Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyin Eyes Song Analysis

Default Re: Lyin Eyes Song Analysis

I like both songs, about equally. But the narrator does go through the musical side of it with great detail, and it kind of pays tribute to Glenn, "The Lone Arranger." It's always interesting to hear that kind of analysis from someone who obviously knows his musical stuff. Good find! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    There is very few Eagles songs I don't like or skip. I even like the mostly hated tunes on The Long Run album.

Lyin' Eyes is one of those songs. With long songs they can go two ways for me, either it's boring or it keeps my attention. Hotel California has no problem keeping my attention for 7 or so odd minutes. Lyin' Eyes is just too boring.

I definitely echo the sentiment about preferring NKIT, but it wasn't always that way. I used to not like it either, but now I do so maybe someday I'll like it better. I feel like same way about Tequila Sunrise. It just doesn't do anything for me.
    I agree with you about Tequila Sunrise and Lyin eyes. On the greatest hits album those two are the ones I skip the most

Stuck on the Border

Interesting. I will check it out. I'm sure there's something like "the A major chord in the chorus is unexcpected".

Really interesting, thanks Delilah.

I always loved the arrangement and Glenn's vocal which IMHO is pretty close to perfection.

"The devil is in the details" . Agreed.
    Last edited by Dawn; 10-30-2017 at 04:16 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

After reading some comments about the song being boring I gotta say that I don't find the song boring AT ALL even though there are three long verses and nothing changes in the composition. I think there are things in the arrangement that keep it interesting, and a lot of it comes from Bernie. Like the descending tremolo mandolin after the word "school". Brilliant. Sounds very nostalgic and makes me think that Bernie probably knew what the lyric was going to be. (I assume the vocals were added last.)

Border Troubadour

Lyin' Eyes is an interesting one for me. It's a slow, slow burner; and it does often take me more effort than I should need to avoid skipping it. Lyrically, it is a very well-written story, but I prefer the complexities of NKIT to the straight out prose of LE: anyone can tell a tale, but it does take something special to be able to play with words and meaning like New Kid in Town (and several dozen other Eagles songs) does.

Musically, I get the reasoning for keeping it simple and love Bernie's little add-ins on the mandolin; but again the likes of Tequila Sunrise and NKIT absolutely annihilate it on that front too.

What I will say for LE though is the superb delivery of it from Glenn, and the harmonies of the chorus are rightly regarded as some of the greatest ever committed to an Eagles track.

You’re welcome, everyone (and thanks MM, that is kind of you to say).

I don’t think of the song as boring but I have gotten tired of it. It’s the one song I tend to skip on GH Vol 1. Yet I don’t skip it when it I’m listening to OOTN. Go figure.

The uploader of the video had a lot of praise for the arrangement and pointed out some details I hadn’t paid much attention to—the fills and piano and backing vocals and when they occur. It helps when someone knowledgeable about music discusses these intricacies even if I don’t completely understand them. Someone commented about the bass line awhile back (on YT I think), complimenting Randy’s choices and subtle changes to keep it interesting. Since then I’ve paid more attention to the bass work on this song as well as others. Before that I mainly focused on Glenn’s great vocal performance.

I always thought the lines that begin “my oh my, you sure know how to arrange things” were spoken by the rich old man who is confronting his unfaithful wife/mistress. That’s probably b/c for a long time I thought the line was “funny how you knew I didn’t change things” instead of “funny how your new life didn’t change things.”

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I have to say LE and NKIT are two of my favorite Eagles songs.
    When Glenn passed, Bernie gave a sweet interview saying how much he enjoyed the HOTE tour. He also stated that Glenn knew how to tell/write a story and that LE and NKIT were perfect examples. I never tire of listening to both of those songs. Both show Glenn's talent at singing and arranging songs.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 10-30-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

OT: I'm coveting that picture sleeve big-time. Must be rare.