at school possibly being Hispanic, & overreach in assuming the narrator knows the woman personally because of the 'I thought by now you'd realise' line. I am also not sure about the young lover being naive & believing the woman will return to him. As this was analysed, how about the husband's 'he knows where she's going'. The husband knows she is cheating on him. It's highly significant & the guy doesn't mention it.

A 'tender love triangle' indeed.

There is very few Eagles songs I don't like or skip. I even like the mostly hated tunes on The Long Run album.

Lyin' Eyes is one of those songs. With long songs they can go two ways for me, either it's boring or it keeps my attention. Hotel California has no problem keeping my attention for 7 or so odd minutes. Lyin' Eyes is just too boring.

I definitely echo the sentiment about preferring NKIT, but it wasn't always that way. I used to not like it either, but now I do so maybe someday I'll like it better. I feel like same way about Tequila Sunrise. It just doesn't do anything for me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."