Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

I didn't know Tempchin wrote a tribute song too...I agree with you all, that should have been on his album.

It's a matter of taste, I suppose, but since Privacy is being presented as the last (or one of the last) Frey/Tempchin collaborations, it is underwhelming. The gesture is nice, though.

Banned

Jack's new album is a collection of songs he wrote with Glenn or were sung by Glenn (apart from Johnny Rivers' hit, Slow Dancing), the most recent apparently being from 2002, most are a decades older. As such, There's No Goodbye doesn't quite fit into the concept of the album.

I think it'd be a bit like one of those orphan songs, that were added added to 90s Greatest Hits compilations, that end up being neglected and forgotten, like Don's, You Don't Know Me At All.

Hopefully Jack 'll release it in the not too distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack has been moved to write several songs inspired by Glenn.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 09-02-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Jack's new album is a collection of songs he wrote with Glenn, (apart from Johnny Rivers' hit, Slow Dancing), the most recent aparently being from 2002, most are a decades older. As such, There's No Goodbye doesn't quite fit into the concept of the album.

I think it'd be a bit like one of those orphan songs, that were added added to 90s Greatest Hits compilations, that end up being neglected and forgotten, like Don's, You Don't Know Me At All.

Hopefully Jack 'll release it in the not too distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack has been moved to write several songs inspired by Glenn.
    Well, yes, if you wish to take pedantry to the point of absurdity, it was not written with Glenn. Obviously. But the album is meant as a 'tribute' and therefore surely it would not have stretched the boundaries too far if it had been included. If it had, who knows. Perhaps more people may have been inclined to buy it.

Yes, it probably will be 'neglected & forgotten' but is there really any need to SAY so? I would also add that YDKMAA is not a good comparison, as it is held in high regard by many dedicated Henley fans.

As for the 'wouldn't be surprised' comment, how generous. At least Tempchin HAS made some sort of effort, whether the song is 'forgotten' or not. It is more than I can say for other former colleagues of Frey. Who cares. I downloaded it & its existence means something to some of us who actually cared about Frey.

Stuck on the Border

Here's a recent interview from Jack along with extracts from his new album.
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchi...56646379854816

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

There's also this September 7 interview with American Songwriter, wherein he speaks about his songwriting process with Glenn and other topics:
    http://americansongwriter.com/2017/0...ceful-journey/

Thank you NMB and UTW, for those links to Jack's interviews. Love Jack!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Stuck on the Border

UTW & NMB - TY for both links.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I missed some of this discussion. What's the current situation regarding the album? Any release date yet?

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I missed some of this discussion. What's the current situation regarding the album? Any release date yet?
    It's been out since the end of August. I bought it out of curiosity and because I've always liked Jack's stuff, but on the whole, I found it underwhelming. A couple of the performances struck me as being on the strange side.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Woah! I should have checked Spotify and further up the thread before posting.

Having listened to the album on Spotify, I must admit that my opinion matches yours. It's nice to hear the songs done again, but perhaps the arrangements could have been a bit more novel.