Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

Default Re: Celebration of "Hell Freezes Over"!

It at once angers and saddens me when Don goes off on such tangents, (Fail Grasp, etc.), Seemingly blaming Christians and Americans in general for the actions of a few corrupt people. Greedy people have wrecked the environment. Some evil folks use religion to manipulate others. Loved ones suffer and die in this imperfect world. His anger and bitterness IMO is woefully misdirected.
    I pray he finds the peace his dear grandmother knew was awaiting her when she sang "The Unclouded Day".

The Hell Freezes Over project, thankfully, shows how perceptions can change.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I think it illustrates his disillusionment with organized religion. Many people have expressed serious reservations about that, while still remaining believers. I hope Don is in that camp. Grandchildren can really change people, though, let me tell you. Usually for the better. Made a former boss of mine act half-human! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    His grandmother's favorite hymn was "The Unclouded Day" and I daresay if he had a typical upbringing in a small Texas town in the 40s and 50s, then the family went to church on Sundays.

And he nicked the chorus of "The Sweet By-and-By" by Bennett and Webster in "The Sad Cafe." I always wondered why they weren't included in the songwriting credits. Surely switching the order of the phrases isn't enough to make it "original."
    Wow, I never made that connection, but you’re right. But it’s such an old song, perhaps it has fallen into public domain. Can’t make that excuse with The Long Run though, with much of the melody “borrowed” from Tryin to Live My Life Without You.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In this song, we see him condemn Christianity as false along with other things that people are seeking to fill the void in their lives, reducing Jesus to nothing but one more "wrong god" with "starry-eyed" delusions of grandeur.

The "be still" line is not a nod to the Bible he's just disavowed. It's his replacement for the Bible. Heaven is not where you go to be with God. "Heaven [is] lying at your feet." You don't need anything external like a "starry-eyed messiah" who will just "meet a violent farewell." If you could just look away from such a messiah and "awaken" - if you could just "learn to be still" instead, then you'd find happiness. Take heed and maybe "someday you will." That's the message of this song.

Note: The opinions expressed above are my interpretation of what Henley is trying to say - not my own opinions. Quite the opposite. I'm not a fan of the song.
    I didn’t think he was espousing nor condemning Christianity. I just thought he was using these Biblical expressions as the premise for the song’s message and applying it to contemporary society. I’ll have to re-think this now. I find it sad that the 2 new songs he wrote for their 1st album in 14 years find him bitter and cynical (I’m not going to get into the hypocrisy of Get Over It).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I think it illustrates his disillusionment with organized religion. Many people have expressed serious reservations about that, while still remaining believers. I hope Don is in that camp. Grandchildren can really change people, though, let me tell you. Usually for the better. Made a former boss of mine act half-human! LOL.
    Pippin, true about grandchildren. I find it telling that Don H is the only Eagle to return to his home state (and the Bible Belt part of it too) to live and raise his children. And he married a down-home Texas gal. Perhaps he is no longer rejecting his roots as much as he has in the past (and finding peace as FreyFollower states).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I don’t think Don is calling out Christianity but is trying to make comparisons between our life and Christianity. I remember someone saying don had told Merle Haggard that the issue with today’s music is that “it’s gotten too far from the land and the church” (paraphrased). I know that could not be 100% literal but I think Don has an appreciation for religion and the values it preaches. I don’t think he cares about which religion but rather the lifestyle it fosters. Because he follows a lot of Thoreau and Emerson thinking, which isn’t exactly anti religion it preaches the individual and has some beliefs that aren’t compatiable with Christianity. I think he looks back to his childhood at church as part of his interest in literature and a childhood in which looks upon fondly. I think he looks at the lack of the church and community setting as a cause of social upheaval today. I could be wrong but that’s my take on it

Happy 24th Anniversary to the taping of Hell Freezes Over.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

tbh I really did not like HFO's new tracks that much. I only like Get Over It somewhat. I personally liked the concert more. One of the last unique setlists ever in their live performances, with rarities (for that time anyway), like Peaceful Easy Feeling, The Last Resort, Wasted Time (reprise) and In the City (which was exceptionally rare in the HFO tour). Good performances.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Happy anniversary, HFO! I love the album and the concert. I don't know why people don't like the new songs on the album, I love all 4.

I think Learn To Be still and Get Over It are very good songs. I think LWKUA is a pretty good song, and TGFY is ok. Not bad but it’s missing something. Wish we had more from them but it was still a solid effort

Also to me, the rest of the tour's setlist was meh. Too many cliched songs for the most part. I really do not care about Love Will Keep Us Alive tbh. Such a common song, even today. I only really look forward to Hotel I really do not like Henley and Frey's solo stuff that much.

And the irritating thing about the tour is that every performance was recorded. Why? Because, basically every venue has pro shot (like Christchurch), but we will never get to see it. Nor will they ever release it. Like there are good concerts from HFO, like Irvine 1994, Giants Stadium 1994, Osaka 1995, Dublin 1996, etc. Argggghhh!!! Classic Eagles. And WalshFan, if you ever see this, trust me, you have never seen an awesome setlist then. There are way better ones than Eagles Live or Christchurch. Look at the link. These are examples of a brilliant setlist. Really wish we had footage (at least audience recordings) for these concerts. Trumps HFO completely tbh.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-63c5464f.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-73c54651.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-63c5465b.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-73c12649.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-43df3ba3.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagle...-7bc12664.html
    The chemistry... nuff said